IUBB 22/‘23

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I should just control C and V my post on Gunn from last summer. Easily the least talked about Indy area recruit I can remember. Kid just scores. I kept saying Greg Graham when we signed him. From what I've seen much further along.....huge opportunity for the kid.

Considering Greg Graham is one of my all time favorite Hoosiers (definitely my favorite player on my favorite IU teams), I would be thrilled if Gunn turns out to be as good as he was.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Considering Greg Graham is one of my all time favorite Hoosiers (definitely my favorite player on my favorite IU teams), I would be thrilled if Gunn turns out to be as good as he was.

Some injuries derailed some of his hype but I kept seeing him put up 30+ against some pretty good Indy competition. Kept asking my buddy who was an assistant at Cathedral why this kid wasn't getting more hype. 

Anyway we have a good one and I think Banks can develop as well. Nice to know we've got two less than hyped players who will be good to potentially really good 3 year guys. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would guess our turnover numbers in that span are not good, too. Hope we can figure both issues out with X out. He was in foul trouble early one of those games and missed most of the other two with injuries; so far, looking like it’s going to be a pretty big loss for the team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would guess our turnover numbers in that span are not good, too. Hope we can figure both issues out with X out. He was in foul trouble early one of those games and missed most of the other two with injuries; so far, looking like it’s going to be a pretty big loss for the team. 

I think you nailed it. In those last 3 games referenced in the tweet, IU's opponents have stolen the ball a combined 29 times. 17 of those by Kansas alone! 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think you nailed it. In those last 3 games referenced in the tweet, IU's opponents have stolen the ball a combined 29 times. 17 of those by Kansas alone! 

Oof. That’s a lot of live ball turnovers which directly correlates with the poor transition defense. Thanks for looking that up. 

As much as I hate losing XJ, I feel good about turning the team over to JHS, and we might actually be a better team by tournament time. He’s shown he’s more than capable to take over at point guard, and Bates and Gunn will get more playing time to build confidence in their roles. I’m really excited about Gunn’s potential - he’s a good defender, can score at all 3 levels and is fearless on offense and defense. And of course, Galloway is the prototypical 6th man. Throw in Geronimo, Banks and Duncombe and that’s an impressive bench to go along with TJD, Race, and Kopp. The only missing piece is consistency and attitude, and that’s CMW’s job to get that straight. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, slojoe said:

Part of the problem is a lot of our TOs have been were open court in nature like bad, and lazy passes etc.

Was going to post my own explanation of this, but yours is good and short, I just added my 2¢ in bold. I think we had 3-4 TO's because of lazy passes, over and above the bad passes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

As much as I hate losing XJ, I feel good about turning the team over to JHS, and we might actually be a better team by tournament time. He’s shown he’s more than capable to take over at point guard, and Bates and Gunn will get more playing time to build confidence in their roles. I’m really excited about Gunn’s potential - he’s a good defender, can score at all 3 levels and is fearless on offense and defense. And of course, Galloway is the prototypical 6th man. Throw in Geronimo, Banks and Duncombe and that’s an impressive bench to go along with TJD, Race, and Kopp. The only missing piece is consistency and attitude, and that’s CMW’s job to get that straight. 

If JHS gets hurt or is in foul trouble or has to rest? 

I highly question Gunns ability to score at this level, at any level, right now. 

Its hard to be consistent when you're missing your 2nd best player. And as a group that is as veteran les as we are, I'm not sure why Woodson needs to hold their hand to have them ready. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I highly question Gunns ability to score at this level, at any level, right now. 

I'd like your thoughts on why...

I think he can obviously score against lower level competition, and I know he needs to bulk up, but I saw a kid that went to the basket with conviction and made good decisions to shoot or pass...

Not saying he could do it against Kansas or any Big 10 team, but he's got the confidence, and that's a lot of the battle... 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd like your thoughts on why...

I think he can obviously score against lower level competition, and I know he needs to bulk up, but I saw a kid that went to the basket with conviction and made good decisions to shoot or pass...

Not saying he could do it against Kansas or any Big 10 team, but he's got the confidence, and that's a lot of the battle... 

His confidence is fantastic. As is his energy. His length is tremendous as well. 

But, I don't think he's a good shooter right now.. I don't think he can dribble/go left worth a lick... and I don't want many ppl scoring in the mid range, anyways. 

He will be mightly pressured during the B1G season when he catches the ball on the perimeter. 

Plus he fouls the shit out of ppl defensively lol.. first play he gets in the other night he absolutely waps the crap out of his guy and the official missed it. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

“Effort? No one can judge effort, because effort is between you and you.”

Reminds me of this Geno Auriemma clip to his UCONN team a few years ago. It's a layered message that brilliantly reinforces a confidence and excellence while demanding more from each player (and challenging them to demand more of themselves).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

His confidence is fantastic. As is his energy. His length is tremendous as well. 

But, I don't think he's a good shooter right now.. I don't think he can dribble/go left worth a lick... and I don't want many ppl scoring in the mid range, anyways. 

He will be mightly pressured during the B1G season when he catches the ball on the perimeter. 

Plus he fouls the shit out of ppl defensively lol.. first play he gets in the other night he absolutely waps the crap out of his guy and the official missed it. 

Fair enough... I think with more time his shooting will improve...

The bolded, I saw similar (physically, except for weight and strength... Which will come) players like Ayo Dosunmu and Johnny Davis take us apart with their mid-range game... Curious as to why you dismiss it...

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he's an extended mins guy at all right now.. there might be 5-6 mins worth of use out of him a game, currently though.. because it does seem he has a tendency to "make shit happen"...

He needs to play his role offensively, though. 

Agree... Tops 10 minutes unless there are foul issues... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he's an extended mins guy at all right now.. there might be 5-6 mins worth of use out of him a game, currently though.. because it does seem he has a tendency to "make shit happen"...

He needs to play his role offensively, though. 

Right now, what elevates JHS and is "hurting" Gunn is pace. JHS has shown a better ability to change pace and pick his moments of explosion, whereas Gunn plays at a higher RPM most of the time (not unlike Troy Williams). Once CJ is able to slow down and be more nuanced, he will be exponentially more effective because he'll be able to adapt to the game as it unfolds.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fair enough... I think with more time his shooting will improve...

The bolded, I saw similar (physically, except for weight and strength... Which will come) players like Ayo Dosunmu and Johnny Davis take us apart with their mid-range game... Curious as to why you dismiss it...

Agree... Tops 10 minutes unless there are foul issues... 

Well.. because the least efficient shots are taken from there. If its in someones game, that's super.. the two guys you listed are also first round draft pics. 

I think Gunn is a 3 and D guy moving forward with the ability to cut and finish/put back dunks very well. 

I also agree that I think he will be a solid to good shoot in college. I just dont think it's currently there. One thing I can see happening later on... when he is inserted in games, he will get the other teams best perimeter player... that will really help ppl.like JHS+Cupps+Bates defensively but offensively, as well. 

11 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Right now, what elevates JHS and is "hurting" Gunn is pace. JHS has shown a better ability to change pace and pick his moments of explosion, whereas Gunn plays at a higher RPM most of the time (not unlike Troy Williams). Once CJ is able to slow down and be more nuanced, he will be exponentially more effective because he'll be able to adapt to the game as it unfolds.

JHS is also most comfortable at PG.  He is not a score first guy.  As someone mentioned before, the silver lining of XJ being out is that JHS will be in his natural position.  I don't by any means think we are better without XJ and think it is really rough not having a backup PG, but I am excited to see JHS grow as the primary ballhandler.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well.. because the least efficient shots are taken from there. If its in someones game, that's super.. the two guys you listed are also first round draft pics. 

I think Gunn is a 3 and D guy moving forward with the ability to cut and finish/put back dunks very well. 

I also agree that I think he will be a solid to good shoot in college. I just dont think it's currently there. One thing I can see happening later on... when he is inserted in games, he will get the other teams best perimeter player... that will really help ppl.like JHS+Cupps+Bates defensively but offensively, as well. 

I'm probably a bit jaded after last year having 2 guys in the lineup (Stewart and Kopp) who were one dimensional offensively (and Kopp has marginally improved there). Excited to see kids like Bates and Gunn who can score multiple ways... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1