IU Football 2023

btownqb

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that we start the season vs OSU and know we will start 0-1 and probably by 35+ points

I understand. But I'd rather the first game be OSU than ISU. Let's see what we've got right off the bat. Staying competitive with a top 5 team might help with confidence and be better preparation for success later in the season. The goal (for us fans) should be to compete and stay healthy. I am anxious to see what we've got. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I understand. But I'd rather the first game be OSU than ISU. Let's see what we've got right off the bat. Staying competitive with a top 5 team might help with confidence and be better preparation for success later in the season. The goal (for us fans) should be to compete and stay healthy. I am anxious to see what we've got. 

fair, but I am more of a pessimist. what if we get pummeled and kills our confidence. I am all for starting the season with easier competition as a warm up game.

However, if we somehow beat OSU game one, that would do way more for the trajectory of the season than any other scenario.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree. OSU is trying to find their cohesiveness,  timing, and replace their qb as well. I've seen them struggle against MAC opponents several times in opening games. We have nothing to lose; they have everything to lose. If any of their players or coaches think "it's just IU", we could land a couple haymakers. I'd rather start with OSU and be the hunter, than have ISU and all of the above statements be reversed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

fair, but I am more of a pessimist. what if we get pummeled and kills our confidence. I am all for starting the season with easier competition as a warm up game.

However, if we somehow beat OSU game one, that would do way more for the trajectory of the season than any other scenario.

Seems like what happens every year the past few seasons, our best players get hurt earlier in the season making it almost impossible to compete later in the season. For IU, it would almost be better to play the non conference schedule at the end of the season. All "kidding" aside, I am usual optimistic the first few games unless we get utterly destroyed, which could happen in this game. But I have ZERO expectations for the OSU game, as a result I am excited to see what happens. It could be more of what we have seen the past couple, but for some reason I think we'll compete. I say this based on the transfers being older and probably hungrier to prove something to themselves and the rest of the team. Staying in this game (and staying healthy) could really, really bolster the team's confidence. Seems early games have a lot more fluky plays in regards to TOs and special teams too. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

On 8/22/2023 at 5:54 PM, OGIUAndy said:

Seems pretty quiet around here considering IUFB starts in less than two weeks. I know people are pessimistic, but if there's any time to have some hope it's before the season starts. Go Hoosiers :) 

After the rising tide of 2019 and 2020, I think 2021 and 2022 took all the wind out of our sails as fans.

I do think the Louisville game will be to 2023 what the Cincinnati game was to 2022. Kind of a bell weather game of how our season will go. We get that one, I will be more optimistic. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

After the rising tide of 2019 and 2020, I think 2021 and 2022 took all the wind out of our sails as fans.

I do think the Louisville game will be to 2023 what the Cincinnati game was to 2022. Kind of a bell weather game of how our season will go. We get that one, I will be more optimistic. 

Very true. I remember the excitement and anticipation of the 2021 season. We had national attention and our fans were committed and prepared for our long awaited rise as a program. That lasted two series against Iowa. Penix's health was obviously a factor,  but I'm not sure we have recovered from that yet as fans. I'll watch and support every game, but unfortunately there aren't enough of us that feel that way without more success on the field.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:41 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

I agree. OSU is trying to find their cohesiveness,  timing, and replace their qb as well. I've seen them struggle against MAC opponents several times in opening games. We have nothing to lose; they have everything to lose. If any of their players or coaches think "it's just IU", we could land a couple haymakers. I'd rather start with OSU and be the hunter, than have ISU and all of the above statements be reversed. 

We also are not worn down with injuries etc early on. You go through a murderers row with Michigan, Oh ST, Penn St etc you are not going to win the war of attrition. Play them when we are healthy works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We also are not worn down with injuries etc early on. You go through a murderers row with Michigan, Oh ST, Penn St etc you are not going to win the war of attrition. Play them when we are healthy works for me.

Excellent point.  Even if our 1's can hang with OSU, their 2's and 3's are barely a drop-off.  We don't have that kind of talent depth. 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:17 AM, Hoosierinbham said:

Very true. I remember the excitement and anticipation of the 2021 season. We had national attention and our fans were committed and prepared for our long awaited rise as a program. That lasted two series against Iowa. Penix's health was obviously a factor,  but I'm not sure we have recovered from that yet as fans. I'll watch and support every game, but unfortunately there aren't enough of us that feel that way without more success on the field.

I understand that. But I assumed the there aren't enough of us that feel that way without more success on the field would be those on these boards. I personally rather talk about an IUFB game against OSU that's a week away than talk about whether an IUBB 2025 recruit has scheduled a visit or not. This first game of any season of any team is always a bit of an unknown regardless of the track record. Let's see if CTA (and the team) can pull some "magic" out of their a**. And by magic, I really just mean some inspired and competitive play. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I understand that. But I assumed the there aren't enough of us that feel that way without more success on the field would be those on these boards. I personally rather talk about an IUFB game against OSU that's a week away than talk about whether an IUBB 2025 recruit has scheduled a visit or not. This first game of any season of any team is always a bit of an unknown regardless of the track record. Let's see if CTA (and the team) can pull some "magic" out of their a**. And by magic, I really just mean some inspired and competitive play. 

I'm with you on wanting to discuss IU football more right now. I actually love both sports, and the hoops recruiting season is heating up this fall. In spite of what my wife may think, my ability to focus on both IU basketball AND football simultaneously is quite impressive:)

Unfortunately,  being an avid IU football fan will always be less popular. The casual fans will join in during successful seasons, but without sustained success,  our numbers won't grow.

Either way, I'll be here cheering and willing to discuss. Ironically,  I get a ton of respect down here for repping IU gear on Friday team days. Go figure. It must be what the passionate bottom feeder SEC fans feel like annually!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:32 PM, HoosierFan997 said:

Saw Allen has chosen a QB, expecting Jackson but don’t know. 

I actually think it is going to be Sorsby to start. I feel like Allen was very high on him and his arm talent last week on the radio.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I actually think it is going to be Sorsby to start. I feel like Allen was very high on him and his arm talent last week on the radio.

No clue on my end but my wife has a good friend that's kind of close to things. They keep hearing Sorsby. 

In terms of game though. With temps near 90 and humidity coming back I expect a ton of substitutions all game long. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue on my end but my wife has a good friend that's kind of close to things. They keep hearing Sorsby. 

In terms of game though. With temps near 90 and humidity coming back I expect a ton of substitutions all game long. 

I fully expect Sorsby to be the starter with Tayven getting playing time as well. 

• Like 3

It’s hard for any of us to judge without seeing anything and with the media being ordered to keep quiet as to what they’ve seen.  I am guessing it will be Sorsby but that both will play early and often.  I like the backs and receivers around the QB so it will come down to the line being solid and Bell managing the game for a freshman QB.   You know defenses are going to sell out on the run and put pressure on a young QB.  Bell will have to navigate all that.

Sorsby is a broad shouldered kid who can throw and will surprise with his ability to run physically.  Allen has always liked him.

The pleasant surprise is that Dexter might be back mid-season. Now, whether that means he will be as electric as he was last season, I can’t say.  He could provide a shot in the arm down the stretch.   

I have watched all the coaches’ press conferences.  I think our defense will have more upside, athleticism, and physicality.  We will never have the depth of an OSU but if we can keep a guy like Andre Carter healthy it will be huge.  Dasan was the one loss who was significant but we made more good additions.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone else hear Don Fischer on with Jim Coyle today?  I need someone to clear up something he said for me. It sounded like he was saying IU had 23 of the top 50 portal players in CFB. Did I hear that right?  I thought surely he meant 23 of our top 50 were portal players. That makes more sense to me, but it sure came across like the former and not the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Did anyone else hear Don Fischer on with Jim Coyle today?  I need someone to clear up something he said for me. It sounded like he was saying IU had 23 of the top 50 portal players in CFB. Did I hear that right?  I thought surely he meant 23 of our top 50 were portal players. That makes more sense to me, but it sure came across like the former and not the latter. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I heard it as being 23 of IU’s top 50 players on the depth chart being out of this year’s portal additions.  Then you add prior year portal guys, e.g., Henderson, Carpenter, Cox, Myles Jackson, Jared Casey et al., and you end up with quite a core of players from the transfer portal.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I heard it as being 23 of IU’s top 50 players on the depth chart being out of this year’s portal additions.  Then you add prior year portal guys, e.g., Henderson, Carpenter, Cox, Myles Jackson, Jared Casey et al., and you end up with quite a core of players from the transfer portal.  

That makes so much more sense to me. I thought I had to have heard that wrong. I can’t cook supper and concentrate on something else at the same time. 

• Like 1

If you’re going to lose to Ohio State either way, get it out of the way early and get a really good test to get your football team going for the rest of the season.   Brings a real urgency to fall camp and to get everything humming.  Maybe you’re better for it than if you lose to them in week 10.  

Hopefully we leave everything out there.  Maybe we dial up some stuff they aren’t ready for, like Josh Henderson running the wildcat, lot more motion to get defenders to commit pre-snap to give a young qb clarity.  On D, our coordinator came from OSU so he knows their personnel etc.  Maybe we dial up some coverages and blitzes they aren’t ready for.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1