MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not trying to start that whole debate again, but none of Thompson, JG or Reneau play the same position/role as Kopp. None of them are going to take minutes from him. 

What exactly does Kopp do on either end of the floor that Bates and Galloway can’t? Kopp was getting so abused by Hauser early that Gallo/Geronimo had to cover him the rest of the game.
Just because those two are more comfortable at the 2 doesn’t mean they can’t or shouldn’t play the 3. The bigger issue with starting Galloway is that there’s no one off the bench to spell JHS until XJ gets back. This rotation would be much better on both ends of the court with TJD; Malik/Geronimo; Bates; Galloway & JHS. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Like Loyer and Smith?

I know we don't face our comrades to the Nort for a couple weeks but I'm really anxious to see how good they are vs guys like JHS and TG handling the ball. I like both Loyer and Smith. Good ballers but I just don't think it translates vs bigger guards and especially without the help of 8'10 wrecking machine in the middle. Time will tell.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know we don't face our comrades to the Nort for a couple weeks but I'm really anxious to see how good they are vs guys like JHS and TG handling the ball. I like both Loyer and Smith. Good ballers but I just don't think it translates vs bigger guards and especially without the help of 8'10 wrecking machine in the middle. Time will tell.

Would like to think our guys have not only a height/length advantage, but also a strength one. Continue to pressure them, make them work on defense and wear them down 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is shockingly wrong. 

What does “this is shockingly wrong” or “couldn’t disagree with this more” bring to the discussion besides portraying the notion that you know more than someone else?

Come with retorts or perhaps don’t post at all. Posts like these are what derail threads and get people heated/talking sh*t for no reason. It’s ok to express a differing opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

What does “this is shockingly wrong” or “couldn’t disagree with this more” bring to the discussion besides portraying the notion that you know more than someone else?

Come with retorts or perhaps don’t post at all. Posts like these are what derail threads and get people heated/talking sh*t for no reason. It’s ok to express a differing opinion. 

First, you realize you are responding to one of the mods, right?

Second, you realize that BGleas is one of the most respected posters here.

Third, you know that Gleas played college basketball and knows more basketball than 98% of the people here.

And finally, you must have missed where he apologized for his post. And the other guy respectfully accepted it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would love to see us post JHS against smaller guards. 

In the right setting, with the right set of circumstances. This could be totally awesome.

TJD hasn't shown a shot yet, but he has shown some dribble drive now.

Tell me what coach that has planned against a totally inverted IU offense. 

Tactics baby, tactics!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Got the other side all along....

Just thought the reasoning was BS...

🙂

If I criticized Woody I’m going to give credit, when credit is due. He turned this team around when I didn’t think he’d be able to this quickly.

I still do stand by my original opinion about the coaching in that 3 losing streak and even in the wins in late December. 

But in my defense he’s making adjustments now that he seemed a little to stubborn to do in the past. A timeout in the first 2 minutes of the IL game. Recognizing EARLY that Houser was eating JG alive and making the proper substitution. Putting more ball pressure on the perimeter. Etc.

We’re seeing a new team this last week. And we’re seeing a new Woody. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If I criticized Woody I’m going to give credit, when credit is due. He turned this team around when I didn’t think he’d be able to this quickly.

I still do stand by my original opinion about the coaching in that 3 losing streak and even in the wins in late December. 

But in my defense he’s making adjustments now that he seemed a little to stubborn to do in the past. A timeout in the first 2 minutes of the IL game. Recognizing EARLY that Houser was eating JG alive and making the proper substitution. Putting more ball pressure on the perimeter. Etc.

"but in my defense" is usually code words for "I was a richard".

Not saying I agree or not, but that is how those words are received.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You are correct. My comment to IndyKev was not a productive one. But, you must have missed where I directly apologized for that comment, and you must have also missed my numerous retorts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"This is where Michigan State really missed Malik Hall, as he's the Spartans' best front-court defender and would have physically matched up with Jackson-Davis better than anyone MSU had available today."

😂😂😂😂😂

Awesome. Now, maybe they can show how we missed XJ, especially during the part of the game where we had Gallo and Bates as our primary ball handlers. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

What exactly does Kopp do on either end of the floor that Bates and Galloway can’t? Kopp was getting so abused by Hauser early that Gallo/Geronimo had to cover him the rest of the game.
Just because those two are more comfortable at the 2 doesn’t mean they can’t or shouldn’t play the 3. The bigger issue with starting Galloway is that there’s no one off the bench to spell JHS until XJ gets back. This rotation would be much better on both ends of the court with TJD; Malik/Geronimo; Bates; Galloway & JHS. 

Do you know which one Hauser was? 

Kopp didnt guard him once. Certainly didnt guard him early. I don't think TG ever guarded him. 

Malik did though, and guarded him well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Uh, Kopp wasn't guarding Hauser early. It was JG that was getting abused by Hauser. 

It was then Reneau that came in and slowed Hauser down. Not Galloway or Geronimo. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Disagree... A lot... But that's ok...

Since the day Mike Woodson took this job, he's said the same things, done the same things, preached the same things... He's about as steady as they come...

There's no "new Woody" and there never will be...

He said it in the post game... Kids had to accept new roles, and mentally it took a minute...

You know I appreciate you a lot, but Woody's the same guy today he was 2 years ago... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Third, you know that Gleas played college basketball and knows more basketball than 98% of the people here.

And finally, you must have missed where he apologized for his post. And the other guy respectfully accepted it 

…cool

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Appreciate the kind words! It means a lot from a longtime, respected poster like you. 

Hoosier82 is right that I shouldn't have replied that to IndyKev. But as you noted, I wish he would have read more to see my apology before coming at me. 

47 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Is this a joke?  

The very first play of the game Hauser blew by Geronimo for a bucket.  

Galloway never started a possession on Hauser.  Maybe got switched on him but not intentionally. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I disagree and he has had to bail out JG a lot because JG can’t defend so Woodson has had to use Kopp as the guy to switch defenders with JG. We mostly lost in Iowa because JG got DESTROYEDDD by Murray after Race went down. Today Houser destroyed JG again because JG gets caught ball watching and can’t multi task by watching his defender as well.

Never said he wasn't a better defender than Geronimo.