IU Football 2023

btownqb

56 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

With zero expectations, an overhauled roster, and coaching staff (to some degree), it could be a bad season, but not sure how it could be any worse than the past couple. If nothing else we'll really see what CTA's really made of as a head coach. I am anxious to see how both lines are as much as anything. If both are improved, they'll be ok. QB should be fun to watch I think. Both are going to play. 

If we are horrible.......Go Irish!

Dave Revsine was at scrimmage today. People can find his comments on twitter but highlighted the WR corp, transfers we added....but didn't give glowing reviews (or it seemed that way) about either QB.

I swear if we have another season of which guy should play while watching Penix throw for 4k I'm just going to accept that's just the way it goes. 

• Like 1

I like IU football but admittedly don't follow them as close as most of you. I'm a PSU football fan and consider IU my 2nd team. 

With that said, I think what's frustrating is that it seems like Allen has recruited as well as anyone previously has at IU, maybe even better. 

But given the division IU is in, it doesn't really matter. There is no way IU is going to recruit in football to the level of OSU, PSU or Michigan. It's even tough to recruit to fhe level of MSU or Maryland. 

Put IU in the other division and you probably have a pretty consistent bowl team. Once you're a consistent bowl team then it's easier to up the recruiting a level from there. 

There's just no realistic path to that given the division IU is in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like IU football but admittedly don't follow them as close as most of you. I'm a PSU football fan and consider IU my 2nd team. 

With that said, I think what's frustrating is that it seems like Allen has recruited as well as anyone previously has at IU, maybe even better. 

But given the division IU is in, it doesn't really matter. There is no way IU is going to recruit in football to the level of OSU, PSU or Michigan. It's even tough to recruit to fhe level of MSU or Maryland. 

Put IU in the other division and you probably have a pretty consistent bowl team. Once you're a consistent bowl team then it's easier to up the recruiting a level from there. 

Strongly agree with all of this. I would also say stubbornly holding on to Hiller, hiring DeBord as OC, Warren as DC,  and only having Bazelak as an option last year really hampered us. We could add Penix having multiple injuries, but those weren't a choice Allen made.

The cards are stacked against any IU football coach with current divisions, but CTA has definitely contributed with some poor decisions. That being said, I'll still watch every game and hope they can make some noise this year.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly! IU having a top 10 schedule every year is insane…Good thing is it all ends next year 

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think it’d be very interesting to see what IU and Purdue would’ve looked like if they had been flip-flopped in divisions. I know IU’s record against the West isn’t great but I think you can attribute a good amount of that to having to play against the East and getting worn down over the season.  if I had to guess, I’d say they would’ve probably been on par with Purdue the last 4 or 5 years IMO. 

I think one of IU’s biggest challenges in the next few seasons will be in-state recruiting. ND/OSU will always pluck the top guys every year but it feels like your in-state recruiting has dried up a bit at least in terms of guys with multiple P5 offers. And I don’t think that’ll change a ton until/unless Allen can turn things around in the win column IMO. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’d be very interesting to see what IU and Purdue would’ve looked like if they had been flip-flopped in divisions. I know IU’s record against the West isn’t great but I think you can attribute a good amount of that to having to play against the East and getting worn down over the season.  if I had to guess, I’d say they would’ve probably been on par with Purdue the last 4 or 5 years IMO. 

I think one of IU’s biggest challenges in the next few seasons will be in-state recruiting. ND/OSU will always pluck the top guys every year but it feels like your in-state recruiting has dried up a bit at least in terms of guys with multiple P5 offers. And I don’t think that’ll change a ton until/unless Allen can turn things around in the win column IMO. 

Seems like higher Indiana recruits have totally fizzled out once on campus. Just as concerning to me is our Florida pipeline has cooled considerably. I think it's a combination of lack of recent success and lack of player development of those recent recruits. I also think the rah rah and religious stuff gets old quickly if there are no tangible results on the filed or in the draft. Success on the field and in the draft is going to drive recruits more than anything else. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

On 8/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

IU had some really good assistant coaches there for a while.  DeBoer was probably the best coach we have ever had.  Wommack, Hart, etc.  Our coaching the last two years has been pathetic.  We need to pony up some bucks better coaching and the wins and better players will follow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Common Sense said:

IU had some really good assistant coaches there for a while.  DeBoer was probably the best coach we have ever had.  Wommack, Hart, etc.  Our coaching the last two years has been pathetic.  We need to pony up some bucks better coaching and the wins and better players will follow. 

Are there many higher-paid OLCs than Bostad? 

9 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Losing our best assistant coaches over the last few years has been detrimental…I think we may have found ourselves a great O line coach now…not sure how long he stays…Jury still out on the O coordinator and D coordinator…

4 hours ago, Common Sense said:

Yep that’s valid those were solid assistants who left. I feel like it’s always been tough at places like IU and Purdue to keep really good assistants from jumping to bigger opportunities. Just have to hope the drop-off isn’t too steep. When we lost JaMarcus Shepherd to Washington our recruiting and WR play fell off a lot. 

I kept responding yeah that sounds cool, then seeing the proposes prices ummmmm yeah I'm out! lmao

Paying anything north of $100 for a IU football game isn't in my mind unless we are playing for a Big Ten title or a big bowl game or something. But if I had the money, sure the premium options look attractive. I just am very skeptical at anyone wanting to put up that kind of money for premium options given our overall performance on the field. 

Chicken or egg argument, possibly. Idk

Edited by bronkonagurski
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 2:27 AM, bronkonagurski said:

I kept responding yeah that sounds cool, then seeing the proposes prices ummmmm yeah I'm out! lmao

Paying anything north of $100 for a IU football game isn't in my mind unless we are playing for a Big Ten title or a big bowl game or something. But if I had the money, sure the premium options look attractive. I just am very skeptical at anyone wanting to put up that kind of money for premium options given our overall performance on the field. 

Where is all the TV money going if they are still asking fans to poney up more than a $100 to watch a MAC quality product play a B1G schedule.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

This pretty much summed up my thought.  I pretty much said no to everything but the stadium seating, but even then I was like I am not sure this is a cost I want to pay 

• Like 2

I haven't understood IU's football pricing for years now.  It does nothing to encourage people on the fence to go to games.  We are getting ready to move to Tucson, and I'm going to sorely miss IU football and tailgating, so I was looking into what Arizona does with their football tickets.  You can get expensive seats, sure, but you can also get just dirt cheap season tickets.  I want to say you could get a season ticket for $89.

Even Purdue figured out that you need to sell some dirt cheap tickets to get people into the games before you can start raising prices once the team starts winning more.

IU has been doing a lot right in the last several years to try to improve the football program, but this is a very basic thing that they seem to be entirely unwilling to do.

Also, they need to clear the tailgate fields out once the game starts; there's way too much of a culture of never going to the game that we need to break (as well as leaving at halftime).  Let's start by selling the cheap seats that never sell for $5.  Also, no pass outs; you don't need to go back to your tailgate at halftime or during the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Seems pretty quiet around here considering IUFB starts in less than two weeks. I know people are pessimistic, but if there's any time to have some hope it's before the season starts. Go Hoosiers :) 

The problem is that we start the season vs OSU and know we will start 0-1 and probably by 35+ points