Transfer Portal

DC2345

50 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Its ok to get excited, i'm with you. Still doesnt fix a broken O-Line bringing in a QB or 10. It wasnt even addressed in the portal.

We brought in a 3 year starter from UMASS. Has played 3 positions on the OL and 25 career starts. 

But, bringing Bedford back along with Moore, Sales, Smith, and others developing is our best route. We actually have a fair amount of highly ranked younger guys... I hope the new OL coach develops them. 

Benson, Sales both started to really play well near the end of last season. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

I will also mention..  while no doubt our OL has been awful for 2 years and was only average the Covid year... 

We also play 3 schools every year that turn out HIGH NFL draft picks on their DL. Bosas, Tyquan Lewis, Chase Young OSU, Kwity Paye, Aidan Hutchinson UM, Micah Parsons PSU... that's just the ones of the top of my head.. 

Those three schools defensive fronts, and really MSU as well..  are elite in their front 7, especially. 

Makes it extra tough. All I'm saying. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

There is a reason Tennessee went after him.  

Fair enough but he was kinda buried on the depth chart. Had less than 5 passing attempts according to ESPN. That being said they did have an exceptional qb room last season. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He's a top 200 player that was a multiple state title winning QB in a state's biggest class and has a dad who is a police chief and former NFL player. 

No, the fact TJD is his brother is irrelevant to me. 

His high school team was stacked, with kids on that team now playing at UCLA, OSU, and Kansas. But it is nice to have someone who has had a history of success

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly. Four star recruit who was a top 12 QB coming out of high school with a ton of huge offers, plus he won two championships in high school.  

We had a very similar situation with a player by the name of Jack Tuttle.

Look guys I want this kid to be just as successful as the rest of you, but I just don't see this as a huge get atm. Really hope he can play, because he is going to have to. I don't want to come off as pessimistic but we really shouldn't have high expectations for Tayven. I want this upcoming season to be great just as much as all of you, but this has the feeling of a prime future "triangle" post that upsets everyone. I see a lot of similarities with this transfer and that of Jack Tuttle's, and if he can play like Jack maybe we can get back to a bowl game.

I want this to work out just as bad as everyone else. I'm one of the students that actually still stays the whole game. Just trying to temper expectations I suppose. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up and disappointed again 😞

3 minutes ago, DireBump said:

Fair enough but he was kinda buried on the depth chart. Had less than 5 passing attempts according to ESPN. That being said they did have an exceptional qb room last season. 

His high school team was stacked, with kids on that team now playing at UCLA, OSU, and Kansas. But it is nice to have someone who has had a history of success

We had a very similar situation with a player by the name of Jack Tuttle.

Look guys I want this kid to be just as successful as the rest of you, but I just don't see this as a huge get atm. Really hope he can play, because he is going to have to. I don't want to come off as pessimistic but we really shouldn't have high expectations for Tayven. I want this upcoming season to be great just as much as all of you, but this has the feeling of a prime future "triangle" post that upsets everyone. I see a lot of similarities with this transfer and that of Jack Tuttle's, and if he can play like Jack maybe we can get back to a bowl game.

I want this to work out just as bad as everyone else. I'm one of the students that actually still stays the whole game. Just trying to temper expectations I suppose. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up and disappointed again 😞

Probably the best QB room in the country. 

TJ being 3rd team on that team as a TR FR is solid. He's a piece. Doesn't have to be the "answer". 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I will also mention..  while no doubt our OL has been awful for 2 years and was only average the Covid year... 

We also play 3 schools every year that turn out HIGH NFL draft picks on their DL. Bosas, Tyquan Lewis, Chase Young OSU, Kwity Paye, Aidan Hutchinson UM, Micah Parsons PSU... that's just the ones of the top of my head.. 

Those three schools defensive fronts, and really MSU as well..  are elite in their front 7, especially. 

Our schedule last season was absolutely brutal:

IL - 8-5, made bowl

Idaho - 7-5, made FCS playoffs

WKU - 9-5, won bowl game

Cincy - 9-4, made bowl

Neb - 4-8

UM - 13-1, CFP

MD - 8-5, won bowl game

Rutg - 4-8

PSU - 11-2, won Rose Bowl 

OSU - 11-2, CFP

MSU - 5-7

Purdue - 8-6, won West div, embarrassed in bowl game

Stats aside, I'll put that up against just about any schedule for toughest in the country.

9 of our opponents went to bowls or playoffs, we played literally half of the CFP, and we played a third team that was CFP level. MSU missed a bowl specifically because we beat them. 

It's a massive hill to climb every year being in the B10 east for a program like IU, and our ooc opponents haven't been pushovers, either.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Exactly. As much as I want IU to be really good in football, we are realistically playing for fourth place in the B1g East. Unless something drastic changes, we will never compete for talent with the top of the conference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I like your use of the word piece there.  The kid has tools and a great background but I also think it’s ok to be a little cautious as a fan.

It is alright to be cautious but don't have to rain on this day as well.  There are plenty of time during the year to be negative but why bring it up now.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is alright to be cautious but don't have to rain on this day as well.  There are plenty of time during the year to be negative but why bring it up now.

I guess I didn’t view anything that has been said as negative.  Nobody said he isn’t good.  I think the one poster was just saying that fans should slow down.  I didn’t see anything negative directed at the player.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I guess I didn’t view anything that has been said as negative.  Nobody said he isn’t good.  I think the one poster was just saying that fans should slow down.  I didn’t see anything negative directed at the player.

Why does anyone need to slow down, I didn't see anyone saying we will now be big ten contenders.  After the last two years it is nice to have some good news around the program.  I for one thought after the last two years our recruiting was going into the toilet.  I am pleasantly surprised with how this year's class has gone including the transfers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why does anyone need to slow down, I didn't see anyone saying we will now be big ten contenders.  After the last two years it is nice to have some good news around the program.  I for one thought after the last two years our recruiting was going into the toilet.  I am pleasantly surprised with how this year's class has gone including the transfers.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m trying to say.  Not worth it…

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

He fills a position of need and is arguably a major upgrade to what we have had. We would have been ecstatic if we would have gotten him out of high school. Let's surround him with pieces and see what happens.

If Payne had stayed... I'd absolutely love where we were at skill position wise. I still like it. I'm praying we are trying to scheme a number of ways to simply stretch the field horizontally... to then stretch it vertically. 

Ways to run jet, screens, RPOs, etc. Everything. 

We cannot be predictable. 

• Like 1

If Payne had stayed... I'd absolutely love where we were at skill position wise. I still like it. I'm praying we are trying to scheme a number of ways to simply stretch the field horizontally... to then stretch it vertically. 

Ways to run jet, screens, RPOs, etc. Everything. 

We cannot be predictable. 

Funny you mentioned Payne.  I was just thinking how nice it would have been if he would have stayed.  I guess he wanted to be with McCullough.

But I think we have had an outstanding off-season so far.  Long way to go with off-season development, both physically and on the field.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Funny you mentioned Payne.  I was just thinking how nice it would have been if he would have stayed.  I guess he wanted to be with McCullough.

But I think we have had an outstanding off-season so far.  Long way to go with off-season development, both physically and on the field.  

The crazy thing with Payne is that he went there and may never see the field at ND. Their RB is LOADED! 

• Like 2

I read we have 5 or so scholarships left. We are still recruiting a couple of HS SRs. 

Sounds good.  I’d keep 2-3 spots in case somebody good somewhere else wants to transfer after spring practice at their current schools.  We often get some nice additions late.  I’m still in the camp on Chance Nolan so we get somebody with experience in the QB room.  

• Like 2

We have a chance to be a lot better…. 

QB. Some good young prospects headlined by TJ.  Hopefully we add a vet.

Receiver.  This group has improved drastically compared to where it was the last year or two.  Deep and talented with a ton of promise.  Good position coach with NFL background can hopefully really develop these guys.  Carter from Fordham is highly productive.  Cam Camper was a revelation until he got hurt.  McCulley has great potential with his size and he’s a beast with the ball in his hands.   Cooper is coming along.  I don’t know if they will run Lucas in the slot but you have got to get the ball into his hands.   

Running back.  I always liked Josh Henderson. Good size and agility.  The Wake transfer should be solid.  Lucas is a weapon.  I will be curious to see how they use him.  Hopefully we get a big recruit at this spot in 2024.  Trent Howland brings power and David Holloman can fly but those two haven’t produced yet. 

O line.  Playing as a unit is huge.  That’s where the new coach will really help (along with player development).  The UMass transfer has a good reputation and a lot of experience plus Bell vouches for him as his former coach.  Sales and Bedford can be solid tackles if healthy.  Benson is an emerging talent at guard.  Young guys like Carter Smith, Bray Lynch and DJ Moore are up and coming.  I will be shocked if this group doesn’t improve drastically.  

TE.  Bomba can block. We have a couple of well regarded Freshmen but I wonder if they are ready.   Maybe we add a transfer here to balance the classes?  I don’t know how much this position will be emphasized in the pass game at this point.  

D line.  Wow, we made some great additions.  Burris from ATM and Blidi from Texas Tech at defensive tackle give us two talented additions.   I’ve always been intrigued by Cooper Jones who is getting bigger and is a good athlete.   Our ends and bulls look a lot better with the talent we’ve added.  Carter at end from Western Michigan was a coup to get.   

LB.  I believe Aaron Casey comes back.  Farrar from Stanford was productive.  The LB from Austin Peay looks interesting, small but active.  Kaiden Turner is well regarded.

Secondary.  Lack of experience back here is scary but they have talent.   We have Toomer and the kid from Texas transferring in.  Dunnam, Sharpe, and baby Mullen look very promising.  Bonds at safety has always been impressive to me.  The transfer from Texas Tech may be decent.  We have a really good freshman coming in at safety.  Our coaches are solid and they’ve got their work cut out for them getting these guys sound and ready. 

Specials.  We lost Campbell but we added a really well regarded recruit at kicker. Our punter is excellent. Lucas as a return man speaks for himself. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We have a chance to be a lot better…. 

QB. Some good young prospects headlined by TJ.  Hopefully we add a vet.

Receiver.  This group has improved drastically compared to where it was the last year or two.  Deep and talented with a ton of promise.  Good position coach with NFL background can hopefully really develop these guys.  Carter from Fordham is highly productive.  Cam Camper was a revelation until he got hurt.  McCulley has great potential with his size and he’s a beast with the ball in his hands.   Cooper is coming along.  I don’t know if they will run Lucas in the slot but you have got to get the ball into his hands.   

Running back.  I always liked Josh Henderson. Good size and agility.  The Wake transfer should be solid.  Lucas is a weapon.  I will be curious to see how they use him.  Hopefully we get a big recruit at this spot in 2024.  Trent Howland brings power and David Holloman can fly but those two haven’t produced yet. 

O line.  Playing as a unit is huge.  That’s where the new coach will really help (along with player development).  The UMass transfer has a good reputation and a lot of experience plus Bell vouches for him as his former coach.  Sales and Bedford can be solid tackles if healthy.  Benson is an emerging talent at guard.  Young guys like Carter Smith, Bray Lynch and DJ Moore are up and coming.  I will be shocked if this group doesn’t improve drastically.  

TE.  Bomba can block. We have a couple of well regarded Freshmen but I wonder if they are ready.   Maybe we add a transfer here to balance the classes?  I don’t know how much this position will be emphasized in the pass game at this point.  

D line.  Wow, we made some great additions.  Burris from ATM and Blidi from Texas Tech at defensive tackle give us two talented additions.   I’ve always been intrigued by Cooper Jones who is getting bigger and is a good athlete.   Our ends and bulls look a lot better with the talent we’ve added.  Carter at end from Western Michigan was a coup to get.   

LB.  I believe Aaron Casey comes back.  Farrar from Stanford was productive.  The LB from Austin Peay looks interesting, small but active.  Kaiden Turner is well regarded.

Secondary.  Lack of experience back here is scary but they have talent.   We have Toomer and the kid from Texas transferring in.  Dunnam, Sharpe, and baby Mullen look very promising.  Bonds at safety has always been impressive to me.  The transfer from Texas Tech may be decent.  We have a really good freshman coming in at safety.  Our coaches are solid and they’ve got their work cut out for them getting these guys sound and ready. 

Specials.  We lost Campbell but we added a really well regarded recruit at kicker. Our punter is excellent. Lucas as a return man speaks for himself. 

Couple of things to add-- this is a great post first.. 

TE- Bomba is fine, as mentioned. But, Steinfeldt was a freak athlete in HS.. I think he will truly be an "average B1G TE" and I don't mean that as a knock. Like he will hang, make some solid plays for us, etc. 

But.. Foley, Sam West, and Ryan Miller are well ranked guys. I've mentioned I'm a fan of Sam West.. B1G time athlete. But, Foley was someone Tennessee wanted and just didnt have a scholly for.. Ryan Miller had offers... Foley and Miller are both 6'6, as well. 

DB- we also have 2 Juco  safeties coming in. And don't forget Monds. 

I'm in the belief.. we saw Keys, Watley, Lanier leave because the younger guys/transfers were simply going to squeeze them out of playing time. 🙏

I loved your thoughts on the OL. 

• Like 6