IU Football 2023

btownqb

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you would rather watch us lose 49-10 to OSU than beat Northwestern SMH

No…I’d rather us battle it out with them…we’ve given them some good games in the past. I’d rather take 1 win vs OSU than 10 over Northwestern. Northwestern isn’t moving the needle with the program. We moved the needle when we beat Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St…that moves the needle nationally. I get it. It ain’t popular but 7-5 with a win over one of Michigan, Penn St, or OSU would be my dream season….going 7-5 and beating no one in the top 25….zzz fest.

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some of you guys who irrationally hate Allen act like this was a ten win team year after year before he got here.  That’s not going to happen in our lifetimes.   You may get your wish with Allen but it’s not like you’re going to suddenly have the problems solved.  You’ll be bitching about the next guy.  

My issue under Allen is this…we are not going to build a defensive powerhouse at IU that is going to throw waves of defenders and grind out wins over Michigan and Penn St etc. We need to get back to that electric offense and put stress on those teams by putting points on the scoreboard…having an offense that keeps the defense off the field and can score quickly. We’ve had some of those offenses here before. I like Allen’s defense…they typically are opportunistic and can force some turnovers. To me that is the key. Hace an explosive spread passing attack and then a defense that can cause a few turnovers and get us enough possessions to pull the upset. Trying to beat these powerhouse programs at their own game is almost impossible. Even if we lose if we have an exciting offense it will make for entertaining football to watch and we will almost always be in a game. The longer Allen has been here the further we’ve gotten away from that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No…I’d rather us battle it out with them…we’ve given them some good games in the past. I’d rather take 1 win vs OSU than 10 over Northwestern. Northwestern isn’t moving the needle with the program. We moved the needle when we beat Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St…that moves the needle nationally. I get it. It ain’t popular but 7-5 with a win over one of Michigan, Penn St, or OSU would be my dream season….going 7-5 and beating no one in the top 25….zzz fest.

Well it has been since 1988 that we have beaten OSU so I rather play other teams in the league once in awhile.  You know what move the needle winning which hasn't happened much in my 52 years for IU football 

• Like 2

So, let’s take this conversation to the modern day…

Does anyone think that we’ll raise NIL$$$ getting our brains beat out by the elite of the B1G? Money follows winning teams, regardless of the competition. $$$ attracts better talent. Better talent will win more games and then maybe we can beat one of the top tier teams.

The idea that we can beat any of them under the current scenario is ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well it has been since 1988 that we have beaten OSU so I rather play other teams in the league once in awhile.  You know what move the needle winning which hasn't happened much in my 52 years for IU football 

IU had a top 10 football team just a few years back…it was only because of our schedule and the opportunity to knock off quality opponents. You’re not going to make a playoff appearance without getting highly ranked and you’re not getting highly ranked just by beating the Northwestern’s and Marylands. You need opportunities..and likely multiple of them to move the needle in the eyes of the voters. I get it…people want to see us win games…I am just of the opinion that those wins won’t carry much weight unless we beat the big dogs. The best chance to have a signature win is to face multiple of those opponents and to lure top talent to come play for a school that gets them the opportunity to go up against multiple top 10 teams.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IU had a top 10 football team just a few years back…it was only because of our schedule and the opportunity to knock off quality opponents. You’re not going to make a playoff appearance without getting highly ranked and you’re not getting highly ranked just by beating the Northwestern’s and Marylands. You need opportunities..and likely multiple of them to move the needle in the eyes of the voters. I get it…people want to see us win games…I am just of the opinion that those wins won’t carry much weight unless we beat the big dogs. The best chance to have a signature win is to face multiple of those opponents and to lure top talent to come play for a school that gets them the opportunity to go up against multiple top 10 teams.

IU will still have UCLA, Penn St, and Wisconsin on the schedule next year and OSU, Michigan, and USC the next.  There will still be plenty of opportunities to have those move the needle wins.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

IU will still have UCLA, Penn St, and Wisconsin on the schedule next year and OSU, Michigan, and USC the next.  There will still be plenty of opportunities to have those move the needle wins.  

I guess it’s just my favorite games of the year are always PSU, OSU, and Michigan. USC being rotated in certainly doesn’t hurt. I do recognize that. Just wish they were added as a cross division opponent. Could you imagine having a schedule that had our old East opponents plus USC and Nebraska…that would be a hell of a fun season!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

sorry to go off topic, but I'm planning a trip to bloomington next November for the MSU game on Nov. 18th.  Times havent been announced yet.  Does anyone know when they typically pick times for the later season games?

If I remember correctly, it's often (though not always) the week of the game or the week preceding the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

sorry to go off topic, but I'm planning a trip to bloomington next November for the MSU game on Nov. 18th.  Times havent been announced yet.  Does anyone know when they typically pick times for the later season games?

Almost guaranteed a noon/330 kick

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

“Allen's best (former) quarterback (Michael Penix Jr.) is chasing a Heisman Trophy in Washington. Allen's last winning season was during COVID-19. Since then, Indiana is 6-18, its worst two-year run since 2010-11. There have been two -- two! -- Big Ten wins combined since 2021. That is the definition of hot seat, especially with the Big Ten changing before our eyes. IU hasn't finished above 10th in Big Ten total offense since 2019. The Hoosiers need to be entertaining, they need to score and they need to win -- right now. 2022 rating: 2”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2023-hot-seat-rankings-jimbo-fisher-among-seven-college-football-coaches-with-their-jobs-on-the-line/

Edited by 13th&Jackson

On 7/11/2023 at 1:31 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Allen's best (former) quarterback (Michael Penix Jr.) is chasing a Heisman Trophy in Washington. Allen's last winning season was during COVID-19. Since then, Indiana is 6-18, its worst two-year run since 2010-11. There have been two -- two! -- Big Ten wins combined since 2021. That is the definition of hot seat, especially with the Big Ten changing before our eyes. IU hasn't finished above 10th in Big Ten total offense since 2019. The Hoosiers need to be entertaining, they need to score and they need to win -- right now. 2022 rating: 2

I would say this is a do or die season for him. But for some reason, I think IU is going to be better than expected. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 11:09 PM, OGIUAndy said:

I would say this is a do or die season for him. But for some reason, I think IU is going to be better than expected. 

Depends on your definition of do. Is it 500 football? I mean certainly I think if he is only winning 2-3 games he is likely out…and if he wins 6 he is likely safe…so the real question is what happens if we win 4 or 5?? The buyout money is going to play a huge factor if we roll one more year at least imo.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I just looked at the buyout shesh. 20.8 million until after Dec1 2024…then it goes down to 7.95   Id say he is good through this year and next.

I agree with you. And "Do" to me is 5+ wins to be honest. He's definitely not getting canned this year, but if they win less than 5 this and next year, he's gone. Not that that makes his seat super "hot". He got an amazing contract. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree with you. And "Do" to me is 5+ wins to be honest. He's definitely not getting canned this year, but if they win less than 5 this and next year, he's gone. Not that that makes his seat super "hot". He got an amazing contract. 

I was thinking another 1 or 2 win conference record and he would be out but seeing that contract and I think he is safe until end of year next for sure.

That said that is without cause. I’m sure the investigations would begin if we have an absolutely horrible season. They will try to find some dirt to can him for.

Edited by dgambill

• 2 weeks later...

Jay Wilkinson with another $$$$ donation. Football only weight room facility and other improvements coming to IU announced today. Awesome to hear the football only stuff. I know hoops is king but this is a great move to be able to compete for similar programs moving forward.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Jay Wilkinson with another $$$$ donation. Football only weight room facility and other improvements coming to IU announced today. Awesome to hear the football only stuff. I know hoops is king but this is a great move to be able to compete for similar programs moving forward.

Trying to figure out how much dumbbells cost…lol mine were cheap. I mean how much change is needed when it comes to lifting weights? I’m honestly curious. I would think things like state of the art health and recovery, nutrition/cafeterias, dorms and living conditions would be higher importance to kids but that’s just me.