High School Hoops

rico

• 3 weeks later...

A nice 1A school to take a look at is my alma-mater, Clay City.  The Eels are off to a 5-1 start, the lone loss being to Linton. (The played very poorly that game, and Linton is a pretty good squad led by the Oliver kid, and a nice group of Soph)  Clay City has wins over previously ranked 1A number 1 Bloomfield, and they took down Barr-Reeve.

Clay City is ranked #4 in 1A, led by a nice group of Juniors. Ethan Edwards has been on a tear to start the year. Very active on the glass and blocks a lot of shots for them.

Edited by gnet550
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

A nice 1A school to take a look at is my alma-mater, Clay City.  The Eels are off to a 5-1 start, the lone loss being to Linton. (The played very poorly that game, and Linton is a pretty good squad led by the Oliver kid, and a nice group of Soph)  Clay City has wins over previously ranked 1A number 1 Bloomfield, and they took down Barr-Reeve.

Clay City is ranked #4 in 1A, led by a nice group of Juniors. Ethan Edwards has been on a tear to start the year. Very active on the glass and blocks a lot of shots for them.

IMG_1113.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

IMG_1113.jpeg

IF they get quality minutes from their guards, they are pretty tough to beat.  In the Linton game their guards got on their heels, and Linton was physical with them....In the Barr-Reeve game, they played tough and came away with a victory...I'd love to see them make a run come Sectional time!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

…..Shew! Just got back from watching Jennings County upset #4 Brownstown Central. Jack Benter was held to 21 pts. tonight, ( I know, he was supposed to be a little gimpy and possibly not play) but he looked pretty good. Carter Kent lead all scores with 30.
We came back from 19 down in the 3rd quarter and won by 8. What a great game and atmosphere! 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 2:51 PM, mrflynn03 said:

2 quarters JV and 4 Varsity?

I remember when playing football we had low numbers and had to drop jv because of quarters.

My senior year there were only 23 of us, at a 3A school. 

Heck I remember my senior year we had like 23 playing varsity…lots of freshman starting and seniors all going both ways…still had a winning record at 5-4 😀

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Heck I remember my senior year we had like 23 playing varsity…lots of freshman starting and seniors all going both ways…still had a winning record at 5-4 😀

If I remember correctly you're from Dugger?  

Played you guys in football and basketball. I was a freshman when we played against Brody Boyd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

…..Shew! Just got back from watching Jennings County upset #4 Brownstown Central. Jack Benter was held to 21 pts. tonight, ( I know, he was supposed to be a little gimpy and possibly not play) but he looked pretty good. Carter Kent lead all scores with 30.
We came back from 19 down in the 3rd quarter and won by 8. What a great game and atmosphere! 

That was a fun game. Brownstown's 3 point shooting the first three quarters was something to see. Luckily they cooled off in the 4th. Kent was great but I was really impressed by Dorian Hacker. Think he is finally getting over the foot injury and looks to be turning into a really good player.

• Like 1

@btownqb - My son and I had a great time in the stands tonight at the Silver Creek-Brownstown game pretending to be the Brownstown radio announcers.  We saw SC get away with 138 fouls, 71 travels, 46 three-second violations, 19 double dribbles, and 8 FT lane violations. And, by gosh, Jack's going to be sore tomorrow with all the abuse he took tonight.  :coffee: 

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@btownqb - My son and I had a great time in the stands tonight at the Silver Creek-Brownstown game pretending to be the Brownstown radio announcers.  We saw SC get away with 138 fouls, 71 travels, 46 three-second violations, 19 double dribbles, and 8 FT lane violations. And, by gosh, Jack's going to be sore tomorrow with all the abuse he took tonight.  :coffee: 

Did you have the displeasure of sitting by ours? 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Did you have the displeasure of sitting by ours? 

No.  We've just heard them on the radio multiple times before and find their homerism hysterical.  Game wasn't that interesting, so we decided to be them and moan about every call even with the Braves up 20.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Didnt realize until tonight Brownstowns JV is undefeated..  the JV team starts 3 varsity football players, MLB, center, and corner/slot... just sophomores, but very advanced. They play 6 or so football guys. 

SC gave the JV game away with sloppy ball-handling.  That said, the Btown JV was very well coached to get in the passing lane while on defense.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

SC gave the JV game away with sloppy ball-handling.  That said, the Btown JV was very well coached to get in the passing lane while on defense.

Oh they aren't the most skilled group. I think their best player, Pendleton, isn't playing JV right now because Micah Sheffer (ironically our QB) has a broken vertebrae and is out right now on the V. 

I'm sure they'll have a real test tonight playing at Carmel.  

Coaching wise-- Michael Leitzman,  who graduated a year behind, he started at corner on the football team, is their HC. He's won a sectional at Springs Valley but gave that up to come home. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

No.  We've just heard them on the radio multiple times before and find their homerism hysterical.  Game wasn't that interesting, so we decided to be them and moan about every call even with the Braves up 20.

They are horrendous. "Did you see you?" .... no stupid, that's why I'm listening to you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh they aren't the most skilled group. I think their best player, Pendleton, isn't playing JV right now because Micah Sheffer (ironically our QB) has a broken vertebrae and is out right now on the V. 

I'm sure they'll have a real test tonight playing at Carmel.  

Coaching wise-- Michael Leitzman,  who graduated a year behind, he started at corner on the football team, is their HC. He's won a sectional at Springs Valley but gave that up to come home. 

They are horrendous. "Did you see you?" .... no stupid, that's why I'm listening to you. 

Good friend of mine in GA used to be the PA announcer for the local HS football team. Told me just for fun he would start calling out numbers on the play for players sitting on the bench!😂

5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Good friend of mine in GA used to be the PA announcer for the local HS football team. Told me just for fun he would start calling out numbers on the play for players sitting on the bench!😂

Remember playing at Hobart, PA announcer after we converted a 3rd& 1

” they say it’s a first down I guess”

Hobart & Sheridan used to dominate 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:38 PM, mrflynn03 said:

If I remember correctly you're from Dugger?  

Played you guys in football and basketball. I was a freshman when we played against Brody Boyd.

Bit older than him. I was on the team that we won the Sectionals and lost to Bloomington North in regional finals. Last year of class basketball. Yeah we were smallest public school to have a football team.

Edited by dgambill