Transfer Portal

DC2345

I've been hesitant to put this out there because it is only the opinion of a couple of guys I know.  He's very raw.  A couple of coaches that I know (who compete against CG) in the Indy area kinda compared him to McCulley....checks a lot of boxes as far as physical tools go, but isn't ready to play yet.  They were shocked he went to UT in the first place.  So, while I'd be happy to get him, he needs a lot of coaching and I hope we still bring in Nolan or someone else to give him some time.  Just a couple of opinions and I'm certain there are others who feel differently of course.  I should add that this goes back to when he committed (and CG runs an entirely different system than colleges do), so hopefully, the UT staff coached him up well!!  I'd love to hear some other opinions from those in the coaching scene.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I've been hesitant to put this out there because it is only the opinion of a couple of guys I know.  He's very raw.  A couple of coaches that I know (who compete against CG) in the Indy area kinda compared him to McCulley....checks a lot of boxes as far as physical tools go, but isn't ready to play yet.  They were shocked he went to UT in the first place.  So, while I'd be happy to get him, he needs a lot of coaching and I hope we still bring in Nolan or someone else to give him some time.  Just a couple of opinions and I'm certain there are others who feel differently of course.  I should add that this goes back to when he committed (and CG runs an entirely different system than colleges do), so hopefully, the UT staff coached him up well!!  I'd love to hear some other opinions from those in the coaching scene.

FWIW, the Vols did land a big-time QB.  Can't pronounce his last name.  My thinking is TJ is just getting squeezed out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

He's top 200 and got the tools just have to coach him up.  Nothing guaranteed here, but again nothing is guaranteed.

4 hours ago, rico said:

FWIW, the Vols did land a big-time QB.  Can't pronounce his last name.  My thinking is TJ is just getting squeezed out.

Kind of what I was saying earlier or implied it. I get why he chose Tennessee....but the SEC overrecruits each position each year no matter the stars. The squeeze happened and hopefully will be our benefit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Just my two cents. He has one year of learning/practicing/studying film room,etc....removed from his CG days. The amount of growth that takes place in kids at QB position just from Sr in High School to Freshman year in any college let alone a school like Tennessee is mind boggling.

I get what your friends are saying....kind of...but this kid is far from CG days where it was pitch and catch. IF this happens I know the position for IU just a whole bunch better.