High School Hoops

rico

On 6/23/2023 at 6:39 PM, rico said:

Teagle is already pissing off the helicopter parents and I'm here for it. He's had the kids in the gym at 6 a.m. treating it like an actual practice: working on screens, cuts, ball reversals, basic fundamental stuff. He's made it clear he's not interested in whiny parents or armchair coaches, it's his program and if the parents don't like it, they are welcome to remove their child from the team. 

We won't be good this year but it's so nice to see this kind of hard-nosed leadership again. 

• Like 2

I spoke with Coach Benter yesterday... 

Brownstown will play Jeffersonville, New Albany, Carmel, Brownsburg (hall of fame), either Kokomo or Attucks (hall of fame).... Top 5 3A Scottsburg, Top 5 1A Orleans... 

Coach also thought there was a solid chance they'd get matched up with Ben Davis early in December at a one day shootout. 

I'm not sure if they'll be at North Daviess this year..  they'd run into Top 3 2A Blackhawk Christian in that tourney if so. 

Needless to say, this alumnus is pretty excited. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I spoke with Coach Benter yesterday... 

Brownstown will play Jeffersonville, New Albany, Carmel, Brownsburg (hall of fame), either Kokomo or Attucks (hall of fame).... Top 5 3A Scottsburg, Top 5 1A Orleans... 

Coach also thought there was a solid chance they'd get matched up with Ben Davis early in December at a one day shootout. 

I'm not sure if they'll be at North Daviess this year..  they'd run into Top 3 2A Blackhawk Christian in that tourney if so. 

Needless to say, this alumnus is pretty excited. 

That's a great schedule.  I loved it when SC was getting invited to things like the Hall of Fame and the one day shootouts. Just great basketball at those events.

Depending on the dates, I may try to catch the Jeff or New Albany game if they are playing down this way.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • rico changed the title to High School Hoops

1A girls hoops down in my neck of the woods is loaded.  

Defending State Champ Lanesville is ranked #1, and Borden has climbed to #2  on the strength of a series of convincing wins over higher class teams, including last year's 3A runner-up Corydon Central.

Lanesville and Borden are in the same sectional. 

Lanesville is 20th OVERALL in all classes in the Sagarin ratings, a huge feat for a 1A school.

Borden starts 4 sophomores.  

• Like 1

First big night of the high school boy's season.  I'm headed out later to catch Floyd Central at Silver Creek.  High school debut of the SC freshman class, which I believe lost either 1 game or no games during their 5th-8th grade careers.  Lost a big piece of that team though, as one of the key players moved out West (Colorado or something like that).  Similar middle school success as the TKR and K. Jacobi teams from a few years ago, but without the height of that team.  

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Wasn’t there, but Silver Creek beat Floyd Central 80-61. SC is young, and should be really good for the next 2-3 years. 

Silver Creek's Sophomore and Freshmen classes are both very good.  The game was actually a lot closer than the final score indicates.  The lead stayed at about 3-7 points until the last 4 minutes or so of the game.

For those that may not know, Indiana high school basketball changed the foul rules.  Instead of 7 fouls per half to get into the bonus, it's 5 fouls per quarter.  And, there is no longer a 1 & 1.  Everything is two shot.

I like the 5 fouls per quarter.  I felt like it reduced the number of trips to the line and the game flowed better.  The 2 shot thing really did not come into play in the game I was at because of the final score.  But. in a close game, i think I will miss the 1&1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

@btownqb / @Artesian_86 what are the expectations for Jennings Co. this year?

I think they may be down a little. They have a few injuries early and one of their best returning players out for the year with a knee injury . I just hope they can pull it together with what they have, as well as a new head coach 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think they may be down a little. They have a few injuries early and one of their best returning players out for the year with a knee injury . I just hope they can pull it together with what they have, as well as a new head coach 

Silver Creek and Jennings County are back on each other's schedules.  Hadn't played each other the last 4 seasons.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Silver Creek's Sophomore and Freshmen classes are both very good.  The game was actually a lot closer than the final score indicates.  The lead stayed at about 3-7 points until the last 4 minutes or so of the game.

How did the starting backcourt do for SC ( Sprigler and Daeger)?  Both sophomores. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

How did the starting backcourt do for SC ( Sprigler and Daeger)?  Both sophomores. 

Sprigler struggled early.  Floyd did a lot of trapping and ball pressure and it gave him some problems.  However, he had a very strong 4th quarter and was one of the keys to putting the game away.  He also had the assignment guarding what appeared to be FC's primary scoring threat.   

If my count is correct, Daeger ended up with over 30 points.  Probably had 7 or 8 3-pointers, had a two-handed dunk in the 4th quarter run, and also did a pretty good job on the boards.  None of the made 3-pointers rattled in.  They all were pure.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is that a rivalry game?

I am pro rivarly games on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. 

Scottsburg Austin girls/boys double header that night is flipping awesome. 

I think Brownstown Seymour could do that with great success. 

Girls JV 3

Boys JV 430

Girls Varsity 615

Boys Varsity 8

🤷‍♂️... personally I'd be fine with Seymour always hosting and revune essentially split every year, but yeah. I'd like to try it. Hell I'd play 8th grade games at 

Noon on those days BC vs Seymour MS boys and girls. Play them at BC and again split revenue. 

The two HSs are separated by 10 miles of highway 50, they get an easy 4k to the football game yearly, take more advantage of that money, entertainment opportunity for basketball. I think kids would love it, truthfully. (That alone would make it worth it)

Rant over. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

I am pro rivarly games on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. 

Scottsburg Austin girls/boys double header that night is flipping awesome. 

I think Brownstown Seymour could do that with great success. 

Girls JV 3

Boys JV 430

Girls Varsity 615

Boys Varsity 8

🤷‍♂️... personally I'd be fine with Seymour always hosting and revune essentially split every year, but yeah. I'd like to try it. Hell I'd play 8th grade games at 

Noon on those days BC vs Seymour MS boys and girls. Play them at BC and again split revenue. 

The two HSs are separated by 10 miles of highway 50, they get an easy 4k to the football game yearly, take more advantage of that money, entertainment opportunity for basketball. I think kids would love it, truthfully. (That alone would make it worth it)

Rant over. 

What's your future aspirations?  Head coach or athletic director?

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Scottsburg girls played a girl 6 quarters against Brownstown. What was a 5pt win for Scottsburg in OT, turns into a forfeit loss. 

Not sure how you make that mistake as a coach. 

2 quarters JV and 4 Varsity?

I remember when playing football we had low numbers and had to drop jv because of quarters.

My senior year there were only 23 of us, at a 3A school. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1