IU Football 2023

btownqb

22 hours ago, ledies22 said:

IU seems to have a couples guys a year with some talent, but the subsequent players need to be a bit better to help support. Seems like we have wasted quite a bit of talent at times without enough talented support.

wouldnt be surprised if Lucas is gone after this year.

Hard to blame any player leaving...especially if a school with a more successful program (that would be almost every other school) reached out to the player.

I hope Lucas stays! To be honest I haven’t seen were he’s so dynamic this year! In his defense he has been the opponents main concern. Truth is he hasn’t made much I could see happen! 
Hoping as the offense gets better with Sorsdy passing abilities., he will get  more opportunities to help open up the offense! 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38906329/coaching-buzz-ranking-open-college-football-jobs

Indiana: A buyout of around $20 million for seventh-year coach Tom Allen and the team's recent improved play could be enough to prevent a change in Bloomington. Allen could use a win or two to finish out, though, as Indiana faces two 3-7 teams in Michigan State (home) and Purdue (road). IU has played well the past three weeks, but has only one win to show for it. If the Hoosiers decide to pay Allen's buyout, Toledo coach Jason Candle and others likely would enter the mix for one of the Big Ten's toughest jobs.

I think it backs my point I have been making.  IU needs to spend like they have never spent before.  The toughest job in the BIG isn’t going to do it with more MAC up and comers.  The reporter knows exactly who IU will go after though if they dump CTA.  Have to go for a home run to make any waves in the BIG going forward.  Even that may fail but I don’t see the Toledo head coach moving the needle.

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38906329/coaching-buzz-ranking-open-college-football-jobs

Indiana: A buyout of around $20 million for seventh-year coach Tom Allen and the team's recent improved play could be enough to prevent a change in Bloomington. Allen could use a win or two to finish out, though, as Indiana faces two 3-7 teams in Michigan State (home) and Purdue (road). IU has played well the past three weeks, but has only one win to show for it. If the Hoosiers decide to pay Allen's buyout, Toledo coach Jason Candle and others likely would enter the mix for one of the Big Ten's toughest jobs.

I think it backs my point I have been making.  IU needs to spend like they have never spent before.  The toughest job in the BIG isn’t going to do it with more MAC up and comers.  The reporter knows exactly who IU will go after though if they dump CTA.  Have to go for a home run to make any waves in the BIG going forward.  Even that may fail but I don’t see the Toledo head coach moving the needle.

Jason Candle has never had a losing record and has had the best recruiting class in the MAC for 5 years. U of Miami was trying to hire him as OC. He has a much better resume than TA had when he was hired. 

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Jason Candle has never had a losing record and has had the best recruiting class in the MAC for 5 years. U of Miami was trying to hire him as OC. He has a much better resume than TA had when he was hired. 

Miama wanting to hire him as OC means not the step we need to take IMO.  Maybe if they wanted him as HC.  No more MAC coaches.  Most likely will fail and if he is decent to good he will be gone in a few years.  Pass.

Edited by iuthruandthru

18 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

He was on our staff.  He had coached at Ball State previously, though.

I had forgotten about Bill Mallory, who we hired from Northern Illinois before NIU left the MAC for a while.  So, Bill Mallory and Terry Hoeppner are the two coaches, at least in modern times, that we've hired directly from the MAC.  Hmmmm.

20 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

All I am saying is even a home run hire isn’t a guaranteed improvement to the program.  But a move to a small time school coach is pretty much lowest chance of success.  Like I said the other day can’t keep playing checkers while all our competition is playing chess.

Lance Leopold came from Buffalo and has done an outstanding job at Kansas. If a guy knows how to coach winners, he knows how to coach winners, regardless of the level.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lance Leopold came from Buffalo and has done an outstanding job at Kansas. If a guy knows how to coach winners, he knows how to coach winners, regardless of the level.

This is fair but I think the BIG 12 is easier than the BIG will be next year.  I think increasing the odds with a more proven recruiter that can instantly bring talent in would make me personally feel better.  Hell pay Leopold to come here 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

All I am saying is even a home run hire isn’t a guaranteed improvement to the program.  But a move to a small time school coach is pretty much lowest chance of success.  Like I said the other day can’t keep playing checkers while all our competition is playing chess.

Didn't a lot of top coaches start at a lower level then move up

3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

We have done that enough, time to change it up.  No more unproven coaches or hopeful up and comers.  Time to make IU less of a stepping stone And pay and act like a BIG program worth a damn.

Luke it or not the IU football job is not a destination job. No really good coach will come here because it will be a career suicide. Anyone with a lot of options will not pick IU to coach.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Luke it or not the IU football job is not a destination job. No really good coach will come here because it will be a career suicide. Anyone with a lot of options will not pick IU to coach.

Let’s not rehash this again.  It’s all about if they are going to start paying the money.  They have all the cash with the new contract they just need to spend it.  Not expecting urban but they can find a good power 5 coach and pay him solid money to be committed to the team.  It’s all on what the AD wants to invest.

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

Let’s not rehash this again.  It’s all about if they are going to start paying the money.  They have all the cash with the new contract they just need to spend it.  Not expecting urban but they can find a good power 5 coach and pay him solid money to be committed to the team.  It’s all on what the AD wants to invest.

I am sorry but even if they are willing to pay the big money, those coaches aren't coming here.  Why would another coach from a power 5 program leave their current position to come here.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am sorry but even if they are willing to pay the big money, those coaches aren't coming here.  Why would another coach from a power 5 program leave their current position to come here.

Money talks and a clear commitment to winning.  Lots of coaches still battling to get their full needs met including Lincoln Riley.  No chance we get him just using him as an example of a coach complaining about facilities at USC.  Maybe they don’t get anyone but need to take a chance and make a big offer with a full package.  Why be so pessimistic, I would rather try and fail then at least they gave it a shot at a more proven option.

19 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Miama wanting to hire him as OC means not the step we need to take IMO.  Maybe if they wanted him as HC.  No more MAC coaches.  Most likely will fail and if he is decent to good he will be gone in a few years.  Pass.

I hate when people say this. "If he's good for 2-3 years he'll be gone". Well that's 2-3 years of good football that we aren't used to!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1