IU Football 2023

btownqb

5 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Money talks and a clear commitment to winning.  Lots of coaches still battling to get their full needs met including Lincoln Riley.  No chance we get him just using him as an example of a coach complaining about facilities at USC.  Maybe they don’t get anyone but need to take a chance and make a big offer with a full package.  Why be so pessimistic, I would rather try and fail then at least they gave it a shot at a more proven option.

Name some candidates that you feel IU should approach.  Just curious who you might like to see leading the program.  And how much should IU be willing to pay?

Edited by jv1972iu

37 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Name some candidates that you feel IU should approach.  Just curious who you might like to see leading the program.  And how much should IU be willing to pay?

I have listed a list quite a few coaches over the last few weeks, but frankly you asked the real question.  What is IU willing to pay and frankly I don’t think they’re committed to spending what they need.

But personally would love to see Utah coach or Kansas coach.  Anyone that is with a program on the rise in power 5 that doesn’t have the money the BIG or SEC has in its TV coffers.  But frankly you just called out the issue above, IU won’t spend so I should just stop preaching about it and keep opining on what could be if they did.

15 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I have listed a list quite a few coaches over the last few weeks, but frankly you asked the real question.  What is IU willing to pay and frankly I don’t think they’re committed to spending what they need.

But personally would love to see Utah coach or Kansas coach.  Anyone that is with a program on the rise in power 5 that doesn’t have the money the BIG or SEC has in its TV coffers.  But frankly you just called out the issue above, IU won’t spend so I should just stop preaching about it and keep opining on what could be if they did.

A serious question why would the Utah coach leave for IU. It is a big step down for him and he has been at Utah for a long time. Also why would the KU coach leave. You said you don't want to hire an up and coming coach from a smaller conference.  That was what KU did with this coach.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oregon State has been very competitive and they have been left behind by the conference they play in. Wonder if their coach would listen?

I brought him up once before on here. I think he would be my number one call. Maybe some of those players don’t want to be in a non power conference either. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

A serious question why would the Utah coach leave for IU. It is a big step down for him and he has been at Utah for a long time. Also why would the KU coach leave. You said you don't want to hire an up and coming coach from a smaller conference.  That was what KU did with this coach.

They both make less than what any BIG ten team could easily pay.  Commitment in salaries, NIL, and facilities could make it happen.  My point it at least try and see.  You say step down but why not take a chance, IU never has.  They probably will say not but push the envelope and see what happens.

I remember hearing once that coach Wilson had said! If he knew how empty the IU roaster was of over all talent he won’t have taken the job. 
I think we are getting in that situation again. We have some players ,but the over all talent isn’t there. 
So my point is what coach wants to walk into that. My guess is an unproven coach trying to move up to the Big Ten level. 
So what’s our choice to stay with CTA one more year or take a chance on another unproven coach and start looking for Moral victories again. 
if we stay with CTA we know will come close ,but not win. If we try someone new we’re looking at 5 or 6 years of trying to figure out if we’re getting better! What do we do ! That’s the 20 million dollar question! 

I can't take some people seriously when they literally just mentioned hiring Kyle Whittingham from Utah? For real? Not a chance in hell would he leave that job for IU. You gotta be crazy to think that. He's been there since the early 2000s. He's got his culture built there, he's got a roster full of talent, numerous NFL guys on his roster. At least come up with someone more realistic than that. Lmao.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I can't take some people seriously when they literally just mentioned hiring Kyle Whittingham from Utah? For real? Not a chance in hell would he leave that job for IU. You gotta be crazy to think that. He's been there since the early 2000s. He's got his culture built there, he's got a roster full of talent, numerous NFL guys on his roster. At least come up with someone more realistic than that. Lmao.

Never said he would come, said that’s what IU needs to do to compete in the BIG.  Time to spend that money from the BIg or get left behind.  IU will keep doing what they do and hire a no name probably but feel free to spin what I say to get likes.

Tried to setup a poll but didn’t seem to work.  Ignore who would be coach, though can’t ignore the buyout, curious how many think Allen is fired after the bucket game?  I feel like it’s a 1/3 chance, as much as I think a change needs to be made.  Might change if it’s not a competitive Bucket game, but maybe to 50% at most.

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

Tried to setup a poll but didn’t seem to work.  Ignore who would be coach, though can’t ignore the buyout, curious how many think Allen is fired after the bucket game?  I feel like it’s a 1/3 chance, as much as I think a change needs to be made.  Might change if it’s not a competitive Bucket game, but maybe to 50% at most.

I say no he won't be fired

29 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Chris on the other site says I think it will happen by this time next Monday.

Not trying to stir the pot any more than it already has been, but he's been pretty accurate when it comes to coaching stuff.

He could be right but he said Stevens was a done deal as well. Also I don't buy that IU will pony up 7-9 mill a year for a coach especially after buying a coach out for 20 mil

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He could be right but he said Stevens was a done deal as well. Also I don't buy that IU will pony up 7-9 mill a year for a coach especially after buying a coach out for 20 mil

Here is my question, not necessarily for you just using your post as a jumping off point, how much money would IU lose by retaining him?  I’m talking loss of revenue from ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc from the further and deeper apathy that would likely set in. 

They had a football mini series ticket package available for the first time to my knowledge this year. I considered buying it, but we had too much going on with family stuff to make the games. I don’t know what our fall will look like next year, but I will take a pass if Allen is still the coach. I think he is a wonderful man, but it’s just not working. How many other folks take a pass on tickets and all that comes with that if he is back?

I really don’t know the answer to my original question, but I do think that is something to consider when we talk about if we can afford they buy out or not. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Here is my question, not necessarily for you just using your post as a jumping off point, how much money would IU lose by retaining him?  I’m talking loss of revenue from ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc from the further and deeper apathy that would likely set in. 

They had a football mini series ticket package available for the first time to my knowledge this year. I considered buying it, but we had too much going on with family stuff to make the games. I don’t know what our fall will look like next year, but I will take a pass if Allen is still the coach. I think he is a wonderful man, but it’s just not working. How many other folks take a pass on tickets and all that comes with that if he is back?

I really don’t know the answer to my original question, but I do think that is something to consider when we talk about if we can afford they buy out or not. 

Not saying he shouldn't be fired but I don't believe even if we do we would pay 7-9 mil a year for a coach.

Also we will always be behind most Big Ten programs when it comes to game day revenue. When UM makes more from one game than we do for the whole season we are at a disadvantage. So it is harder for us to make mistakes when it comes to blowing money because we can't make it up.

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

TOS post also mentioned that facilities upgrade is in the works but will not be announced until CTA is gone. If any of this is true, then I don't think IU is worried about the $$. I still find it hard to believe they will pay like the 3rd or 4th highest buyout ever, but I guess we'll know soon enough. 

If Chris on BTB is correct and they offer new coach 7-9 million salary plus major facility upgrades, I would hope they could lure someone decent.

However, I have a feeling Dolson will go after a bigger name or two and get rebuffed and then settle. My gut is thinking Dolson will end up hiring Matt Canada. He just lost his job with Steelers, has the IU connection, and would most likely take the job. It wouldn't be my ideal choice, but I can easily see it happening.