High School Hoops

rico

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That isn't relevant though. My kids aren't missing out on anything or any opportunity because they're playing in the classed tourney. Hell we got beat by Deshaun Thomas in the state finals... we missed out on nothing. 

You missed out on proving you were the best team in the state...

And as unlikely as y'all try to portray that, it's a possibilty...As I said, who thought the US Hockey Team would beat the Russians in 1980? Yet it's one of the most enduring sports moments of my life...And will live on forever...

With class basketball, you've removed even the possibility...

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Do I like the class system?  Absolutely not.  But I concede it that it is here to stay and why it has come about.  But I will say this much.  The single class system was waaaaaay more entertaining to me than this class system is today.

Well said...

Just now, IUFLA said:

And as unlikely as y'all try to portray that, it's a possibilty...As I said, who thought the US Hockey Team would beat the Russians in 1980? Yet it's one of the most enduring sports moments of my life...And will live on forever...

Well said...

Because we got beat in a state championship, yes. I agree. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Context? I don't know what class your team played in, but according to some, if it wasn't 4A then you don't have an argument for being best in the state

Haha... that is my point... we were competing to be the best in the state, regardless of how some feel. The 4A champ was IRRELEVANT to us. 100% did not matter to us at all. 2A state champ was the goal, it was just as consuming for us and our town as it was for Bobby Plump and Milan in 1954. 

Why is winning a 100 team tournament not enough, for some? Seems to be a pretty impressive accomplishment. Impressive enough, I would say. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I didn't see it posted, and a little off track but Linton got bad news... Coach Joey Hart was arrested for Public Intoxication. His son will be going to UCF next fall and the Miners are a very talented team, maybe a favorite in 2A, but this will not help the cause.

Public intox or OWI? I heard OWI. Could be wrong... and Linton is undoubtedly one of the best 3-4 teams in the state in 2A. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

According to what I have read, it was a PI.  Found him passed out in a parked car.

I see that now. I assume, he got lucky it wasn't an OWI. 

Of course... I don't know how that could be PI, either, unless they're simply doing him a solid by charging him only with a PI. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Do I like the class system?  Absolutely not.  But I concede it that it is here to stay and why it has come about.  But I will say this much.  The single class system was waaaaaay more entertaining to me than this class system is today.

I know it is never going back but like you I enjoyed the one class system. Also I think the tournament not being shown on local Indy TV on channel 4 hurts as well.  For 3 straight weeks I remember waking up in Saturdays to watch the Indy regional and Semi State and then the finals. On each you had two games in the morning and the championship that night. Now it is a shore to find who is carrying the games.

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I see that now. I assume, he got lucky it wasn't an OWI. 

Of course... I don't know how that could be PI, either, unless they're simply doing him a solid by charging him only with a PI. 

Just reading the media releases, it appears to me they did him a favor.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I know it is never going back but like you I enjoyed the run class system. Also I think the tournament not being shown on local Indy TV on channel 4 hurts as well.  For 3 straight weeks I remember waking up in Saturdays to watch the Indy regional and Semi State and then the finals. On each you had two games in the morning and the championship that night. Now it is a shore to find who is carrying the games.

Yeah, the TV stuff was better in the one class days.  

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well said...

Also we would missed out on #16 UMBC beating 1 seed Virginia.  I also believe that small schools could still compete with the big schools.  Maybe not winning the state but just winning a sectional use to be thought of as a huge accomplishment. It is all about getting more kids trophies and making themselves feel good about themselves.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also we would missed out on #16 UMBC beating 1 seed Virginia.  I also believe that small schools could still compete with the big schools.  Maybe not winning the state but just winning a sectional use to be thought of as a huge accomplishment. It is all about getting more kids trophies and making themselves feel good about themselves.

There aren't upsets in classed basketball?

It's 4 state champs compared to 1.... 

It's 1% of the state winning a title compared to .25% of the state winning a title.  

The bold isn't true. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There aren't upset in classed basketball?

It's 4 state champs compared to 1.... 

It's 1% of the state winning a title compared to .25% of the state winning a title.  

The bold isn't true. 

I disagree about the bold. Just like in little league where today every team gets a trophy. In my day just the champion and runner-up got one 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I disagree about the bold. Just like in little league where today every team gets a trophy. In my day just the champion and runner-up got one 

"in your day"... well who parented this generation? Who made these decisions in 1998 to go to class basketball, Scott? it sure as shit wasn't me or my generation. I was in 1st grade, probably picking my nose in 1998... 

I am 32. We got trophies for participation. I didn't raise myself... so the same generation that just LOVES one class basketball is the same generation that handed participation trophies to my generation to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"in your day"... well who parented this generation? Who made these decisions in 1998 to go to class basketball, Scott? it sure as shit wasn't me or my generation. I was in 1st grade, probably picking my nose in 1998... 

I am 32. We got trophies for participation. I didn't raise myself... so the same generation that just LOVES one class basketball is the same generation that handed participation trophies to my generation to begin with. 

If it was up to me there wouldn't have been participation trophies because you need to get taught to your your rewards.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If it was up to me there wouldn't have been participation trophies because you need to get taught to your your rewards.

I mean I agree.... but winning a tournament in which you have to win 7 games to achieve that trophy is quite a stretch to compare to a participation trophy. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

I didn't see it posted, and a little off track but Linton got bad news... Coach Joey Hart was arrested for Public Intoxication. His son will be going to UCF next fall and the Miners are a very talented team, maybe a favorite in 2A, but this will not help the cause.

Shooter get that suit you were married in….run the picket fence 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean I agree.... but winning a tournament in which you have to win 7 games to achieve that trophy is quite a stretch to compare to a participation trophy. 

One thing I definitely don't blame your generation for this because it my sorry generation that became soft.   To me it seems like some just want to please everyone but in turn it is hurting the sports we grew up loving. It appears they will be doing this if they expand the NCAA tournament to 90 teams. I just don't see how a 7-13 power conference teams who finishes 11th in their conference deserves a bid.