Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

He was 1-14.  At a certain point you have to realize you don't have it.  The difference between he and Galloway/Bates is that the other two weren't throwing up junk all night.  JHS could be our alpha next year, but he isn't this year.  I see about 6 missed opportunities in that stat to get the ball to TJD.

Yeah, he has to convert, but he wasn't.  So at a certain point those shots he was putting up were basically turnovers.

That being said, more than any game this year, the officiating was such a huge impact on the outcome IMO that it is hard to truly judge how much he hurt us last night.

I didnt see any junk.  He took good shots and missed them. If we played them again, I hope JHS gets the exact same looks. 

The difference between Bates/TG and JHS is one of them is an NBA guard. 

6 more opportunities? What? Our alpha? 

Jalen took good shots. Just missed them.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

marytfs.jpg

Call it whining, bias, whatever, but I look at that chart and well, it is hard not to draw the most obvious conclusion from it.

Oh I'm not against that argument,  the refs were awful.  It just wasn't because Coach Woodson is new and from the the NBA and doesn't have the relationship built like the other coaches have.  Maryland is annoying as he'll, their fans suck, and the coach is brand new.  The refs need to be professional and call an even game.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didnt see any junk.  He took good shots and missed them. If we played them again, I hope JHS gets the exact same looks. 

He took 6 shots that we should have worked more to get to TJD.  The best player on the team (Alpha) and our most consistent player.

Jalen is a good player and he may be an NBA guard at some point in the future but he was 1-14 last night.  I completely disagree that he needed to "keep shooting" last night.  He couldn't hit anything.  At that point we needed our NBA guard to get the ball to people who were scoring.  He is a freshman, so some slack, but he made bad decisions last night and some of those bad decisions were involved in putting up more shots than any other player on the team and only hitting one of them.

When he forces shots he takes shots away from our clear #1 option.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Tamar Bates= 100% a basketball play ... called for a flagrant? 

Donta Smith= slaps MK who is behind him and the opposite way Smith is going? No call 

👍👍👍👍

absolutely agree with this. Hummel said of Bates, "he's got to go for the ball." if you watch the replay, he gets his hand on the ball.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He took 6 shots that we should have worked more to get to TJD.  The best player on the team (Alpha) and our most consistent player.

Jalen is a good player and he may be an NBA guard at some point in the future but he was 1-14 last night.  I completely disagree that he needed to "keep shooting" last night.  He couldn't hit anything.  At that point we needed our NBA guard to get the ball to people who were scoring.  He is a freshman, so some slack, but he made bad decisions last night and some of those bad decisions were involved in putting up more shots than any other player on the team and only hitting one of them.

When he forces shots he takes shots away from our clear #1 option.

How do you know it was 6? 

I didnt say he needed to keep shooting. He didn't force anything though, or very little. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Donta Smith= slaps MK who is behind him and the opposite way Smith is going? No call 

👍👍👍👍

The officiating is bad.  Terrible bad.  It is going to hurt the entire league on Selection Sunday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In the last 10 minutes Jalen had a runner that he switched hands mid shot.   He forced at least one other that clearly wasn't there during that time.  Things just weren't clicking.  The team did a lot of standing and the ball wasn't move fast, at all.  I thought Jalen actually passed up some open threes.

We can pile on about Trayce's turnovers in the post too.  No one played great.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

👍👍👍👍

Was about to bring up that, plus we got called for a double dribble and a travel that absolutely were not good calls that took away a bucket and a probably bucket. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

In the last 10 minutes Jalen had a runner that he switched hands mid shot.   He forced at least one other that clearly wasn't there during that time.  Things just weren't clicking.  The team did a lot of standing and the ball wasn't move fast, at all.  I thought Jalen actually passed up some open threes.

Trayce had 2 turnovers… it wasn’t his best game by any stretch but he’s probably not the one to pile on. If his off game is 18/20 then someone else has to step up. 

• Like 3

Just now, btownqb said:

How do you know it was 6? 

I didnt say he needed to keep shooting. He didn't force anything though, or very little. 

I pulled the 6 out of my ass.  I wasn't counting throughout the game but there were several shots he put up where I just felt...ugh.  on a normal night maybe they were a good shot, but after a certain point last night they weren't.  I am not one of those "shooters need to keep shooting" guys.  I think if you are 0-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, etc. that at a certain point you have to decide you are giving up way to much to get that elusive 2-1X.

So the 6 was about half his shots.  Bates was 1-5 and Galloway was 2-4.  About 1-7 or 1-8 is where I feel JHS should have started deferring more.  Instead he put up 6 or 7 more and missed them all.  And almost every miss went right back to Maryland.

marybox.jpg

Everybody was a better option shooting than JHS last night and he took more shots than anyone.  I think he is a good player and has a bright future, I just think he had a Freshman-like really bad decision game last night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That was a good shot and just a silly decision on his part. I'm not saying he was perfect.. but basically every shot he took last night, our team needs him to take. Especially with the way Maryland defended TJD. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I pulled the 6 out of my ass.  I wasn't counting throughout the game but there were several shots he put up where I just felt...ugh.  on a normal night maybe they were a good shot, but after a certain point last night they weren't.  I am not one of those "shooters need to keep shooting" guys.  I think if you are 0-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, etc. that at a certain point you have to decide you are giving up way to much to get that elusive 2-1X.

So the 6 was about half his shots.  Bates was 1-5 and Galloway was 2-4.  About 1-7 or 1-8 is where I feel JHS should have started deferring more.  Instead he put up 6 or 7 more and missed them all.  And almost every miss went right back to Maryland.

marybox.jpg

Everybody was a better option shooting than JHS last night and he took more shots than anyone.  I think he is a good player and has a bright future, I just think he had a Freshman-like really bad decision game last night.

Yeah I don't see basketball that way at all. To each their own. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

👍👍👍👍

100% should have been a flagrant against Smith. what got bates in trouble was the rule interpretation of unnecessary roughness and the guy falling like he got exploded by a landmine.  Bates did get the ball but it wasn't surprising that they got the call.  

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

100% should have been a flagrant against Smith. what got bates in trouble was the rule interpretation of unnecessary roughness and the guy falling like he got exploded by a landmine.  Bates did get the ball but it wasn't surprising that they got the call.  

No, not surprising, but still wrong. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Trayce had 2 turnovers… it wasn’t his best game by any stretch but he’s probably not the one to pile on. If his off game is 18/20 then someone else has to step up. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That was a good shot and just a silly decision on his part. I'm not saying he was perfect.. but basically every shot he took last night, our team needs him to take. Especially with the way Maryland defended TJD. 

I think the point everybody is trying to make is he was off, he was clearly off.  You don't switch hands Midway through a runner if you're not off.  I would have preferred for him to pull up on one of those threes that he passed up just take a dag on smooth jump shot and see if the thing will go down like it did the other day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not to mention that 18/20 came with him being the primary focus of the defensive game plan for Maryland. And almost every time he got the ball he drew double/triple teams. They threw a lot of looks at TJD and he STILL got 18/20.

I mentioned this in the game thread: in the wining streak at least one other player showed up. Malik, Tamar, Kopp, JHS. Last night nobody showed up. We can’t play ‘pick your poison’ when you’re not burning the defense for only looking at TJD. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think the point everybody is trying to make is he was off, he was clearly off.  You don't switch hands Midway through a runner if you're not off.  I would have preferred for him to pull up on one of those threes that he passed up just take a dag on smooth jump shot and see if the thing will go down like it did the other day.

He wasn't alone on that, I think Kopp gets too cute with the fakes at times too.  He has a shot and just isn't confident to get it off if anyone is running at him at all.  So he fakes, takes the dribble and puts up a worse shot than the one he just gave up.

You are a set shooter my guy, just get the ball up there on the initial kick out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I totally agree! Every shot he took, with the exception of a few were shots he normally would make. He was definitely pushing a little more. I just kept thinking, "Now, THIS one is finally going in and then he will get hot!" Obviously, that never happened. 

I don’t have a major problem with JHS's shots. We were never going to win that game without someone else stepping up and scoring, and JHS is the best option for that, regardless of how he has shot to that point. 

I'd bet there is a higher chance that the coaching staff was telling him that he needed to get involved as opposed to anyone telling him to stop shooting. 

He got a phenomenal look on an ATO when we were down 6 and just missed. Got another good mid-range look on the next possession and just missed, and then I think two possessions later missed (should have been a foul) in the lane. 

They were good looks by your 2nd best player when you needed a second scorer desperately to make some plays. It just didn't work out. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty clearly he didn't have a good game. I never want someone of his caliber to ever defer or not look to shoot. Marylands defense funneled things so JHS was going to naturally have more opportunities. He just didn't convert. 

We had no one else. 

• Like 2

Lotta things went wrong...

Willard used the Penn State model to beat us... Token pressure and changing defenses. They doubled Trayce every time he got it in the low block. I would imagine that's not the last time we'll see that strategy employed.

Jalen did have a bad shooting game, and I think that lead to other mistakes. He just looked uneasy out there. And his misses all seemed to be long. I'd never tell the kid to not shoot the ball though. Confidence thing.

We just didn't play well. At one point we were up 7, but unlike what we've seen in the recent past, we didn't build on it or at least sustain it.

And though the refs were terrible, we hit a few more shots and it's our game...

Sometimes that happens in basketball... 

• Like 2