IUBB 22/‘23

Some of the press is starting to overlook us...

We're not in the ESPN Power Rankings even though Xavier is in the waiting room... Didn't we beat them at their place? 

And 2 of the teams that beat us check in at #2 (Arizona) and #5 (Kansas)...

And last night during the Ohio St-Northwestern game, Bardo and Kugler we're saying that Purdue and Wisconsin had "separated themselves" from the rest of the Big 10, and we're opining as to which team was #3... IU wasn't mentioned until pretty far along in the conversation when Bardo said we were "banged up" and losing XJ was too big a blow to overcome...

Ok, overlook us at your peril... I hope we can serve a nice dish of crow later... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We're not in the ESPN Power Rankings even though Xavier is in the waiting room... Even though we beat them at their place...

And last night during the Ohio St-Northwestern game, Bardo and Kugler we're saying that Purdue and Wisconsin had "separated themselves" from the rest of the Big 10, and we're opining as to which team was #3... IU wasn't mentioned until pretty far along in the conversation when Bardo said we were "banged up" and losing XJ was too big a blow to overcome...

Ok, overlook us at your peril... I hope we can serve a nice dish of crow later... 

Other than our two games (Rutgers and Nebraska) and a couple of 5-minute stretches watching Purdue, I've not seen much of the Big Ten, so I can't really judge whether their observations are on target or not.  That said, I'm not confident with how we are playing.  We were truly non-competitive versus Kansas and Arizona.  And, if not our most important player, X most certainly is in the top 2. 

As of right now, if we are in the running for the 3rd best team in conference, then the conference is way down.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Other than our two games (Rutgers and Nebraska) and a couple of 5-minute stretches watching Purdue, I've not seen much of the Big Ten, so I can't really judge whether their observations are on target or not.  That said, I'm not confident with how we are playing.  We were truly non-competitive versus Kansas and Arizona.  And, if not our most important player, X most certainly is in the top 2. 

As of right now, if we are in the running for the 3rd best team in conference, then the conference is way down.   

I wouldn't say we got "beat" at Rutgers, AZ, & KU. I'd say we got anililated. We didn't show up. That's a comment from Woody tonite on the radio show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We're not in the ESPN Power Rankings even though Xavier is in the waiting room... Didn't we beat them at their place? 

Andy Katz ranks our win at Xavier 3rd best of the season so far. 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-basketball/ranking-the-11-best-road-wins-so-far-and-how-they-could-matter-in-march

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bates into the starting lineup, Galloway back to the bench.

I think that is the right move for both players, and for the team. 

Yep.  I hope Tamar grabs that ring.  Galloway is, IMO, best used as an energy guy to come in fresh and give opponents hell.  If Tamar can channel his inner Calbert Cheaney, look out.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yep.  I hope Tamar grabs that ring.  Galloway is, IMO, best used as an energy guy to come in fresh and give opponents hell.  If Tamar can channel his inner Calbert Cheaney, look out.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Tamar has taken a step this season, but if he has another step or two to take with this opportunity that could really raise the ceiling for this team. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Bates into the starting lineup, Galloway back to the bench.

I think that is the right move for both players, and for the team. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I feel pretty comfortable saying Tamar has taken a step this season, but if he has another step or two to take with this opportunity that could really raise the ceiling for this team. 

Health issues aside, this will go along way toward determining how the rest of this season plays out. If Tamar can consistently provide scoring and the perimeter shooting he's shown at times (especially if he can improve on the road, where he's struggled - combined for 7 points against Xav, Rutgers & KS), it could change the scouting report for this team. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Health issues aside, this will go along way toward determining how the rest of this season plays out. If Tamar can consistently provide scoring and the perimeter shooting he's shown at times (especially if he can improve on the road, where he's struggled - combined for 7 points against Xav, Rutgers & KS), it could change the scouting report for this team. 

100%. I mean the talent level is there in the starting 5:

JHS - 5 star recruit

Bates - 5 star recruit

Kopp - Top 100 5th year senior

Race - 4 star 6th year senior

TJD - 5 star senior

We've got an obvious hole in our perimeter depth without X, but if we don't get anymore injuries we still have plenty of talent in the guys we do have. 

• Like 1

Where are you guys seeing progress? You list all the stats and for what ever reason a ranking of 15. The proof is in the pudding. We are still soft. When team is aggressive we fold. If we miss our first shot, heads drop? The five stars are not working for us. We need to those hard nose lunch pail punch you in the nose if you touch my food kind of players. You know the ones that dont really give a shit about an NIL deal. Attitude is not everything, but it's huge. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. I mean the talent level is there in the starting 5:

JHS - 5 star recruit

Bates - 5 star recruit

Kopp - Top 100 5th year senior

Race - 4 star 6th year senior

TJD - 5 star senior

We've got an obvious hole in our perimeter depth without X, but if we don't get anymore injuries we still have plenty of talent in the guys we do have. 

No doubt, but here's the frustrating part. Here's Rutgers roster:

Omoruyi 4 star, #51

Mulcahy 3 star, #156

Mag 3 star, #212

Simpson, 3 star, #245

McConnell 3 star, #335

Spencer, unranked

Those guys own IU and Purdue. 

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No doubt, but here's the frustrating part. Here's Rutgers roster:

Omoruyi 4 star, #51

Mulcahy 3 star, #156

Mag 3 star, #212

Simpson, 3 star, #245

McConnell 3 star, #335

Spencer, unranked

Those guys own IU and Purdue. 

What this shows is. We still don't have the right players or coach. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Funny how CTC and CAM were at least given three years to bring in and develop their players and team, and you won’t give CMW 1 1/2 years??

We have only played 1 game against "real" competition this year at full strength (@Xavier) and we won. TJD has lost his explosiveness with the back issue, JHS sat for a few of the big games, we lost X in the middle of one of the big games.

That is arguably our top 3 players being banged up, hobbled, or out.  That is tough, I don't care who you are or what kind of coach you are, having 1-3 of your top 3 players out at any given time is hard to make up for on the fly.

My biggest concern at the moment was that they didn't seem super confident on TJD being back.  He has had the better part of a month with no games.  I am hoping that is a bit of gamesmanship, if it isn't, this could be a more serious nagging problem that can/will hurt us in conference.

• Like 3