Dylan Harper Commits to Rutgers

tdhoosier

Unlike most of the rest of this board, I am lukewarm at best in considering this guy, or thinking he will strongly consider IU. I cannot get past the antics his brother displayed when beating us at SSAH, and can't help but believe that Ron Jr. will be in his brother's ear.

Sure I am probably wrong on this, but there are a lot of great options in this recruiting class, and don't want to bring in any negative vibes at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unlike most of the rest of this board, I am lukewarm at best in considering this guy, or thinking he will strongly consider IU. I cannot get past the antics his brother displayed when beating us at SSAH, and can't help but believe that Ron Jr. will be in his brother's ear.

Sure I am probably wrong on this, but there are a lot of great options in this recruiting class, and don't want to bring in any negative vibes at all.

I get what you’re saying. But there is a side of me that wants his bro to show up wearing IU gear to cheer for Dylan. That would be fun. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's just not that deep. The fans/media made that to be a lot more than it was. 

Dylan is my #1 in this class. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's just not that deep. The fans/media made that to be a lot more than it was. 

Dylan is my #1 in this class. 

Right, if Dylan comes it isn't like he will be some mole continuing to be an ass to IU because of his brother. And really all his brother did was celebrate after hitting a game winner, he isn't the punk that kept running his mouth.

I mentioned it a few posts up, but I think there's got to be some overlap and mutual respect between Ron Harper and Woody which would at least equal whatever Jr. would say to Dylan. Ron Jr. mostly competed against Archie teams.... I'd have had plenty of crap to talk to those teams too if I was competing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, if Dylan comes it isn't like he will be some mole continuing to be an ass to IU because of his brother. And really all his brother did was celebrate after hitting a game winner, he isn't the punk that kept running his mouth.

I mentioned it a few posts up, but I think there's got to be some overlap and mutual respect between Ron Harper and Woody which would at least equal whatever Jr. would say to Dylan. Ron Jr. mostly competed against Archie teams.... I'd have had plenty of crap to talk to those teams too if I was competing. 

Yeah, Geo Baker did nothing and ran his mouth. Harper whipped our asses while he was in college and simply let us know about it after (I assume) being trashed by our fans pretty hard for 2hrs+. Cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As I mentioned earlier, I can say reading his social media responses that his older brother is actively recruiting against us (he seemed supportive of Duke but legit commented on his IU Insta post something like, “trash jersey”). 

That said, I checked the dads Twitter page since he responds to fans and I guess he suggested that he stopped asking Dylan about the recruiting process a while back. Also he responded to multiple fan bases saying “his decision” so I think his parents are more understanding. 

Rutgers sounds like the team to beat IMO but a final 5 of just one NJ/East coast school leads me to believe he may prefer writing his own story instead of being known as Ron Harper Jr.‘s brother. 

• Like 2

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/article/dylan-harper-duke-rutgers-number-one-auburn-indiana-kansas-210257691/

If I didn’t know Duke had been recruiting him so long, I would say there’s a good chance we’ve jumped them based on his feedback. Fingers crossed they are doing the same thing with Liam and pushing to get him back on campus again. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/article/dylan-harper-duke-rutgers-number-one-auburn-indiana-kansas-210257691/

If I didn’t know Duke had been recruiting him so long, I would say there’s a good chance we’ve jumped them based on his feedback. Fingers crossed they are doing the same thing with Liam and pushing to get him back on campus again. 

Coach K is gone, the Duke name still has cachet but Scheyer still has a whole lot to prove IMO.  I don't think he is going to continue to get the benefit of the doubt without the same big results.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

As I mentioned earlier, I can say reading his social media responses that his older brother is actively recruiting against us (he seemed supportive of Duke but legit commented on his IU Insta post something like, “trash jersey”). 

That said, I checked the dads Twitter page since he responds to fans and I guess he suggested that he stopped asking Dylan about the recruiting process a while back. Also he responded to multiple fan bases saying “his decision” so I think his parents are more understanding. 

Rutgers sounds like the team to beat IMO but a final 5 of just one NJ/East coast school leads me to believe he may prefer writing his own story instead of being known as Ron Harper Jr.‘s brother. 

Kind of like what the Watford brothers did....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. Kid doesn’t deserve to be compared to his brother, but I have a hard time looking past that. I won’t be disappointed if we score on other guys and miss out on him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Crazy talk yall don't want the #2 player in the country.  

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

man, where would I be if I was held accountable for the stuff my siblings have done?

I don’t think talent will be an issue in this class, so I’m not concerned about what number is next to his name.

I don’t disagree. It’s not fair to compare. I just don’t know I trust that interest is legit from that side. But Woody gets paid to worry about that. I’m just giving an opinion and speculating on something I know very little about. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

man, where would I be if I was held accountable for the stuff my siblings have done?

My exact thoughts.  And I'm glad my siblings weren't held accountable for what I did and said. Junior's actions weren't my style, but he backed it up on the court in crunch time. And he knows how to hit shots in Assembly. Might be able to transfer some of that Assembly swagger to little bro!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think talent will be an issue in this class, so I’m not concerned about what number is next to his name.

I don’t disagree. It’s not fair to compare. I just don’t know I trust that interest is legit from that side. But Woody gets paid to worry about that. I’m just giving an opinion and speculating on something I know very little about. 

So you think he may actually be faking interest in Indiana to troll us for his brother?

• Haha 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

He was better than us and we were jealous and he let us know that he was better than us so we got butt hurt

There’s talk in one of the other threads right now about how we want guys with that edge that can back it up, a la Aaron Craft. 

• Like 3