IUBB 22/‘23

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

North Carolina?

I may have my timelines off, but I thought TJD had tweaked his back the game before them.  He played, but he wasn't 100% IIRC.  They gave him a shot before the game I thought.

Edit to add:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/preseason-all-americans-jackson-davis-and-bacot-both-expected-to-play-wednesday/

I was wrong on the game he injured it, it was 2 games before.  He sat out the game before UNC and did play, but neither he nor Bacot were 100% for that game.

Edited by IUCrazy2

I was looking back at IU's 6 games against top 100 opponents thus far, and wanted to see how we compared statistically vs last year. Last year, it felt like a lot of games simply came down to IU's ability to make shots, where this year we have seemed to shoot the ball better, but have struggled in other areas. Looking at the 4 factors - Effective field goal %, Turnover %, rebounding %, and free throw rate, here's how we compare so far this year vs last against top 100 opponents:

2021:

Off EFG% vs Def EFG%: 47.8% | 49.7%

Off TO% vs Def TO%: 16.2% | 17.2%

Off Reb% vs Def Reb%: 26.4% | 26.1%

Off FTR vs Def FTR: 32.1% | 34.4%

2022:

Off EFG% vs Def EFG%: 50.0% | 48.8%

Off TO% vs Def TO%: 19.1% | 17.0%

Off Reb% vs Def Reb%: 28.0% | 32.1%

Off FTR vs Def FTR: 26.5% | 30.8%

It's only 6 games, so don't want to draw any conclusions, but so far IU has improved on the weakness from last year (EFG%), but have regressed in the other areas. Also when you look at our three losses, we got dominated on the boards in two of them (Rutgers and Arizona) and dominated in the turnover battle in the other (Kansas). Will be interesting to see if this changes going forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I was looking back at IU's 6 games against top 100 opponents thus far, and wanted to see how we compared statistically vs last year. Last year, it felt like a lot of games simply came down to IU's ability to make shots, where this year we have seemed to shoot the ball better, but have struggled in other areas. Looking at the 4 factors - Effective field goal %, Turnover %, rebounding %, and free throw rate, here's how we compare so far this year vs last against top 100 opponents:

2021:

2022:

It's only 6 games, so don't want to draw any conclusions, but so far IU has improved on the weakness from last year (EFG%), but have regressed in the other areas. Also when you look at our three losses, we got dominated on the boards in two of them (Rutgers and Arizona) and dominated in the turnover battle in the other (Kansas). Will be interesting to see if this changes going forward.

So, just so I know the context... you took ALL of 2021s season for this exercise? Or all games vs. Top 100 competition? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

Only looking at top 100 games for both years

I think you have incomplete information, for now. I don't think you can take all those games last season vs. the only 6 we've had this year and compare, yet. Certain games this year are skewing that too much, imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

I think you have incomplete information, for now. I don't think you can take all those games last season vs. the only 6 we've had this year and compare, yet. Certain games this year are skewing that too much, imo. 

Right, not really saying you can make any conclusions yet when comparing to a full season. Was just messing around on bart torvik's site and those numbers stood out because of how different they were, despite our team being similar. Could definitely change quite a bit as we play the meat of our schedule.

I'm just too impatient to wait this long between games haha.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kdug said:

2021:

2022:

Assuming I'm understanding those stats correctly:

Better: Off and Def eFG%, Off and Def Reb%, Def FTR.

Worse: Off and Def TO%, Off FTR.

Defensive TO% is almost the same but slightly lower in 2022. Offensive TO% is way up while Offensive FTR is way down. While they're doing lots of things better, they're turning the ball over a lot more while getting to the line a lot less. Not a good combination.

9 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Assuming I'm understanding those stats correctly:

Better: Off and Def eFG%, Off and Def Reb%, Def FTR.

Worse: Off and Def TO%, Off FTR.

Defensive TO% is almost the same but slightly lower in 2022. Offensive TO% is way up while Offensive FTR is way down. While they're doing lots of things better, they're turning the ball over a lot more while getting to the line a lot less. Not a good combination.

The Def Reb % said in a better way is the opponents offensive rebound %, so that is actually worse. So we went from a net positive in turnover margin and rebound margin last year (though they were both relatively small positives) to negative in both. Again, just 6 games, and we’ve had a couple stinkers in there that skew the numbers a bit. But I still found it interesting.

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The Def Reb % said in a better way is the opponents offensive rebound %, so that is actually worse. So we went from a net positive in turnover margin and rebound margin last year (though they were both relatively small positives) to negative in both. Again, just 6 games, and we’ve had a couple stinkers in there that skew the numbers a bit. But I still found it interesting.

I thought that was the percentage of defensive rebounds the team gets, so I guess I had it backwards. That makes sense because it then it should have been around 70%+. So giving up more offensive rebounds to the other teams along with more turnovers and shooting fewer FT. Yikes.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just amazes me how some fans just embarrass our fan base over and over again 

That guy has been an embarrassment for years. He was on the Indy Star board, Peegs, The SNailpond... He's an idiot and a real loser. Some of the guys that went to IU with him (I think he went for a few semesters and flunked out) had some hilarious stories about what kind of nutjob he is... 

• Thanks 2

Here's what the note says, for those who may have trouble reading/seeing it:

"I know they'll never give this to you, which is illegal, but I'm writing it anyway. My favorite player of all time is Calbert. Not because he scored a lot, but because he was an awesome leader

You, on the other hand, are a horrible leader. Players got in trouble all the time, which means they didn't report you, or Woody (who also sucks as a leader). 

I hated that guys cried to the refs after bad calls instead of keeping head in the game. Way too much celebrating after dunks/3's instead of getting back on D. 

The team has been soft for years, but this may be the softest team yet. Far worse, you guys don't even seem like you care anymore. So tired of the team starting completely flat and fan after fan after fan says the look on the players' faces is they'd rather be anywhere else than playing. 

I'd rather watch a bunch of walk-ons getting their butts kicked than the guys playing with zero passion. I was probably the only person who didn't want Race back because he also sucks as a leader. 

Hope you two find some pride and be actual leaders. Otherwise, we'll end up 8th in the Big 10 again. You're all gutless quitters who keep getting humiliated. Take your NIL money and reimburse those who went to Kansas garbage." 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Thanks 3