IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dabo Sweeney is probably the most outspoken Christian in college football, as a coach,  that I can think of.  He's got a ring and quite a bit of success.  I would imagine there are plenty of players looking for an environment of personal/spiritual growth and accountability.   Now does it turn off certain recruits,  I'm sure it does.  

And Christianity and Deshaun Watson slinging it around the yard go hand in hand.....no pun intended. Haha. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Honestly though Dabo had his best seasons when Watson and Lawrence were playing. It's all about the QB. Find one and you have 7-8 wins in most P5 conferences locked up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Right.  Make them contract/marketing employees of Fox Sports and the B1G network.  

If they are employees then let them pay for their schooling and get rid of scholarships. Make them pay for their meals because I don't think regular employees get meals free

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's a lot of money. I admittedly am not in the know of going NIL rates for top players. But if it's what is required, so be it.... gotta spend money to make money.

No you don’t. That’s the rub. IU will make a shit ton of bowl revenue and tv revenue just for sitting in the Big10.  They don’t have to do Jack shit but toe the conference line. And they know it too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If they are employees then let them pay for their schooling and get rid of scholarships. Make them pay for their meals because I don't think regular employees get meals free

At 350k I'm sure they could afford it.  

You might be onto something.  Maybe there should be the option.  Full ride with the standard benefits package or NIL pay your own way.  Problem is, federal law already approved the NIL so where is the line drawn?  Eventually the courts are going to rule that players get a share of the TV money.  It's just a matter of time.  And yes, universities will have to make decisions on what to do with non revenue sports just like naia, d2, and 3 do anyways.  Not the end of sports and certainly not the end of the world.  

39 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

At 350k I'm sure they could afford it.  

You might be onto something.  Maybe there should be the option.  Full ride with the standard benefits package or NIL pay your own way.  Problem is, federal law already approved the NIL so where is the line drawn?  Eventually the courts are going to rule that players get a share of the TV money.  It's just a matter of time.  And yes, universities will have to make decisions on what to do with non revenue sports just like naia, d2, and 3 do anyways.  Not the end of sports and certainly not the end of the world.  

If I had anything else I was interested in or had other options, I would stop supporting college sports because of of this is ruining the sport I grew up watching.

Don Fischer was on DD show today and voiced his displeasure with the direction that college sports are going. He said it eventually will ruined college sports 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If I had anything else I was interested in or had other options, I would stop supporting college sports because of of this is ruining the sport I grew up watching.

Don Fischer was on DD show today and voiced his displeasure with the direction that college sports are going. He said it eventually will ruined college sports 

Probably.  Hopefully we hang a banner before it self-destructs.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

For those that mock LEO

This is Kahlil Bensons mom. Devon Matthews mom has said similar. 

Screenshot_20221208-151930_Twitter.jpg

I was coming here to post this too. I have been critical of the rah rah stuff, but the family mantra is a good thing. I just hope he makes better decisions with coaching. The heart is there. 

• Like 2

I think it’s bold to assume a few parents posts are the the true measure.  I have talked directly to a couple parents who feel the exact opposite. The truth is likely in the middle from both ends but I have direct examples of things that have been done and said that have turned me personally off on this coaching staff.

However, I think it will be good for this staff to bring in new players with fresh perceptions, but as has been alluded by others what is the word on IU in the player circles out there?  We will see I guess.

48 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think it’s bold to assume a few parents posts are the the true measure.  I have talked directly to a couple parents who feel the exact opposite. The truth is likely in the middle from both ends but I have direct examples of things that have been done and said that have turned me personally off on this coaching staff.

However, I think it will be good for this staff to bring in new players with fresh perceptions, but as has been alluded by others what is the word on IU in the player circles out there?  We will see I guess.

Would be interested in what you have heard and your direct examples. I am not sold either, just like to see some positivity in the depths of all the negative. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There are over 100 football players on a team... it's impossible to believe every interaction will result in all parties being happy. 

And polling parents isn't really the best or most useful way to guage things regardless of whether their feedback is positive or negative. 

I dont care who the coach is or how successful they are, you can always find players/parents that hate them. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And polling parents isn't really the best or most useful way to guage things regardless of whether their feedback is positive or negative. 

I dont care who the coach is or how successful they are, you can always find players/parents that hate them. 

Of course. I have had some of the "most loyal" parents stab me in the back.. because in the end, they were just using me or our relationship to get what they wanted out of the situation... and when the realized they weren't getting what they wanted, they immediately turned into me, as the coach, having some personal vendetta against their child. Multiple times have had my character questioned because little Timmy couldn't get on the field. 

Momma Benson wasn't held against her will to say these things, though. And there were also multiple parents who commented on the post. 

Either way... I have no issue if ppl are frustrated with Allen as far as the product on the field goes. I just don't make it habit to mock people for wanting to do good. That's the bottom line for me. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

There are over 100 football players on a team... it's impossible to believe every interaction will result in all parties being happy. 

Speaking as a parent who's daughter played college softball..... Just like any parent would hope for their child, we wanted her to be/feel safe, comfortable and happy. We wanted the coach to be as genuine, honest and transparent with her, like when he recruited her. When she got on campus and officially on the team, things became quit the opposite. After one year, she transferred to a different school, that new coach's message and pitch to her did not waiver. I know this happens in all sports and it's unfortunate, we just witnessed it first hand.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Apparently, IU is revoking season ticket holders. Zane is a local guy and is one of the announcers for USI, so he is pretty trustworthy 

This is zero deal.  It says they have identified accounts who's sole intent is resale.  

Literally not even tweetable worthy news.  A guy trying to get clicks and create false hysteria.   

Correct me if I'm wrong.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is zero deal.  It says they have identified accounts whole sole intent is resale.  

Literally not even tweetable worthy news.  A guy trying to get clicks and create false hysteria.   

Correct me if I'm wrong.  

Don't believe you are wrong. 

Edited by btownqb

9 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Friend of mine is tight with the IU chaplain, and he says Tom really is a good Christian man, who practices what he preaches to the best of his ability. 

This is a good thing in regards to his faith, but not so good if this also relates to his coaching. What he's preaching there doesn't seemed to be in practice (enough) and if it is, he's preaching the wrong message. I think we all know he's a good person and a god fearing man, most are skeptical of his ability to coach at this level, develop players (not the person, the player), and make adjustments both on and off the field (and quickly). I am not a CTA basher, but at this level, being a good person only goes so far. You have to win too. I do credit him for the two good seasons; all seasons and games have "fluky" stuff. But I also will blame him for some poor performances regardless of the limitations within the program. They lost a few games this year that they should have won. Win those and we're not talking about him AT ALL. 

Edited by OGIUAndy