IU Football 2023

btownqb

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Lawrence and Ajani are pretty 2 really solid pickups for the OLine. Love to see us getting the line shored up as much as possible.

If you just look at the other offers it makes me fear we are getting back to the Lynch years. We are beating out MAC teams for these two OL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The facilities and resources are much better than when Lynch was coaching, yet here we are

I just think Allen is in a tough spot right now. You’re coming off two tough seasons and other coaching staffs can use that against him. And it doesn’t help that Purdue has a young/energetic staff that’s hit the ground running in-state either. 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I just think Allen is in a tough spot right now. You’re coming off two tough seasons and other coaching staffs can use that against him. And it doesn’t help that Purdue has a young/energetic staff that’s hit the ground running in-state either. 

Plus now we don’t get to play Michigan, Ohio St, Penn st annually. What’s the point of going to IU to play football if you don’t get to play those guys and put film on tape for scouts. Can go to any middling program to play the Minnesotas, Northwesterns, and Marylands of the world. Seriously…what differentiates IU football from Purdue and Illinois now. We no longer have the schedule advantage.

Edited by dgambill

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Plus now we don’t get to play Michigan, Ohio St, Penn st annually. What’s the point of going to IU to play football if you don’t get to play those guys and put film on tape for scouts. Can go to any middling program to play the Minnesotas, Northwesterns, and Marylands of the world. Seriously…what differentiates IU football from Purdue and Illinois now. We no longer have the schedule advantage.

This is tongue in cheek, right? IU's record against:

OSU:  12-78-5, lost 27 straight

MI: 10-61

PSU: 2-24

Combined record against those three: 24-163-5. Being in the B1G East, in any given year, there was an 87% likelihood of at least three conference losses before the season began. 

How do you build momentum and recruit against that?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is tongue in cheek, right? IU's record against:

OSU:  12-78-5, lost 27 straight

MI: 10-61

PSU: 2-24

Combined record against those three: 24-163-5. Being in the B1G East, in any given year, there was an 87% likelihood of at least three conference losses before the season began. 

One could argue that IU (and perhaps Maryland and Rutgers) will benefit the most under the new, division-less format. Now we have a puncher's chance on any given year -- as so many different B1G West programs have had in the past -- to put together something special and build momentum because we don't have to go through a gauntlet every single season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

We still can put up good film against anybody in the B1G...doesn't have to be OSU, and UM.  This is much better for us from a competitive balance standpoint.  The old system was asinine.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We still can put up good film against anybody in the B1G...doesn't have to be OSU, and UM.  This is much better for us from a competitive balance standpoint.  The old system was asinine.  

Exactly.  I absolutely see the point of having the big boys for game tape, but starting the year 0-3 leaves a very small window for making a bowl game when the B1G plays 9 conference games. Sitting at home during bowl season doesn't help recruiting or team development. 

Give me any 2 of OSU, Michigan,  PSU, USC, UCLA, and Wisky(with Luke Fickell). Add in the other teams, and we have a very reputable, yet manageable, schedule. It's not just playing the Big 3 every season, it's the toll it takes on the team for the rest of the season. You can't just get up for one marquee game per year like the West.

• Like 2

As for the season, we are having quite a bit of turnover and we, of course, have a very tough schedule.  Making a bowl may be a tough ask.  We are playing a redshirt freshman at QB.  That's a huge adjustment at this level.  

What I'd like to see is developing QB play and an improving unit at O-line.   On D, the front seven got more athletic.  There may be some unproven guys, but there is more physical ability.  You might see more big plays.  You may get a lot better physically but be developing a young QB.  The record might not improve but that might mask that we are on a good trajectory from 2 to 4 to 5 wins or something like that.  

I think the key thing here is seeing progress this year toward hopefully solid success in '24 and beyond.  If you're hoping for 8-4, you're not looking at where we are in our trajectory.  A high number of new players, inexperienced QB, tough schedule.

If we get development and competent play, then we are getting on the right trajectory.

To me, the idea that Allen doesn't know what he is doing, or comparing him with Lynch, is way off base.  No comparison.  Allen has brought more success than IU has seen in 30 years.  Three decades.  He has made mistakes, sure, with some of his assistants, but he has a plan and he doesn't back down from a challenge.  He recruits well and resonates with recruits.  

Now, will Allen survive past the next year or two?  I have no idea.  I think he gets to '24 unless we totally look incompetent this year and act as if we are not progressing.  At that point, we can see how we play.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:34 AM, MoyeCowbell said:

One could argue that IU (and perhaps Maryland and Rutgers) will benefit the most under the new, division-less format. Now we have a puncher's chance on any given year -- as so many different B1G West programs have had in the past -- to put together something special and build momentum because we don't have to go through a gauntlet every single season.

I know my opinion isn’t popular but if we aren’t playing those guys we are irrelevant. The only thing that differentiate us from say an Illinois was our schedule. Im not a fan of the change. For me to want to tune in I want to see premier competition. There is too much good football on Saturdays to watch IU if we are playing another bottom tier program. 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:12 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Exactly.  I absolutely see the point of having the big boys for game tape, but starting the year 0-3 leaves a very small window for making a bowl game when the B1G plays 9 conference games. Sitting at home during bowl season doesn't help recruiting or team development. 

Give me any 2 of OSU, Michigan,  PSU, USC, UCLA, and Wisky(with Luke Fickell). Add in the other teams, and we have a very reputable, yet manageable, schedule. It's not just playing the Big 3 every season, it's the toll it takes on the team for the rest of the season. You can't just get up for one marquee game per year like the West.

What I heard was with the expanded playoffs that they would expand the bowl games to teams that are below 500. Seems making a bowl game will basically be if the program wants to play or not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I heard was with the expanded playoffs that they would expand the bowl games to teams that are below 500. Seems making a bowl game will basically be if the program wants to play or not.

Interesting.  That definitely impacts teams like IU with the most challenging schedules.  Our program would benefit from the additional practice,  and it's always a great  reward for our loyal fans. Appreciate the info.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Interesting.  That definitely impacts teams like IU with the most challenging schedules.  Our program would benefit from the additional practice,  and it's always a great  reward for our loyal fans. Appreciate the info.

Well it’s nothing set in stone obviously but with all the additional teams in the playoffs and the word that the bowl games weren’t going anywhere anytime soon it would makes sense that there would be 8-10 additional bowl games that would need filled and we already was having a hard time getting enough teams with winning  records. They just said it would make sense to invite additional teams.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

To me, the idea that Allen doesn't know what he is doing, or comparing him with Lynch, is way off base.  No comparison.  Allen has brought more success than IU has seen in 30 years.  Three decades.  He has made mistakes, sure, with some of his assistants, but he has a plan and he doesn't back down from a challenge.  He recruits well and resonates with recruits.  

Now, will Allen survive past the next year or two?  I have no idea.  I think he gets to '24 unless we totally look incompetent this year and act as if we are not progressing.  At that point, we can see how we play.  

When DeBoer and Wommack were here, color commentators were always pointing out how sophisticated IUs schemes were for a college team. We don’t hear that any more. Allen is a motivator, but it’s clear to me that DeBoer and Wommack were the Xs and Os guys. 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

When DeBoer and Wommack were here, color commentators were always pointing out how sophisticated IUs schemes were for a college team. We don’t hear that any more. Allen is a motivator, but it’s clear to me that DeBoer and Wommack were the Xs and Os guys. 

I’m sorry, you’re a good poster but that is ridiculous as to defense.  We all get it, you detest Allen but you aren’t being objective.  Look at a team’s defense before and after Allen got there over his career.  He presided over major turnarounds.  Wommack is a promising young coach but he was learning under Allen.  The fact that he was the mastermind is not a valid opinion. It’s just false. Allen has a very good defensive mind and he knows what he wants on offense too although he’s not the play caller on offense.  Wommack was a young coach learning under him. That’s just a fact.  Not an opinion.  

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Surprised the bowl games wouldn’t be used as playoff games

Well the first round is home games and there is definitely stuff to work out but a lot of talking heads mentioned the need to fill up these additional bowl games but who knows 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I know my opinion isn’t popular but if we aren’t playing those guys we are irrelevant. The only thing that differentiate us from say an Illinois was our schedule. Im not a fan of the change. For me to want to tune in I want to see premier competition. There is too much good football on Saturdays to watch IU if we are playing another bottom tier program. 

So you would rather watch us lose 49-10 to OSU than beat Northwestern SMH

• Like 1

Some of you guys who irrationally hate Allen act like this was a ten win team year after year before he got here.  That’s not going to happen in our lifetimes.   You may get your wish with Allen but it’s not like you’re going to suddenly have the problems solved.  You’ll be bitching about the next guy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m sorry, you’re a good poster but that is ridiculous as to defense.  We all get it, you detest Allen but you aren’t being objective.  Look at a team’s defense before and after Allen got there over his career.  He presided over major turnarounds.  Wommack is a promising young coach but he was learning under Allen.  The fact that he was the mastermind is not a valid opinion. It’s just false. Allen has a very good defensive mind and he knows what he wants on offense too although he’s not the play caller on offense.  Wommack was a young coach learning under him. That’s just a fact.  Not an opinion.  

No I don’t detest Allen. And you make a good point. I think he is a good defensive coordinator and he clearly improved defenses every where he’s been. But I also believe the defensive schemes became more advanced under Wommack. That said, I believe Allen is more suited to be a D coordinator than a head coach. That’s true of a lot of coaches. For a variety of reasons, the program has fallen off the table since DeBoer and Wommack left. Allen has struggled with how much to be involved with the defense versus step back and be a head coach. Although on paper recruiting has improved, the past couple of seasons this team hasn’t had the impact players of a few seasons ago.