Dylan Harper Commits to Rutgers

tdhoosier

• 4 weeks later...

Rivals says Harper might decide within 2 weeks or so.Β  Mid-August, or a bit later.

Their pick is still Rutgers (over Indiana and Duke), IF Rutgers has enough NIL money.Β  Rivals says that's important.

I'd love it if Indiana just tripled whatever was being discussed, and signed him.Β  That news would race through the recruiting world and open a lot of doors.Β  It is our chance to set the market rate, and make everyone else react to us for a while.Β 

https://assets3.cbsnewsstatic.com/hub/i/r/2023/06/22/c15c68d6-ad83-49ef-9d32-213327d09e3c/thumbnail/640x360/50f7eb9400362412ec106213171bbf6c/should-you-buy-gold-bars-and-coins.jpg?v=523df724471d66f84598615fede8d33f

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:08 PM, Madison22 said:

Rivals says Harper might decide within 2 weeks or so.Β  Mid-August, or a bit later.

Their pick is still Rutgers (over Indiana and Duke), IF Rutgers has enough NIL money.Β  Rivals says that's important.

I'd love it if Indiana just tripled whatever was being discussed, and signed him.Β  That news would race through the recruiting world and open a lot of doors.Β  It is our chance to set the market rate, and make everyone else react to us for a while.Β 

https://assets3.cbsnewsstatic.com/hub/i/r/2023/06/22/c15c68d6-ad83-49ef-9d32-213327d09e3c/thumbnail/640x360/50f7eb9400362412ec106213171bbf6c/should-you-buy-gold-bars-and-coins.jpg?v=523df724471d66f84598615fede8d33f

I would love to hear all of my SEC buddies whine about IU NIL!!!!!!!

Agree but would that have or causer any issues with currently or early signers who might not have gotten the sweet deal?Β  Would it eventually push all kids to sign as late as possible to get the sweet end of recruiting cycle deals?

I have no idea, just some thought sin my brain

Here’s the thing. Rutgers can promise him a certain amount of NIL money but as you’re seeing in multiple situations they over promise and under deliver then hope they can convince the kid to stay. If I’m Harper and I truly want Rutgers (which he will because his dad went through guilt trip with him) then I want a written binding contract that he is guaranteed that money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Are we still in for Harper? Β 

He says we are...

And he did say this when Mac Mgbako committed...

β€œHe already committed? It was Indiana. Right?” HarperΒ told Rivals national analyst Rob Cassidy.Β β€œI knew it. I mean, he didn’t tell me or anything. I just assumed it was Indiana because Mike WoodsonΒ is going to put him in the best position to succeed and to get to the next level.”

The problem with that mindset is it can rip a team apart. If I signed last year and got say $85,000 and you have a guy maybe even at my position that you want that’s semi similar to me and throw $200,000 his way, now I’m feeling screwed. Then you gotta give me more or navigate that on the team. And remember these are 18-19 year olds. Not fully mature adults. NIL doesn’t just mean throw money with no repercussions. It’s more complex than that.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

The problem with that mindset is it can rip a team apart. If I signed last year and got say $85,000 and you have a guy maybe even at my position that you want that’s semi similar to me and throw $200,000 his way, now I’m feeling screwed. Then you gotta give me more or navigate that on the team. And remember these are 18-19 year olds. Not fully mature adults. NIL doesn’t just mean throw money with no repercussions. It’s more complex than that.

Lets not forget, our 13th man paid for his sisters college. There is plenty of money flowing at IU.

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Which is why I'm glad we have a guy at the helm who has managed $ stuff, egos, hurt feelings for 3 decades in the NBA. Nobody in college basketball has that box checked like Woodson does.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Are we still in for Harper? Β 

He says we are...

And he did say this when Mac Mgbako committed...

β€œHe already committed? It was Indiana. Right?” HarperΒ told Rivals national analyst Rob Cassidy.Β β€œI knew it. I mean, he didn’t tell me or anything. I just assumed it was Indiana because Mike WoodsonΒ is going to put him in the best position to succeed and to get to the next level.”

The kid wants mystery and suspension around his decision. That's fine. But other more tangible signs point to IU being less involved and a very unlikely landing spot. There's no public talk of him making a senior visit. There's no talk of IU visiting his school or his home. On the less tangible side, but still notable, national analysts with good reputations are saying IU isn't involved.Β 

Maybe every sign and insider is wrong. Certainly things can change. But just the kid saying he is still considering five when there’s other insights to the contrary doesn't make me a believer. Kids are known to say things publicly that aren't true to help their buzz, to keep certain other schools working hard for them, etc. A kid like Harper from a basketball family knows this game within the game.Β 

7 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

The kid wants mystery and suspension around his decision. That's fine. But other more tangible signs point to IU being less involved and a very unlikely landing spot. There's no public talk of him making a senior visit. There's no talk of IU visiting his school or his home. On the less tangible side, but still notable, national analysts with good reputations are saying IU isn't involved.Β 

Maybe every sign and insider is wrong. Certainly things can change. But just the kid saying he is still considering five when there’s other insights to the contrary doesn't make me a believer. Kids are known to say things publicly that aren't true to help their buzz, to keep certain other schools working hard for them, etc. A kid like Harper from a basketball family knows this game within the game.Β 

If I was a betting man, I'd probably say Rutgers at this point...

But Harper has to be looking at Pikiell's lack of success in developing players for an NBA career...and his comments on our coach tells me he has a lot of respect for Woody's ability to take players there...

I don't know... to a kid like Harper who's grown up with money, what would be the top priority?

I guess we'll see πŸ™‚

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If I was a betting man, I'd probably say Rutgers at this point...

But Harper has to be looking at Pikiell's lack of success in developing players for an NBA career...and his comments on our coach tells me he has a lot of respect for Woody's ability to take players there...

I don't know... to a kid like Harper who's grown up with money, what would be the top priority?

I guess we'll see πŸ™‚

I don’t know… to a kid who’s grown up with money, what would be the top priority?

That’s why IU’s NIL advantage may not mean much in this recruitment. He doesn’t have to consider who has the highest handout. Other factors might hold more weight.

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t know… to a kid who’s grown up with money, what would be the top priority?

That’s why IU’s NIL advantage may not mean much in this recruitment. He doesn’t have to consider who has the highest handout. Other factors might hold more weight.

I was looking at it more like I believe IU has the strongest NIL presence if NIL rankings are to be believed. So say a Rutgers, even if they match the money, does Pikiell's resume stack up to Woody's on NBA matters?Β 

But, if I knew what went through 18 year old heads, I'd write a book πŸ™‚

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was looking at it more like I believe IU has the strongest NIL presence if NIL rankings are to be believed. So say a Rutgers, even if they match the money, does Pikiell's resume stack up to Woody's on NBA matters?Β 

But, if I knew what went through 18 year old heads, I'd write a book πŸ™‚

Maybe write a book for 18yo β€˜what you still have to learn’!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Any update on Dylan?

I read something 2 days ago where he said all 5 schools are still in it and he was going to go where he wants to go, no one else will decide that. said everyone thinks he is a lock for Rutgers but thats not the case, every school is still being considered. He said his brother isn't pushing him any direction, wants him to do what he wants.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I read something 2 days ago where he said all 5 schools are still in it and he was going to go where he wants to go, no one else will decide that. said everyone thinks he is a lock for Rutgers but thats not the case, every school is still being considered. He said his brother isn't pushing him any direction, wants him to do what he wants.

Interesting. And while I don’t believe that bodes well for us it surely must be constricting sphincters in Piscataway! LOL