IUBB 22/‘23

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I probably even think this could be a stupid post but hear me out.  Seeing Purdue looking better without Ivey could IU in the next couple of years be a better team once TJD leaves.  Even though he has been one of the best players to play at IU, he is still a one dimensional player that can be stopped by a true big man. If we can have a more versatile team and have a more balance team we might be harder to guard.

I think having a big with a jump shot would be great. But he does so many other things well it would be hard to imagine being harder to guard. I think if he is 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier and we’re not having this discussion. He is undersized as a 5 and has the game of a 5. 4/5 times he is the best big man on the court. IMO of course. Plus he’s a hell of a teammate from all accounts compared to some perceived issues with Ivys attitude/ball usage. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I probably even think this could be a stupid post but hear me out.  Seeing Purdue looking better without Ivey could IU in the next couple of years be a better team once TJD leaves.  Even though he has been one of the best players to play at IU, he is still a one dimensional player that can be stopped by a true big man. If we can have a more versatile team and have a more balance team we might be harder to guard.

I think the reason Purdue might be better without Ivey is very different than why we might be better in a few years without TJD. 

• Like 1

If IU had shooters then Trace wouldn’t have to put up so many points. He is effective in so many other ways than scoring though.

Btw, keep the northern trash out of this thread. There is a general college basketball (non IU) thread and a B1G thread to slap hands and atta boy with your favorite ‘other’ fan board trolls.

IU folks don’t show up to this IU board to read bs about them in every thread. It’s getting ridiculously annoying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Last 7 games Tamar Bates--

22mpg 52% FG 44% 3pt 11p 2r 

Last 5-- 

21mpg 55% FG 50% 3pt 12p 3r 2a 

He is playing with confidence.  Not afraid to make a move and take his shot.  I haven't had a chance to really pay attention to the last few games.  How has he played defensively?  Good enough to get him more minutes from CMW?

• Like 1

So listening to this yesterday...

Fischer, at about the 6:30 mark, starts talking about he's not sure if all our players have bought into their roles...

Then, on Coach Woodson's radio show, he poses a question toward that end, and Coach Woodson talks about the rotation, and how Malik and Geronimo have to figure in more...

From Inside the Hall 

• Indiana’s frontcourt depth is a bit of a concern for Woodson right now. Woodson said he’s “gotta figure out” Jordan Geronimo and Malik Reneau more in terms of the rotation.

• When talking about Reneau, Woodson said he has been on Reneau’s motor a lot lately. “Malik is still searching right now, you know. I mean, he’s a talented kid that can do a lot of things on the floor, man, but I gotta get his motor going a little bit higher than where it is right now.” 

I know playing time is an issue with these kids, but anybody closer to the program think it'll cause us problems? 

Edited by IUFLA

43 minutes ago, toonsquad said:

Not sure if this has been posted in another thread but I just saw it on Twitter. Wonder if there is any truth to it?

What a bunch of softies 

There are rules in place to limit practice today so these guys have it easy.  Guarantee that when RMK was coach and had a game like KU they would have practiced that night after getting jome

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What a bunch of softies 

There are rules in place to limit practice today so these guys have it easy.  Guarantee that when RMK was coach and had a game like KU they would have practiced that night after getting jome

Legendary RMK or Keady 3 hour practices got legislated out!

get off my lawn!!!!
I guess they don’t love basketball…

If this is true….portal sounds good for you…good luck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toonsquad said:

Not sure if this has been posted in another thread but I just saw it on Twitter. Wonder if there is any truth to it?

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What a bunch of softies 

If there is any truth to this, the team captains need to say, "not only are we not going to coach with this, we are holding an unofficial practice right now and coach's practices are going to feel like a pickup game." I have a bad feeling that wouldn't happen, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What a bunch of softies 

I agree about your “softies” comment, but I can promise you the large majority of D1 coaches (across all sports) don’t follow the “hours per week” rule. Never have, never will. I played baseball in college and we had to sign weekly sheets acknowledging 20 hours per week knowing damn well we were well over that. But what other option do you have? Say no, cause problems, don’t play, etc.? 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oh give me a break.  Winning makes things a lot more fun.  Here's 2 freebies then war starts.  War isn't fun either.  

Since guys are making money now, maybe they should consider basketball more as a job instead of just fun. To beat the teams we want to beat I guarantee that the preparation required won't be fun. I'm guessing that CMW is employing the "you think you are playing hard, but you're not" mantra that CBK always used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Burnout is what happens when you spend too much time doing something and don't feel like you're getting anything beneficial out of it. It doesn't necessarily mean any of these guys are soft.

What all of us wouldn’t give to be 20 and playing basketball every day 

beneficial???

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Since guys are making money now, maybe they should consider basketball more as a job instead of just fun. To beat the teams we want to beat I guarantee that the preparation required won't be fun. I'm guessing that CMW is employing the "you think you are playing hard, but you're not" mantra that CBK always used.

yeah.  my son is a walk on and while he is getting a solid academic scholarship, he is stressing about money and having debt coming out of college.  he wants to get a job, but really has no time.  it's a choice he made and he is getting some really cool experiences, so it is what it is, but it's hard to hear players complaining about having to practice too much when they get their college free.  they also stay in really nice hotels, eat really good food, and many are making money now as well.   

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  my son is a walk on and while he is getting a solid academic scholarship, he is stressing about money and having debt coming out of college.  he wants to get a job, but really has no time.  it's a choice he made and he is getting some really cool experiences, so it is what it is, but it's hard to hear players complaining about having to practice too much when they get their college free.  they also stay in really nice hotels, eat really good food, and many are making money now as well.   

Your son will no doubt benefit from going through this experience. Probably much more than those who have everything given to them. I know you are a proud Dad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Your son will no doubt benefit from going through this experience. Probably much more than those who have everything given to them. I know you are a proud Dad.

for sure.  and i'm not complaining.  i am just one of those old school old guys.  i keep telling him it's normal for kids to come out of college with some debt and that he needs to do his job as a student and player and that's all.  he is very appreciative of how well they are treated.  he's impressed by the hotels and the food.  the attire as well.  this is only at little Presbyterian.  smallest D1 program in the country.  i can't imagine what it is like at IU!

23 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Hope your son has a great year. What level is he playing at

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

he decided to redshirt this season which makes all the sense in the world.  he is a freshman walk on and his biggest problem is lack of size.  he has teammates the same height, but he is the lightest on the team by 20 pounds.  i'd put the kid up against anyone in a shooting contest though!  i personally think he should look at a D2 school next year or the year after and actually get to play, but he wants to be a coach and get D1 connections and see how a D1 program operates.  we'll see...

• Like 2