IU Football 2023

btownqb

On 8/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, rico said:

Well I just checked us out on Massey.  As of now they are predicting that we go 2-10.  However, in 6 of those losses it is by a TD or less.  

2-10 would mean they lose to everybody in the B1G plus Louisville.   Last year, IU won two conference games.   So he thinks they are worse and that you don’t beat Rutgers or MSU at home, Maryland, Purdue , Illinois, Louisville etc.  None of them.   That’s an impressive prediction to say IU can’t beat anybody after IU won two conference games and has improved in many areas.   He looked at it and said from Rutgers’ point of view, they are going on the road to Bloomington and will beat IU.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

2-10 would mean they lose to everybody in the B1G plus Louisville.   Last year, IU won two conference games.   So he thinks they are worse and that you don’t beat Rutgers or MSU at home, Maryland, Purdue , Illinois, Louisville etc.  None of them.   That’s an impressive prediction to say IU can’t beat anybody after IU won two conference games and has improved in many areas.   He looked at it and said from Rutgers’ point of view, they are going on the road to Bloomington and will beat IU.   

It is an analytics prediction.  It will change.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct 

Agree all day...but the $100M a year to each school says otherwise. Do I have a solution? No. Unless we want to go full on NFL and have Thursday night games what else can they do? Of course the second they do that they'll say TV  is putting kids at risk on short rest. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Correct 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day...but the $100M a year to each school says otherwise. Do I have a solution? No. Unless we want to go full on NFL and have Thursday night games what else can they do? Of course the second they do that they'll say TV  is putting kids at risk on short rest. 

Too bad the message isn’t coming from someone with more clout in the conference 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Correct 

I’d like to know the percentage of people that attend and watch college football that have even been to a high school game in the last 2 years? I bet it’s fewer than people think. First off no one who goes to a high school game is going to miss it for a college game. Im not sure I see the relevancy.
That’s like saying there shouldn’t be weddings on Saturday’s because that is for college football. They can coexist just fine. I never seen anyone get upset because IU basketball had games on nights when high school basketball was going on in Indiana. B1G is getting tons of money to play games when the tv execs want them to. That revenue is what pays his ginormous salary. If he has a problem with it he can go back to coaching HS football. I’m sure there are quite a few IU fans and alum that would prefer that.
That said he may be more right than I give him credit for…I bet there will be HS games with better attendance than IU vs ISU on Friday. We can barely fill a stadium 2/3 against Ohio St…I can’t wait to see the camera cut aways on Friday. I think coach should really focus on putting a better product on the field as the COY and lovable LEO Coach of a few years ago is getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror….if it wasn’t for his guarantees in his salary he would be on thin ice this year.

• Confused 2

I like the Friday night games. Gives a IU a chance to play to a national tv audience. Not much to choose from for sports fans. I know a lot of the recruits are playing but at least they can catch part of the game. I have a feeling the attendance is better for a Friday night game as opposed to a 12:00 Saturday game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's just the principle of it. College games belong on Saturday. 

If you haven't been a part of Friday nights, I'd understand why you don't get it. 

Of course I’ve been a part…as a player and fan…but yes I no longer go because my school doesn’t exist anymore and I now live like 1,000 miles from where I grew up. Just saying most people that are college football fans don’t go to HS games on Friday night.

They do if they have a kid going or when they were in high school themselves. Nobody cries when IU basketball is on same time a HS game is on and basketball is way more popular in Indiana. Football fans will listen to a game on the radio or check in on their phone while they are out and about. No one that wants to go to a HS game will change their mind because there is a college game on at the same time. People go to HS games because they have a tie to it…with a family member typically. They aren’t missing that for a college game…just like they aren’t missing a wedding because it’s on a Saturday in the Fall. It’s a non issue. He is making something out of a nothing burger imo.

Edited by dgambill

18 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

I like the Friday night games. Gives a IU a chance to play to a national tv audience. Not much to choose from for sports fans. I know a lot of the recruits are playing but at least they can catch part of the game. I have a feeling the attendance is better for a Friday night game as opposed to a 12:00 Saturday game.

Agree there….not sure this game in particular given our opponent…but if this exact game was on a Saturday…it wouldn’t be on tv at all likely…or at least not in prime time. It’s visibility and good for IU….if we win.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course I’ve been a part…as a player and fan…but yes I no longer go because my school doesn’t exist anymore and I now live like 1,000 miles from where I grew up. Just saying most people that are college football fans don’t go to HS games on Friday night.

They do if they have a kid going or when they were in high school themselves. Nobody cries when IU basketball is on same time a HS game is on and basketball is way more popular in Indiana. Football fans will listen to a game on the radio or check in on their phone while they are out and about. No one that wants to go to a HS game will change their mind because there is a college game on at the same time. People go to HS games because they have a tie to it…with a family member typically. They aren’t missing that for a college game…just like they aren’t missing a wedding because it’s on a Saturday in the Fall. It’s a non issue. He is making something out of a nothing burger imo.

I mean, that's fine that you have that opinion. 

Edited by btownqb

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean, that's fine that you have that opinion. 

Not to pick a fight…just curious but how does it harm HS football. Is someone really not going to go to a HS game because IU is playing ISU on Friday? I’d like to know the reason(s). I’d imagine the overlap of fans is quite a bit smaller than most think (I know teachers, admin, grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles, lots that go to HS games that don’t watch NFL nor College football)….and those that do watch both…will still attend HS games and at worst stream the college game on their phone or listen to it on the radio while supporting their local HS. Maybe I’m wrong…happens a lot my wife tells me lol.

Edited by dgambill

Just now, dgambill said:

Not to pick a fight…just curious but how does it harm HS football. Is someone really not going to go to a HS game because IU is playing ISU on Friday? I’d like to know the reason(s). I’d imagine the overlap of fans is quite a bit smaller than most think (I know teachers, admin, grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles, lots that go to HS games that don’t watch NFL nor College football….and those that do watch both…will still attend HS games and at worst stream the college game on their phone or listen to it on the radio while supporting their local HS. Maybe I’m wrong…happens a lot my wife tells me lol.

Principle. 

College plays on Saturdays, HS Fridays. It's black and white, there was never a reason to deviate from that plan, and there still isn't. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Principle. 

College plays on Saturdays, HS Fridays. It's black and white, there was never a reason to deviate from that plan, and there still isn't. 

Appreciate it. Maybe my perspective is also skewed…a number of games were typically played on Saturdays as we were a small school and would travel 2-3 hours for 3-4 games a year (or they traveled to our place) so that would not be possible for a Friday night game. Homecoming was also always on a Saturday after the parade…etc…so I guess I didn’t get the memo Friday was only for HS. 

Jumping in here -- hey what's up, hope everyone had a good summer -- I think specifically for Indiana/CTA, the importance of having college games on Saturday is that it allows the HS players to A) have their shine on their own day, and B) allow players to visit Bloomington and see IU in person.

The novelty of being on TV isn't what it used to be (in that most major conference teams' games are televised), so the real differentiation for the Hoosiers is to have recruits physically experience Bloomington & Memorial Stadium, etc.

IU playing on Friday creates a conflict, takes away the opportunity for players/recruits to experience a college game day, and subsequently hurts IU's recruiting to a degree because so many players that would be watching the game live are instead playing themselves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Jumping in here -- hey what's up, hope everyone had a good summer -- I think specifically for Indiana/CTA, the importance of having college games on Saturday is that it allows the HS players to A) have their shine on their own day, and B) allow players to visit Bloomington and see IU in person.

The novelty of being on TV isn't what it used to be (in that most major conference teams' games are televised), so the real differentiation for the Hoosiers is to have recruits physically experience Bloomington & Memorial Stadium, etc.

IU playing on Friday creates a conflict, takes away the opportunity for players/recruits to experience a college game day, and subsequently hurts IU's recruiting to a degree because so many players that would be watching the game live are instead playing themselves.

Great post man. To further your point, it also takes Allen away from attending HS games. 

As a child, I attended "99%" of IU home games from 1998-2010, yes I saw a lot of losing, but absolutely wouldn't trade that time with my dad, uncle, and friends for anything. I learned to love the game during that time. 

I also attended 99% of my HS games during that time, which actually started in more like 1995.

Sorry, the thought of the college game on Fridays is just cringe to me. 

• Like 3

I always love reading and finding positive comments from the opposing teams. There hasn't been much at all over the past few years, I found this one on thehoosier.com. Let's hope it comes true.

This is a quote from an Ohio St. lineman.....

Fryar said all of Ohio State’s offense line issues are correctable. “It’s more of a communication issue than anything… Indiana is going to a bowl game this year easily. They are gonna be a good team, a really good team, actually, with that defense.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I always love reading and finding positive comments from the opposing teams. There hasn't been much at all over the past few years, I found this one on thehoosier.com. Let's hope it comes true.

This is a quote from an Ohio St. lineman.....

Fryar said all of Ohio State’s offense line issues are correctable. “It’s more of a communication issue than anything… Indiana is going to a bowl game this year easily. They are gonna be a good team, a really good team, actually, with that defense.

OSU takes LEO to a new level.   🙄

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

If you were Walt Bell, what would you be wanting to establish in the ISU game. 

Cam Camper and flow on the offense is all I'm looking for tonight. Want to see a lot of pitch and catch and if the score gets out of hand I hope Indiana St doesn't take any offense to us still throwing because we need as many game reps as we can get.

• Like 1