Dylan Harper Commits to Rutgers

tdhoosier

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, I don't even really get what the brother even did? 

Nothing some of the favorite IU players have done to other teams and we put them on peddle stool. I seem to remember lots of love for Sheehey.

Guy just beat us over and over and liked to rub our nose in it. To outside looking in we probably look like some really pretentious, entitled fanbase because we are Indiana and we have won so much in the past.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t disagree with him that respect is a two way street and I think we all know how our fans can be at times. 

Look…who back in HS didn’t like going into a visiting gym with a ruckus crowd and shutting them up and letting them know about it?? That’s what competitors live for. That was one of my favorite memories growing up! Can’t fault a guy for feeling the same way because he wore a different color red uniform.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nothing some of the favorite IU players have done to other teams and we put them on peddle stool. I seem to remember lots of love for Sheehey.

Guy just beat us over and over and liked to rub our nose in it. To outside looking in we probably look like some really pretentious, entitled fanbase because we are Indiana and we have won so much in the past.

Completely agree. Especially when we acted like Rutgers should have no business beating us and was beneath us. Then they kicked our butt for 4 years. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Harpers recent comments about IU have been very interesting

When I saw IU saw recruiting him, my initial thought was "not a chance in hell..."  Sounds like there is a chance now.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unlike most of the rest of this board, I am lukewarm at best in considering this guy, or thinking he will strongly consider IU. I cannot get past the antics his brother displayed when beating us at SSAH, and can't help but believe that Ron Jr. will be in his brother's ear.

Sure I am probably wrong on this, but there are a lot of great options in this recruiting class, and don't want to bring in any negative vibes at all.

Ron Jr. had no respect for Archie and enjoyed punking IU.  I think he has a much different level of respect for Mike Woodson and if he doesn't...he will.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Coach K is gone, the Duke name still has cachet but Scheyer still has a whole lot to prove IMO.  I don't think he is going to continue to get the benefit of the doubt without the same big results.  

I'd give Scheyer a "C" for last year's effort.  Nothing special considering the talent he amassed under the K Banner.  Filipowski didn't develop inter a lottery pick like many expected.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So you think he may actually be faking interest in Indiana to troll us for his brother?

I have no idea. But how often do you see top notch recruits early in the process say “thanks for the offer but I’m not interested”. Never? Any power 5 offer looks good on his resume. Again, I know nothing about him, just questioning how authentic his interest could be when his brother is bad mouthing IU to him.

Plus, in reference to older brother. There’s a difference in being a dog on the court and running your mouth non-stop or trying to show somebody up.  I get it happens, but I don’t have to like it.  TJD was a dog on the court, but I never saw him run his mouth to other players, coaches or fans. Again, doesn’t make older brother a bad guy, don’t know him. I just prefer guys that play the game like TJD did. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I have no idea. But how often do you see top notch recruits early in the process say “thanks for the offer but I’m not interested”. Never? Any power 5 offer looks good on his resume. Again, I know nothing about him, just questioning how authentic his interest could be when his brother is bad mouthing IU to him.

Plus, in reference to older brother. There’s a difference in being a dog on the court and running your mouth non-stop or trying to show somebody up.  I get it happens, but I don’t have to like it.  TJD was a dog on the court, but I never saw him run his mouth to other players, coaches or fans. Again, doesn’t make older brother a bad guy, don’t know him. I just prefer guys that play the game like TJD did. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMO-- that does not describe Harper Jr. (The bold)..again, imo, I never noticed him running his mouth regularly. 

apparently our crowd had poked the bear too many times, though. Unless there is some evidence of him acting a fool in other games, and I don't remember it, which could have happened. 

Simply put-- I think "you" (others as well) are making RHJ out to be the villain when he isn't really the villain, our fans just pissed him off and that's his response. 

Kind of like Reggie Miller and what he used to do at MSG. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Wait wait wait... am I remembering correctly, STJ came and played here in 2021.... 

Didn't one of their players get treated pretty poorly by our fanbase because that player was dating TJDs ex? 

I'd almost bet thats one of the instances RHJ is referring to in that tweet. 

Just information. I prefer SSAH to be a nasty place to play... but imo, it's hard to get mad at opposing teams when they clap back. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

"All is fair game?"  Okay, Ron Harper, Jr, how about this?

You gave up your senior year to declare for the NBA draft, then went undrafted.  Because of your dad, you got a part-time contract and averaged 2 points per game during scrub time when no one cares or plays defense.  You're a 6'5" 245 lb forward with no real spot on the floor.  You made half the money that Indiana's Trayce Jackson-Davis did last season.

The spotlight now belongs to your brother, who seems to be an excellent basketball player with a good head on his shoulders. 

People are interested in him, not you.

Those tweets were also from over a year ago and he deleted them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unlike most of the rest of this board, I am lukewarm at best in considering this guy, or thinking he will strongly consider IU. I cannot get past the antics his brother displayed when beating us at SSAH, and can't help but believe that Ron Jr. will be in his brother's ear.

Sure I am probably wrong on this, but there are a lot of great options in this recruiting class, and don't want to bring in any negative vibes at all.

Was what JR did horse stuff? Yep. 
is it the exact same thing that many, very competitive people on this board could do themselves? Yep! 
big stage, big competition, big emotions. With as tight as competition is at this level, you take the punches when they’re available. Next time out, you may get to receive the punch. 
the bloody nose is lil brother playing in candy stripes. That’s how it works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Why did he put us in his final 5 if he has no interest in IU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

This thread is so confusing 🤷‍♂️

We don’t know how to handle success anymore. Now even when we are winning the recruiting battles and making progress towards others we don’t know what to b!tch about…so we find something. Fickled bunch we are. We need to get used to having success. It’s going to happen a lot more than in the past. Hope some people learn to be happy…seems the only IU fans left are the cry babies….always looking to find something to complain about.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We don’t know how to handle success anymore. Now even when we are winning the recruiting battles and making progress towards others we don’t know what to b!tch about…so we find something. Fickled bunch we are. We need to get used to having success. It’s going to happen a lot more than in the past. Hope some people learn to be happy…seems the only IU fans left are the cry babies….always looking to find something to complain about.

Fans hold grudges, players for the most part don't. For them, It's about the competition in the moment. When it's over, they move on. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone playing the game now knows CMW's pedigree. That means more to them than the antics of a player, brother or not, than anything else. I can't emphasize this enough. How we as fans view the game, and how the players view the game, are completely different. Dylan Harper is looking at CMW based on how coach can get him where he wants to go. He really doesn't care about where he coaches. That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why did he put us in his final 5 if he has no interest in IU.

I don’t know Scott. And I didn’t say he had “no” interest. End of the day I don’t really care and didn’t know he was down to a final five already. I was simply questioning sincerity when he has an older brother bad mouthing us consistently. I trust Woody to recruit the right guys. If he feels like Harper is one of those guys, then great. 

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you classify a couple of us questioning his Harper’s sincerity as bitching? Or are you referring to something else? Bc I’m not bitching about anything. Simply giving an opinion on a topic and debating like anything else. Some people need to learn to handle a difference of opinion a little better. I don’t really care whether we end up with this kid or not. I know Woody will have a solid class regardless. That is me understanding we’re having success and I’m not worried about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️