IU Football 2023

btownqb

….Allen not disclosing a starting QB is no great shocker. That seems to be his constant element of surprise. My gut feeling is it will be Jackson starting with Sorsby sprinkled in here and there. What I am hopeful for, is an improved OL with the addition of Coach Bostad. This can only help incoming Jackson or Sorsby look a little better. I really wished that Jackson had a better track record with running or scrambling with his feat. This is where Sorsby is supposedly better. I guess we will all see in September.

Go IU!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Jay Wilkinson with another $$$$ donation. Football only weight room facility and other improvements coming to IU announced today. Awesome to hear the football only stuff. I know hoops is king but this is a great move to be able to compete for similar programs moving forward.

Great news.  What's Wilkinson's background (business) and connection to IU?  I googled the name and didn't find much.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Trying to figure out how much dumbbells cost…lol mine were cheap. I mean how much change is needed when it comes to lifting weights? I’m honestly curious. I would think things like state of the art health and recovery, nutrition/cafeterias, dorms and living conditions would be higher importance to kids but that’s just me. 

I don't think it is so much the weights themselves but getting them a football only space.  Hopefully they make it cushy with all the bells and whistles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

….Allen not disclosing a starting QB is no great shocker. That seems to be his constant element of surprise. My gut feeling is it will be Jackson starting with Sorsby sprinkled in here and there. What I am hopeful for, is an improved OL with the addition of Coach Bostad. This can only help incoming Jackson or Sorsby look a little better. I really wished that Jackson had a better track record with running or scrambling with his feat. This is where Sorsby is supposedly better. I guess we will all see in September.

Go IU!

I have a feeling they are both going to play.  We all know about Tayven and I have heard Sorsby is a big, strong kid, with a rocket launcher and who can run.  Sounds like a Josh Allen "type" (in no way am I comparing him to an NFL all pro).  

The question for both will be reading defenses, learning the speed of the game, composure, consistency etc.  A lot yet to be determined.  I see it as a developmental year.  No getting around it, IMO.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great news.  What's Wilkinson's background (business) and connection to IU?  I googled the name and didn't find much.

IIRC he owned a staffing agency way back when and has been doing venture capital stuff ever since. Don't quote me on that though. He and his wife have given millions to IU over the years and I bet more is on the way.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, Seeking6 said:

Jay Wilkinson with another $$$$ donation. Football only weight room facility and other improvements coming to IU announced today. Awesome to hear the football only stuff. I know hoops is king but this is a great move to be able to compete for similar programs moving forward.

Is it going to be a separate building or just adding equipment and such to existing weight room? Couldn’t tell from reading the information. 

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have a feeling they are both going to play.  We all know about Tayven and I have heard Sorsby is a big, strong kid, with a rocket launcher and who can run.  Sounds like a Josh Allen "type" (in no way am I comparing him to an NFL all pro).  

The question for both will be reading defenses, learning the speed of the game, composure, consistency etc.  A lot yet to be determined.  I see it as a developmental year.  No getting around it, IMO.

Yep. That’s where I’m at. I think they both will play early on until someone separates from the other. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-rankings/

IU #86 with a bullet.😝

Only B1G team we are rated higher than is Northwestern.

Gonna be a long season

Yeah, not buying it. We'll have a better season than people are predicting. Nobody really knows what kind of team IU has because of all the unknowns especially at QB. So I get the ranking, but I am betting we have a much better season than what everyone is saying. Getting OSU out of the way will help too as long there are no major injuries. 

• Like 2

All I ask is Allen play the right guys…continuing to let Shivers be lead back over Henderson last year was hard to watch…that and not getting Lucas the ball last year…I didn’t watch last 3 games. Couldn’t take it anymore…I understand not beating Michigan, Penn State, and OSU..at least play the right guys and put em in right spots is all i ask for someone getting paid millions…loved Allen for first 5 years…he disappointed me last year…that and allowing Hiller to be on staff WAY to long. Hurt momentum of program we had built...hopefully we get things back on track this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

All I ask is Allen play the right guys…continuing to let Shivers be lead back over Henderson last year was hard to watch…that and not getting Lucas the ball last year…I didn’t watch last 3 games. Couldn’t take it anymore…I understand not beating Michigan, Penn State, and OSU..at least play the right guys and put em in right spots is all i ask for someone getting paid millions…loved Allen for first 5 years…he disappointed me last year…that and allowing Hiller to be on staff WAY to long. Hurt momentum of program we had built...hopefully we get things back on track this year. 

I will be very surprised if we don’t run a lot.  I expect that Henderson will pound the rock and there will be a priority on getting Lucas the ball.  Take pressure off freshman QB’s.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I will be very surprised if we don’t run a lot.  I expect that Henderson will pound the rock and there will be a priority on getting Lucas the ball.  Take pressure off freshman QB’s.  

We will run a lot from various positions (RB, QB, WR). I think the RB room is the best thing we have going with Henderson and Turner. I agree though, Allen has to play the right guys. No excuses and don't play favorites. This wasn't just an issue last season, he used to play his son way too much. He definitely has favorites and it's amateurish at best. 

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-rankings/

IU #86 with a bullet.😝

Only B1G team we are rated higher than is Northwestern.

Gonna be a long season

There’s absolutely no credible way to preseason rank this team. Way too many newcomers on the 2 deep to know what this team can/can’t do. Not saying you’re wrong but we’ll soon find out. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 10:55 AM, HoosierFan997 said:

Anyone heard any rumors re: Tayven Jackson vs Sorsby? Curious who has the edge 

No clue. Things are being held pretty tight. I know one person who seems or appears to know a few close to the program and Sorsby is who he's saying....but I can't imagine Jackson not getting the initial nod.

17 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I am really struggling to muster any enthusiasm or excitement for the coming season. Looking at the schedule, my feeling is 4-8. Hope to be wrong! 

Unfortunately, I feel we would be lucky to win 4 games. I can only see 3 wins max and our win total on DK is only 3.5 :( 

https://www.journalgazette.net/sports/colleges/iu/indiana-offensive-line-ready-to-wipe-away-struggles/article_28da85f8-36fd-11ee-8b42-6f2deee2e5f0.html

Hopefully the new O-line coach can bring more accountability and better play out of this group. From some of the comments, it almost seems as if the poor play was in part due to a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:08 PM, rico said:

In my long and storied fandom of IU football this could be the toughest(most misery filled) season I have had in quite a while.  Or it could be the greatest.

With zero expectations, an overhauled roster, and coaching staff (to some degree), it could be a bad season, but not sure how it could be any worse than the past couple. If nothing else we'll see what CTA's really made of as a head coach. I am anxious to see how both lines are as much as anything. If both are improved, they'll be ok. QB should be fun to watch I think. Both will play. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1