Transfer Portal

DC2345

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

highly rated coming out of high school but spent 1 year getting a redshirt and this past year only got 1 tackle in 8 games.  

How do our DL numbers look compared to last year?  Seems like we are adding a lot of DL from the portal.  Did we lose that many players from the DL or we just choosing to have more depth?

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

highly rated coming out of high school but spent 1 year getting a redshirt and this past year only got 1 tackle in 8 games.  

How do our DL numbers look compared to last year?  Seems like we are adding a lot of DL from the portal.  Did we lose that many players from the DL or we just choosing to have more depth?

We lost a lot. 

Tevis, Bryant, DMac, Head, Thomas transferred. There might be one or two... but in general. You better have at least 10 DL that you can play. If not more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Everyone talks about our OL, but our DL hasn't been any better and has not provided consistent pressure so we need all the help we can get.

It was interesting watching the game tonight they noted how Georgia with all the talent is rotating multiple beasts in and out on their DL while the same poor OL was in the whole game dealing with a rested version of each DLman constantly.  Makes sense other teams would want to follow the same model if they can get the talent.

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

We lost a lot. 

Tevis, Bryant, DMac, Head, Thomas transferred. There might be one or two... but in general. You better have at least 10 DL that you can play. If not more. 

Did Tevis say he wasn’t coming back?  He came here with two years of eligibility even though he was a grad transfer because he redshirted in 2018 and 2020 doesn’t count. 

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

It was interesting watching the game tonight they noted how Georgia with all the talent is rotating multiple beasts in and out on their DL while the same poor OL was in the whole game dealing with a rested version of each DLman constantly.  Makes sense other teams would want to follow the same model if they can get the talent.

I think you need that on both sides. You have to be able to rotate guys both for rest and situations. The more linemen you have on both sides the better. I do think like others have alluded too, the OL played much better by the end of the year, probably because scheme adjustments and the line started to get in sync. But the DL hasn't brought much pressure the last few years. We need some athletic guys, not just big dudes (who definitely run out of steam). Bull rushing is not going to work if you cannot get anything off the edge. Teams are just going to clog the middle. Then the edge guys are going to go out even wider, opening up more lanes etc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did Tevis say he wasn’t coming back?  He came here with two years of eligibility even though he was a grad transfer because he redshirted in 2018 and 2020 doesn’t count. 

I don't see that he announced he wasn't coming back. He had some good games early then kinda disappeared. Hope he is coming back, he's decent. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

hmm... I thought he only had 1 year left. 

I was wrong... just went and checked. He has another year, for sure. Going through his twitter... he's a Kelley School of Business guy. That's a 2yr program, unless I'm totally off there. That's how long it took my buddy. 

What a smart move by JH lol... go get two years of your masters paid for... will be a Cal grad, IU grad, Kelley school of business grad. Have references from 2 different D1 college football staffs... along with whatever profs he met along the way. Genius. Set yourself up for life, young man! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, DC2345 said:

Both are names to watch that have some smoke behind them.

So,.....any more smoke or potential fire on the horizon with Chance Nolan? I have read on another message board that someone has heard that things are quiet because they are possibly trying to get everything all lined up and worked out before making it official.... I don't know if there is any truth to that, but sound logical. 

19 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

So,.....any more smoke or potential fire on the horizon with Chance Nolan? I have read on another message board that someone has heard that things are quiet because they are possibly trying to get everything all lined up and worked out before making it official.... I don't know if there is any truth to that, but sound logical. 

I also want to know what happened to Chandler Rodgers and Isaac Guerendo. Just because Rodgers didn't visit this past weekend, doesn't mean he still isn't an option. Neither committed anywhere. Not saying they are still considering IU but... why not? I do know Guerendo was in Louisville after coming to Bloomington. IU really doesn't have a ton of RBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Nothing. IU has been trying to keep QB quiet all offseason, so it doesn't surprise me that things have been that way. 

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Nothing. IU has been trying to keep QB quiet all offseason, so it doesn't surprise me that things have been that way. 

Totally understandable. Obviously, when schools are looking for players, they don't want to draw too much attention to an individual because others will "catch wind" and want to "take a peek". Secrecy and being stealth is key to landing some of these players. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Totally understandable. Obviously, when schools are looking for players, they don't want to draw too much attention to an individual because others will "catch wind" and want to "take a peek". Secrecy and being stealth is key to landing some of these players. 

Except for the fact most of these players post their offers on Twitter. It's not in their best interest to keep their offers quiet, so it seems like a catch 22. 

12 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I also want to know what happened to Chandler Rodgers and Isaac Guerendo . Just because Rodgers didn't visit this past weekend, doesn't mean he still isn't an option. Neither committed anywhere. Not saying they are still considering IU but... why not? I do know Guerendo was in Louisville after coming to Bloomington. IU really doesn't have a ton of RBs. 

Guerendo committed to Louisville.