IUBB 22/‘23

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Really?  I hope we squeak into the tournament.   At least by then we could be healthy again and could put it all together for one last try but I'm not sure it's going to happen.  

Nit it may be

I figure a top half finish can get us in the tournament

38 minutes ago, rico said:

I say we have issues on both ends.  

Our issues defensively have gotten much worse from last year.  KenPom says that in defensive efficiency we were #24 last year but this year we are #47.  Our issues on offense are less this year as KenPom says that in offensive efficiency we were #95 last year but #21 this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Our issues defensively have gotten much worse from last year.  KenPom says that in defensive efficiency we were #24 last year but this year we are #47.  Our issues on offense are less this year as KenPom says that in offensive efficiency we were #95 last year but #21 this year.

That stat is 80% tied to losing X.  Before his injury, we were Top 20 defensively.  Without him we cant guard the perimeter.  

On the flip side, our offensive efficiency has improved with him out.

The reality is, though, it takes both.

Edited by 5fouls

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That stat is 80% tied to losing X.  Before his injury, we were Top 20 defensively.  Without him we cant guard the perimeter.  

On the flip side, our offensive efficiency has improved with him out.

The reality is, though, it takes both.

Does that offensive efficiency take turnovers into account?  And how about points scored off of our turnovers?  Where does that fit in?  Because those were a huge difference in the game today.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Does that offensive efficiency take turnovers into account?  And how about points scored off of our turnovers?  Where does that fit in?  Because those were a huge difference in the game today.

I'm honestly not sure how it works.  But, you're right I think we had 16 turnovers and 14 of them were steals by NW.

That many live ball turnovers is going to lead to a lot of easy baskets.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm honestly not sure how it works.  But, you're right I think we had 16 turnovers and 14 of them were steals by NW.

My guess is that the turnovers aren't figured into the offensive efficiency?  But we are turning over the ball on offense that leads to fast break/transition points for the opponents.  If we can fix that issue then it will lead to more points for us and less for the opponent...I call this possession efficiency.

• Like 1

Not the end of the world yet. We lost X but we had/ have JHS to slide into that role. Lost Race, and not sure we have anyone on this roster to replace all the intangibles he brings to the team. Might take a bit longer than a late night flight back from Iowa City and today’s game for this team, and CMW to figure out how to replace RT. Don’t get me wrong, guys are gonna have to step up. CMW is gonna have to find a way to play to his remaining player’s strengths. Not gonna be easy, but there is talent enough to stay afloat until injuries heal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not the end of the world yet. We lost X but we had/ have JHS to slide into that role. Lost Race, and not sure we have anyone on this roster to replace all the intangibles he brings to the team. Might take a bit longer than a late night flight back from Iowa City and today’s game for this team, and CMW to figure out how to replace RT. Don’t get me wrong, guys are gonna have to step up. CMW is gonna have to find a way to play to his remaining player’s strengths. Not gonna be easy, but there is talent enough to stay afloat until injuries heal.

JHS may have slid into the PG role, but it's not like he's coming off the bench and picking up minutes he wasn't playing.  He was already playing more minutes than X.  It's greatly weakened our defense (essentially Bates for X) and our ball handling (turnovers have been a problem for JHS since taking over for X).  

• Like 1