Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I didn't say we fouled, I said they didn't call a foul on the drive.  The crowd was reacting to a lack of a call there (which was the correct call) and, IMO, the official that called the BS double dribble did so to "make up" for the lack of a foul call on that drive by calling a double dribble in response to the crowd.

To each their own on that thought. I think it's more likely he called the double dribble in reaction to the fans freaking out about a double dribble (because they don't know basic basketball rules)....

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Effort was there.  We still struggle with the zone and press.

Yeah the effort was fine.

I don't see how anyone that has watched any amount of basketball can conclude the effort level last night was the same as it was in the three game skid. My 7 year old would be able to easily see the difference. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

To each their own on that thought. I think it's more likely he called the double dribble in reaction to the fans freaking out about a double dribble (because they don't know basic basketball rules)....

It all happened in a series though.  They thought we fouled and are screaming about that but no call.  It is 1 to 2 seconds between the two events.  I think the big initial reaction was everyone reacting to the blocked shot (because the driver ended up on the floor) and that carried over.

Either way, doesn't really matter because in both instances the ref made a sh*t call based off the crowd (by all appearances).

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I really hope we are sending those to the league office and demanding an explanation.

The other two that really grind my gears are the travel and the double dribble. Both took away points, and both of those IMO are calls you have to be 110% positive of to call and they were both just objectively bad calls. With the way modern basketball is you should never miss either of those calls in the sense of calling it when it didn't happen - always err on the side of it being good unless you're positive. 

Maliks 5th foul was pretty bad too. Guy ran right into him and Malik gets a bump foul?  I think they got a couple FT from that too. 

• Like 2

There is plenty of work to be done. To win this conference you find a way to win last nights game. Good teams overcome forms of adversity and find a way to win.

IU can be very good when its two star players are dialed in. There just isn’t anyone consistent to step up and be a third. Hopefully that is addressed this off season. Especially if Trace and Jalen are gone. 

Last night Trace had no help. There were times when I felt like he wasn’t getting enough touches. When he would get doubled and kick it out Jalen whoever that person was didn’t shoot the ball. Our guards minus Galloway didn’t look confident. How many times did Jalen air ball?  Trace also. Why the mental laps? 

Best IU can do right now is top 5 in the league. There is no chance at beating Purdue out of the top spot.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I actually don't think we made Maryland look good at all. I wasn't really impressed with them. The fact that we played somewhat poorly and still could/maybe should have won isn't really a sign Maryland was good. 

They shot 34% from the field and 22% from 3 at home. We outrebounded them and had 11 assists to their 7. 

They are well coached, but I wasn't really that impressed with Maryland last night.

How about if I re-word that...... You're correct, they played poorly, but could have broken their BIGTEN home winning streak. I think we made them look better than they actually are by missing so many open shots. 

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maliks 5th foul was pretty bad too. Guy ran right into him and Malik gets a bump foul?  I think they got a couple FT from that too. 

I personally thought that was a pretty easy call, Malik wasn't set and needs to close out under control.

I wish our guards would have done that the entire second half against the press. It's not like it's hard to draw a foul against a moving defense. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, it's weird how no one has said that we didn't play with effort last night, because that wasn't the issue like it was in some other games. 

This post isn't the flex you think it is...

You need to lighten up... It was a friggin joke...

As @Joe_Hoopsiersaid, sometimes just laugh at the joke... That's a maturity you haven't developed yet, I guess... 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

And the double dribble call besides being absolutely BS....the ref who called it didn't call right away it was like 1.5 second delay. As if some hilljack from the seats yelled double dribble and he blew the whistle.

And we had a 3 on 1 break going that would have given us an easy basket, and some much needed momentum….really poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'll just say that Malik does himself no favors by getting into those situations. He'll lose debatable calls, but he's in foul trouble all the time because he always commits 2-3 fouls that are easy calls and he has no business committing. While Galloway is a bit too 'handsy' on defense, at least it comes from aggression and trying to stop a driver. Malik seems like he fouls a guy just standing under our basket after clearly gaining possession of a rebound because he's frustrated. And typically that guy he fouls is no threat to make a play or shoot the ball....because he's 90 feet away from the basket! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Oh god. We lose one game on the road after a 5 game win streak and its a "program issue".

Road games in the big10 are difficult. Doesn't help when we have 2 players hurt, again. Lighten up. 

I, for one, have not posting anything relating to a program issue because of this Maryland loss. I always like to make light of a loss and find a likely reason, cause and effect or glaring statistic. Dissection helps calm my frustration and OCD....lol 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I’m happy being 6-5, since literally 3 weeks ago we were 1-4 and dead in the water, move on and regroup against Purdue 

Agreed. This was kind of an ugly and head scratching loss, but get a W on Saturday and this loss doesn't mean much overall.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Here's one. Read the bold.  @Inequality

How is he wrong? He’s not wrong in the big picture. He also isn’t calling for a staff wipe.

Someone said it in the game thread last night. Good teams will find a way to win this game. IU isn’t there yet. More or less I think that’s what he is saying.

Refs and other adversity aside, IU and its staff have a good ways to go to win the games they should win. The ones that is right there for the taking. Trace can only take this team so far by himself.

Like BGleas said, Maryland isn’t all that impressive. The argument can easily be made that IU didn’t play like the second best team in the league. They have played like the best team in the league but didn’t last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I, for one, have not posting anything relating to a program issue because of this Maryland loss. I always like to make light of a loss and find a likely reason, cause and effect or glaring statistic. Dissection helps calm my frustration and OCD....lol 

I didn't say a program issue led to this loss either.  RtZ wants to tilt at windmills though.

Someone posted that this place is more animated after losses, I said I think that relates to the roller coaster nature of the program.  Indiana, as a program, is up and down constantly.  It is that hope, expectations, disappointment cycle.  That type of thing tends to exacerbate reactions to losses moreso than being consistently good or bad.

Additionally, I said last night is the type of game as a program that we generally have lost since the end of Knight's tenure.  The only guy you could count on to win a few of those road toss up games got himself fired for phone calls and drugs and whatever else.  All of the other coaches up to and including Woodson have done well at winning some big games at home while being hampered with not closing the deal on the toss up games, particularly the road toss up games.  Maryland was barely favored last night because they aren't that great.  We played horribly and they still needed foul calls and free throws to dominately go their way in order to win.  Scott Dolson didn't lose the game and the "program" did not cause us to lose the game but the MO of the program over the previous 20 years is to lose that game.

I think we shouldn't have that MO as a program based on Indiana's advantages.  We do though.  You can't make a "program" judgment off of one game and nobody was.

Mike Davis 115-79 (55-41)

Kelvin Sampson 43-15 (21-8)

Dan Dakich 3-4 (3-2)

Tom Crean 166-135 (71-91)

Archie Miller 67-58 (33-44)

Mike Woodson 36-20 (15-15)

Indiana program .580 (.496)

(Conference record in parenthesis)  That is the program judgment over the past 20+ years.  There wasn't even that negative of a reaction to this loss, most of the people were complaining about officiating and mildly pointing out some areas that did not go well.  As a program though, we lose these games and we have been losing them for the better part of 20 some odd years.  That is the difference between being a bubble team every year and having a solid seed.

That is the point I was making.  This game in the scheme of things isn't too big a deal.  This game, Penn State, Northwestern, Iowa, and Rutgers though...well...injuries you know.  The 5 we won?  Luckiest team on the planet with our injuries?

The season isn't over, I think we make the tournament, yes the injuries have some impact, and we still need to start finding ways to win this type of game more regularly if we are going to get out of the 20 year slump.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You need to lighten up... It was a friggin joke...

As @Joe_Hoopsiersaid, sometimes just laugh at the joke... That's a maturity you haven't developed yet, I guess... 

Pardon me for not understanding you were joking about something you argued with me about earlier this week, were clearly wrong about, and then doubled down on with your "joke". 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Whats so funny? You just wrote a book about how our program has been so bad over 20 years. Thats why we lost? 

Maybe Maryland is good and its a hard place to play without 2 of our players?

couldn't be that simple, right? but, remember... they watched IUBB when Knight coached, they know what it takes! 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2