2024 F Liam McNeeley Decommits from Indiana

27 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Almost all of the Miller players who transferred out moved down in competition. That's a sign of bad player evaluation. Or maybe his coaching just made them worse. 

Of the Langford, Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee, and Forester class, the only one who wasn't a bust was Langford. You can make excuses for Hunter and Phinisee but neither performed to the level of expectations. Even after transferring, Hunter played better but not as good as expected and I would still consider a bust.

TJD and Franklin. Good class. Neither were busts.

Lander, Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway class: Lander was definitely a bust as you admit. Leal and Geronimo haven't improved which goes to poor evaluation. I don't know if I'd consider them busts as they didn't have high expectations but because of that I'm not convinced they should've been recruited in the first place. Especially to a team already lacking in talent.

Duncomb was also a bust.

That's a pretty poor showing for the players he did land. But I also look at players he missed. Two I can think of off the top of my head that Miller supposedly wanted badly were Matt Cross and Ethan Morton. Matt Cross hasn't done jack at the D1 level and has transferred multiple times. Ethan Morton has not impressed while at Purdue. I know there are other bad players he wanted and missed on but I'm not going to bother going to look. Every year I seem to see multiple players Miller missed on transferring and usually moving down.

If I remember right, we were in on Darius Garland and Tyler Herro just to name 2...

Look, Miller didn't do well at IU... But what did he have to sell? His resume wasn't sparkling... The team struggled on the floor... NIL wasn't around yet... All he really had was our history, our fanbase, and the promise of rebuilding a great program... I think that sold a lot better to in state kids... And you can't dismiss what he did in state... 

34 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Almost all of the Miller players who transferred out moved down in competition. That's a sign of bad player evaluation. Or maybe his coaching just made them worse. 

Of the Langford, Hunter, Anderson, Phinisee, and Forester class, the only one who wasn't a bust was Langford. You can make excuses for Hunter and Phinisee but neither performed to the level of expectations. Even after transferring, Hunter played better but not as good as expected and I would still consider a bust.

TJD and Franklin. Good class. Neither were busts.

Lander, Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway class: Lander was definitely a bust as you admit. Leal and Geronimo haven't improved which goes to poor evaluation. I don't know if I'd consider them busts as they didn't have high expectations but because of that I'm not convinced they should've been recruited in the first place. Especially to a team already lacking in talent.

Duncomb was also a bust.

That's a pretty poor showing for the players he did land. But I also look at players he missed. Two I can think of off the top of my head that Miller supposedly wanted badly were Matt Cross and Ethan Morton. Matt Cross hasn't done jack at the D1 level and has transferred multiple times. Ethan Morton has not impressed while at Purdue. I know there are other bad players he wanted and missed on but I'm not going to bother going to look. Every year I seem to see multiple players Miller missed on transferring and usually moving down.

Well heck this all seems like Fun in the offseason, so in spite of the fact I know crap I’ll join in! Remember when Archie came on board doing some research I realized that before Indiana he had never landed a top 100 recruit?!?! And yet he had an elite 8 team? So when he started landing some high level In-State talent things were looking up. He in retrospect started punching above his weight class! I’ll leave it at that. Archie was and Coach Davis who admitted he was punching above his weight class were doing exactly that!

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I believe pretty much everyone was saying we needed to recruit at at an elite level nationally. That doesn't mean just any out of state player. Forrester and Geronimo were not "elite" out of state recruits. 

I'll give you Thompson and Hunter for sure though, especially Hunter. 

But Miller wasn't bringing in the level of out of state recruits that Sampson, Crean and Woodson have. 

Those guys brought in out of state McDonald's AA's and top 50 recruits. 

Crean had a lot of busts and his recruiting was either a roller coaster or an offer everyone and hope some stick. He could not build a consistent contender and failed to build off the Cody team’s’ success 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If I remember right, we were in on Darius Garland and Tyler Herro just to name 2...

Look, Miller didn't do well at IU... But what did he have to sell? His resume wasn't sparkling... The team struggled on the floor... NIL wasn't around yet... All he really had was our history, our fanbase, and the promise of rebuilding a great program... I think that sold a lot better to in state kids... And you can't dismiss what he did in state... 

Archie was in over his head at Indiana - most people would be! - so I don't want to necessarily pile on. But I think his recruiting was an issue, even within the state. Talent evaluation was a big part of that.

Archie did great to land Trayce and Romeo, no doubt! But his record is spotty after that. Give him credit for landing Lander, share some blame along with the recruiting services for not recognizing the kid would struggle transitioning to college. Having Lander reclassify was an awful decision, seemingly born of a need to get talent into the program quick.

After that, none of his other in state recruits were top 100 kids. Those were some lean prep classes for the state, but still some gems to be found. Yet we took Damezi Anderson over Aaron Henry, Anthony Leal and Trey Galloway over Jaden Ivey and Nijel Pack.

You look at who we got, and it's like Archie knew fans wanted him to recruit the state, so he started at the top of the rankings and worked his way down. No apparent thought to roster building or eye toward development. As BGleas noted, it's not that Archie rocked recruiting the state. It's that he missed on damn near all his out of state targets and had to take what he could get at home. It's easy to recruit the state when you're the only big fish swimming in some of these ponds.

I like the Bill Self quote, that if you're not hearing No a lot on the recruiting trail, you're not targeting the right caliber of guys. Of course, you do have to hear Yes a few times as well. Still need to see Woodson bring this class home. Hopefully that starts soon with Liam.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, nobody is taking Trayce and Langford away from him. Those were great gets. The conversation was about elite national recruits. Miller went after a lot of highly ranked national players, but he could just never get any traction with them. He missed on almost all of them. That's what the conversation was really about. 

Miller did pretty well in-state, especially early on. With that said, I think even that gets overrated a bit. In terms of recruiting wins Langford, Trayce and even Lander (despite ending up a bust) were huge. The reality is that Anderson, Phinisee, Franklin (who I really liked), Leal and Galloway were all either outside or barely in the top 150 nationally. 

Part of Miller's downfall was taking Anderson over Aaron Henry 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Crean had a lot of busts and his recruiting was either a roller coaster or an offer everyone and hope some stick. He could not build a consistent contender and failed to build off the Cody team’s’ success 

I don't disagree, but that's not really what the topic of that conversation was. We were talking national recruiting and Crean pulled some elite national recruits. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty much a Duke lock

I've heard locked so many times only for it not to come to fruition...I will still take the field, unless there is some larger entity pushing him to Duke for some reason outside of himself. I still think Scheyer is unproven and not someone you can latch your future onto like K. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

I've heard locked so many times only for it not to come to fruition...I will still take the field, unless there is some larger entity pushing him to Duke for some reason outside of himself. I still think Scheyer is unproven and not someone you can latch your future onto like K. 

Agree.  He's still coasting on K's reputation but I didn't think he did anything special with last year's team.  Filipowski coming back didn't really lend any strength to his rep as a developer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Well he took a visit to Duke and  the next week he reclassifies. Already has another visit to Duke planned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well he took a visit to Duke and  the next week he reclassifies. Already has another visit to Duke planned.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a toss-up...just that it's never over even when the letter is signed.  I think most everyone would say Duke is probably in a strong position here.  Some are just questioning whether they deserve it given the lack of track record that the current coach has, and saying that done deals are pretty rare.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sorry if i am wrong on this, but i think you're one of the people that get upset when people post in absolutes and that IU is getting a recruit and turns out to be wrong. No?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

“(Coach Scheyer) is like a best friend to me and a coach at the same time,”  “He pushes me to be the best version of myself. We can talk about anything. That’s really good, when you can have an on-court relationship and off-court.”

That's not a McNeely quote.  That's from Mgbako after he committed.   Nothing is a Lock.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Didn't he sign with Duke

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

Yes, but high school romances can be fickle.

Only reason he isn't at Duke is two forwards came back that was expected to be back. Had nothing to do with the coaches. Also on Flagg I said pretty much a lock, not a total lock  and bet your mortgage on it

Edited by IU Scott