IUBB 22/‘23

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, he's right on the cusp of eligibility for a medical redshirt. Don't know if they count the game where he was injured.

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:

• Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
  • Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season
  • Not participate in more than 30% of the season’s games

It is important to note that the injury has to be season-ending. A season ending injury results when an athlete suffers a major injury in which they will be sidelined for several months. However, it is ultimately up to the athlete to decide if they want to go through with surgery or medical repairs as opposed to playing through the injury. There are many injuries throughout a collegiate season that could qualify you for a medical redshirt depending on when they occured.

Well, he participated in the Kansas game.  By my math he has played in too many regular season games.  But the NCAA does grant waivers.

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, he's right on the cusp of eligibility for a medical redshirt. Don't know if they count the game where he was injured.

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:

It is important to note that the injury has to be season-ending. A season ending injury results when an athlete suffers a major injury in which they will be sidelined for several months. However, it is ultimately up to the athlete to decide if they want to go through with surgery or medical repairs as opposed to playing through the injury. There are many injuries throughout a collegiate season that could qualify you for a medical redshirt depending on when they occured.

In order to qualify he would need for us to play 40 games and him not return…

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, that's the thing. He's technically over, but not by that much. 

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, he participated in the Kansas game.  By my math he has played in too many regular season games.  But the NCAA does grant waivers.

It’s total games, not regular season. But still, he’s likely over the limit. 

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Interesting. Maybe X can come back for another year to torment @Coach Shep 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

He’s not coming back for another year regardless. We will be lucky if we see him by the big ten tournament. 

That’s a bummer.

Is this just from what we’ve seen publicly or inside info? Not that it would be different than what we’ve seen publicly, just wondering if you’ve heard it more conclusively. 

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Very cool gesture. I know people will get into the NIL stuff. How about this. Kid knows he has extra and is being nice at Christmas time...and from what I keep hearing this kid just works and works and works.....Hoosier personified. 

Not getting into NIL, but what that was is leadership.  With X down, this season can go two ways.  It can go down the tubes or guys can step up and take advantage of the opportunity they now have.  JHS is now our point guard.  That position is the floor leader.

If he is what you say, that is also a lockerroom leader.  With the rumor up above complaining about practices (which I kind of question the validity of) this team may need some players who can act as rudders for the team.

X going down is a big opportunity for 3 young guys IMO.  JHS, Bates, and Gunn.  How they react to the opportunity is going to determine our season IMO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

X going down is a big opportunity for 3 young guys IMO.  JHS, Bates, and Gunn.  How they react to the opportunity is going to determine our season IMO.

Especially Gunn... He had some nice drives to the basket where he either finished or laid it off (he had 3 assists two of them to Duncomb)... We need a slasher... He also had 0 turnovers 2 steals and 3 boards in 20 minutes of action... And I don't think anyone can question his motor... Needs to tame it a little, but from what I've seen so far, I'm excited for his future... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Very cool gesture. I know people will get into the NIL stuff. How about this. Kid knows he has extra and is being nice at Christmas time...and from what I keep hearing this kid just works and works and works.....Hoosier personified. 

Lot of adults could learn from tjis young man. To whom much is given much is required 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lot of adults could learn from tjis young man. To whom much is given much is required 

I remembered reading this over the summer... 

"It’s also important to understand who Jalen is as a person, too. Angel Schifino said Jalen is “a very mature kid,” “very neat” and “an old soul,” among other descriptions. One time, they were at a red light and there was a woman who wasn’t wearing any shoes. Her legs and feet were swollen. So Jalen went into the trunk and gave the woman a pair of his new Kobe’s. The woman cried."

Made me well-up a little when I first read it... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remembered reading this over the summer... 

"It’s also important to understand who Jalen is as a person, too. Angel Schifino said Jalen is “a very mature kid,” “very neat” and “an old soul,” among other descriptions. One time, they were at a red light and there was a woman who wasn’t wearing any shoes. Her legs and feet were swollen. So Jalen went into the trunk and gave the woman a pair of his new Kobe’s. The woman cried."

Made me well-up a little when I first read it... 

I remember reading the first part of that statement on a message board but didn't see the part about him giving shoes to that lady. Good for him, very considerate (and classy) thing to do.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Especially Gunn... He had some nice drives to the basket where he either finished or laid it off (he had 3 assists two of them to Duncomb)... We need a slasher... He also had 0 turnovers 2 steals and 3 boards in 20 minutes of action... And I don't think anyone can question his motor... Needs to tame it a little, but from what I've seen so far, I'm excited for his future... 

I should just control C and V my post on Gunn from last summer. Easily the least talked about Indy area recruit I can remember. Kid just scores. I kept saying Greg Graham when we signed him. From what I've seen much further along.....huge opportunity for the kid.