Transfer Portal

DC2345

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

His stats in 3 years at Texas. Averaging less than 1.5 yards per carry and one TD in almost 50 rushing attempts. Peyton Ramsey had duel threat ability. This guy isn’t that and likely has no intention to be.
Which is great for Harrell who wasn’t a duel threat QB at Tech, has never coached duel threat QBs at any level and is a disciple of Mike Leach’s Air Raid offense. This is the precise system he deployed at North Texas and USC and will be the system he will implement at Purdue, assuming Brohm gives him total control over the offense.
You’re once again out over your skis, Boiler…walk it on back. 

Brohm isn't Purdue's coach

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

His stats in 3 years at Texas. Averaging less than 1.5 yards per carry and one TD in almost 50 rushing attempts. Peyton Ramsey had duel threat ability. This guy isn’t that and likely has no intention to be.
Which is great for Harrell who wasn’t a duel threat QB at Tech, has never coached duel threat QBs at any level and is a disciple of Mike Leach’s Air Raid offense. This is the precise system he deployed at North Texas and USC and will be the system he will implement at Purdue, assuming Brohm gives him total control over the offense.

Brohm came back to Purdue? He has a lot of ability to make things happen with his legs if he needs to which is important and something we haven’t had since Blough. 

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Basing it on multiple reports from staff who have seen practices. He took a prep year and has impressed so far. When you say Card doesn’t run, what’s that based on? He has dual threat ability. 

14 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

based on this film, no Card is not dual threat. He does a decent job of alluding the first defender, but he is not dual threat. 

@Hoosier82 I will mention... not ALL of those "rush" attempts are rush attempts. Any time a QB is sacked in college, it's counted as a rushing attempt, which is embarrassingly stupid they still do it that way. Sacks drastically change QB YPA. But I do agree... just watching this kids film... Ramsey is quite a bit better of an athlete, and bigger. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Purdue fans always have a creative way to spin negative news. 

They do this all the time when a basketball player transfers. It's never that the player wasn't good enough or just wanted to be someplace else, it's always because some freshman is going to come in and get all their minutes and they "saw the writing on the wall." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

@Hoosier82 I will mention... not ALL of those "rush" attempts are rush attempts. Any time a QB is sacked in college, it's counted as a rushing attempt, which is embarrassingly stupid they still do it that way. Sacks drastically change QB YPA. But I do agree... just watching this kids film... Ramsey is quite a bit better of an athlete, and bigger. 

I understood that and compared sacks to rushing attempts and it clear as day this guy doesn’t look to run the ball. For instance, his best sample size was in 2021 where he was sacked 10 times. Which means he “rushed” the ball a grand total of 16 times over the course or 7 game appearances. 
My main point was regarding Boiler’s assertion that the Air Raid offense Harrell utilizes requires a mobile/duel threat QB and thus Brady Allen was shown the door, is absurd and lacking any relevant rationale.
Whether Card could be an effective running QB if he ever played in a system that’s built around a duel threat? Maybe? Probably not and we’re not gonna find out. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I understood that and compared sacks to rushing attempts and it clear as day this guy doesn’t look to run the ball. For instance, his best sample size was in 2021 where he was sacked 10 times. Which means he “rushed” the ball a grand total of 16 times over the course or 7 game appearances. 
My main point was regarding Boiler’s assertion that the Air Raid offense Harrell utilizes requires a mobile/duel threat QB and thus Brady Allen was shown the door, is absurd and lacking any relevant rationale.
Whether Card could be an effective running QB if he ever played in a system that’s built around a duel threat? Maybe? Probably not and we’re not gonna find out. 

No 100%. I watched all the tape from last year... basically zero designed runs for him. 

4 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I never said it required a mobile/dual threat QB but that Card was simply a better fit. Why else would Allen enter the portal a 2nd time in such a short period of time? I think it was telling that he didn’t even get any playing time in the bowl game behind 2 mediocre at best QB’s. 

4 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

They do this all the time when a basketball player transfers. It's never that the player wasn't good enough or just wanted to be someplace else, it's always because some freshman is going to come in and get all their minutes and they "saw the writing on the wall." 

I mean I think it’s safe to say Allen wasn’t good enough. Could things change? Absolutely but so far he hasn’t proven to be worthy of the high ranking out of high school. 

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Michigan St just lost starting QB Payton Thorne and star WR Keon Coleman. Time will tell if something is up but maybe giving Tucker a $100M was a bit premature.

All things considered... portal again, was a net positive for us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

All things considered... portal again, was a net positive for us.  

People were losing their...over the number of players we lost. Check it out now:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/team-rankings/football/2023/

At first glance, I would 21 is about average. And that's after two bad years. CTA is definitely trending toward the hot seat, but I have been impressed how he's been able to keep recruiting both HS and the Portal pretty well. But this is a huge year for him. He needs to scratch and claw his way to 6+ wins the next couple of years. I'm rooting for him, but he's got to shake the really bad drop off seasons. He's gonna have to do what he can to keep the impact players healthy, even if that means lessening their plays per game. Injuries and stubbornness/loyalty have had a huge impact. I hope he's learned from both and has a better strategy going forward. Don't burn out your top players (not saying he has but be mindful) and if something/someone isn't working out, pull the plug and make adjustments. IU doesn't have a lot of margin for error to wait for things to "correct themselves". 

I think we are better at a lot of positions.  I think we will be more physical up front on both sides of the line of scrimmage.  Our skill positions on offense should be better.  

I think it comes down to our two redshirt freshmen QBs and whether they can produce plus our general depth.   I suspect both will get a lot of snaps.  

Penn State is going to be top 5.  Michigan and OSU are coming off the playoffs.  UM has McCarthy and Korum back.  Our schedule will always be an issue.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think we are better at a lot of positions.  I think we will be more physical up front on both sides of the line of scrimmage.  Our skill positions on offense should be better.  

I think it comes down to our two redshirt freshmen QBs and whether they can produce plus our general depth.   I suspect both will get a lot of snaps.  

Penn State is going to be top 5.  Michigan and OSU are coming off the playoffs.  UM has McCarthy and Korum back.  Our schedule will always be an issue.  

Good analysis. Wonder if we'll add a transfer qb with experience?  And the sledding will always be brutal in the B1G East. Hopefully they do away with divisions and we get a better chance for success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Good analysis. Wonder if we'll add a transfer qb with experience?  And the sledding will always be brutal in the B1G East. Hopefully they do away with divisions and we get a better chance for success.

I’m happy in the B1G East. It isn’t like we are ever going to play for national championships. At least we will play against teams that matter…we will have high visibility games in the national spotlight. I’d much rather play teams with a number by their name than not. Recruits also want to play against top competition because it puts game tape out there for the pros. You don’t think it’s a huge selling point that you go to IU you will get to play in the Shoe or the Big House or Happy Valley? That you will face multiple top 10 teams to prove yourself against? If we win our other games who cares if we lose 2-3 games a year. We aren’t close to being that type of team consistently but I’d worry about it if we were missing out on championship appearances because of our gauntlet…in our case it benefits us with national exposure, resume building and ranking opportunities if we win, and honestly we play a relevant schedule against kids that will be playing on Sunday.

I mean if we don’t want to be in the East then we might as well drop down and play in the MAC. I just never understand this argument every time I hear it. Playing against the best gives us the best opportunity to build the best program possible. It makes us stronger. It makes Ole Miss stronger playing Alabama, LSU, Auburn etc…they get tons of good recruits because they are in a premier conference playing best competition imaginable. Let’s worry about winning our non-conference and beating Rutgers/Marylands consistently before crying we have to play the three headed monster of PSU, UM, OSU.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m happy in the B1G East. It isn’t like we are ever going to play for national championships. At least we will play against teams that matter…we will have high visibility games in the national spotlight. I’d much rather play teams with a number by their name than not. Recruits also want to play against top competition because it puts game tape out there for the pros. You don’t think it’s a huge selling point that you go to IU you will get to play in the Shoe or the Big House or Happy Valley? That you will face multiple top 10 teams to prove yourself against? If we win our other games who cares if we lose 2-3 games a year. We aren’t close to being that type of team consistently but I’d worry about it if we were missing out on championship appearances because of our gauntlet…in our case it benefits us with national exposure, resume building and ranking opportunities if we win, and honestly we play a relevant schedule against kids that will be playing on Sunday.

I mean if we don’t want to be in the East then we might as well drop down and play in the MAC. I just never understand this argument every time I hear it. Playing against the best gives us the best opportunity to build the best program possible. It makes us stronger. It makes Ole Miss stronger playing Alabama, LSU, Auburn etc…they get tons of good recruits because they are in a premier conference playing best competition imaginable. Let’s worry about winning our non-conference and beating Rutgers/Marylands consistently before crying we have to play the three headed monster of PSU, UM, OSU.

I see where you're coming from, and agree on the part about playing the best.  Games against the big 3 are great for fans, players,  and recruits.

Your SEC example excludes the fact they only play 8 conference games. Our main goal should be to make a bowl game for prestige, but equally important,  to get extra practice time. If we had 3 gimme non-conference games, plus 1 power 5 team, our bowl chances improve greatly. If we start off with 3-4 wins in the non-conference,  we would only have to win 2-3 games out of Maryland,  Rutgers, MSU, Purdue,  and our other West opponents. Just my thoughts, but I like those odds better. 

If the B1G stays with 9 conference games, but does away with divisions, only playing 2 of the big 3 makes our chances of winning go up. That was my main point. Guess we'll see what the future of the B1G holds for us. I don't expect any favors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

We're coming up on a decade now of playing in this division. Has it made our program stronger? The latest NFL draft and our upcoming recruiting class rankings beg to differ. 

• Like 2