IU Football 2023

btownqb

23 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If Chris on BTB is correct and they offer new coach 7-9 million salary plus major facility upgrades, I would hope they could lure someone decent.

However, I have a feeling Dolson will go after a bigger name or two and get rebuffed and then settle. My gut is thinking Dolson will end up hiring Matt Canada. He just lost his job with Steelers, has the IU connection, and would most likely take the job. It wouldn't be my ideal choice, but I can easily see it happening.

I hope you are not right. Canada just screams like the easiest but far from the best hire. He's basically been fired from every important job he's had. Which leads me to believe he's a good guy and a good interviewer. Can't fall for that. IU connections are important, but we need a good coach. But alas, who wants the job and who can build a staff. If it is indeed Canada or someone like Frye, I hope they can build a good staff. I think that's the most important piece of the puzzle. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I hope you are not right. Canada just screams like the easiest but far from the best hire. He's basically been fired from every important job he's had. Which leads me to believe he's a good guy and a good interviewer. Can't fall for that. IU connections are important, but we need a good coach. But alas, who wants the job and who can build a staff. If it is indeed Canada or someone like Frye, I hope they can build a good staff. I think that's the most important piece of the puzzle. 

I hope I am not right as well. It is just a gut feeling, but I can very easily see it happening.

Staff is definitely going to be important, especially if they bring in someone like Canada/Frye etc. with no head coaching experience. We all watched what happened the last few years at IU once DeBoer left for Washington. If it is true Dolson can spend 7-9 million on head coach, I hope he is spending big on coordinators/assistants as well.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Why on earth would anyone pay Matt Canada $7M.!?  The point isn’t to pay anyone with a pulse a big salary.  It’s to use the money to lure a coach who knows how to run an entire operation with a high degree of competency.  If Canada is what the rumor is out there for big money, that’s the biggest nightmare yet.  

I don’t think there is actually a rumor at all that Canada is an option.  I think people are just talking because Canada was let go.  People are letting their fear get the better of them.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don’t think there is actually a rumor at all that Canada is an option.  I think people are just talking because Canada was let go.  People are letting their fear get the better of them.

Whew.  I just googled it and he’s apparently making $1.5 M for the Steelers and just got fired.   No need to even consider him let alone pay him big $$.  Personally I’m not enthusiastic about focusing on a guy with IU connections.  We don’t need to be provincial about it.  Get the best guy based on a national search. There are a lot of good names out there.   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Interesting.... Coach Allen talks about what he's wanting for next year's team......

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/indiana-iu-hoosiers-football-tom-allen-plan-priorities-offseason-220969217/

CTA just made the case for why he shouldn’t be retained. Why would donors step up big for more of the same?

I like Tom Allen as a guy a lot.  But it doesn’t matter what I say or think.   The 3-23 record is the answer to all questions.  

Regarding money, fans are used to a different  system.  If they feel like paying out the buyout and paying for a new coach and staff plus new facilities, they can do it.   There is a new President who understands all this.  This isn’t McRobbie anymore.  She didn’t hire Tom Allen.  That 3-23 record is sitting in front of her with an expanded B1G coming.   IU can do whatever they want if they have a plan to move on somebody.  

• Like 3

On 11/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

If Chris on BTB is correct and they offer new coach 7-9 million salary plus major facility upgrades, I would hope they could lure someone decent.

However, I have a feeling Dolson will go after a bigger name or two and get rebuffed and then settle. My gut is thinking Dolson will end up hiring Matt Canada. He just lost his job with Steelers, has the IU connection, and would most likely take the job. It wouldn't be my ideal choice, but I can easily see it happening.

They have to at least try.  This is what I have been saying, to compete in the 2024 new BIG they have to show a commitment like they have never given.  I appreciate you all relaying what’s on BTB as I don’t frequent there much.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:04 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Oregon State has been very competitive and they have been left behind by the conference they play in. Wonder if their coach would listen?

On 11/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s an interesting name.  He played at Oregon State too so it’s his alma mater.  They are also paying him well.  The conference issue has to sting though so you never know.  

Looks like he is about to land at Michigan St. 

• Thanks 1

So just my own two cents here.  Some complain that IU won’t spend money for football.  After two great years IU gave a really nice extension to Tom Allen investing in the program.  Yes the buyout might have been a bit much but there was an investment there.  Now they don’t let let a huge buyout prevent them from moving forward.  We will see what comes next but at least right now this does not seem to be IU administration of old when it comes to money and football.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier