Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I think when we get X back, the ability to put Trey in the middle will be big. I mean, I already said I'd try TJD but I wouldn't have minded seeing a Bates/Trey/JHS lineup and put Trey and JHS in the middle. 

Agree. Galloway would be really good there as well. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Nothing gets this board "humming" like a disappointing loss.

I think the up and down nature of the program contributes to that.  It has been a factor since at least Crean.  "You ranked em, we spank em" was very true for his teams in Assembly Hall but then you would have these inexplicable losses.  Archie was just meh from the IPFW loss to his last game.  

The past 5 games were great.  It was good to get back on the winning side of the ledger.  The excitement is tempered a bit because of the downside of the roller coaster we had just come off of.

Last night is the type of game this program consistently finds a way to lose and it is games like that which keep us from being able to push ourselves out of the middle pack in this conference.  With the built in advantages and resources given to our basketball program, you will never convince me that we shouldn't be much better than we have been for the past 20 to 25 years.

Officiating had a bunch to do with last night, but so did some of the same bugaboos that impacted us in that December skid.  There is going to he a subset of the fan base that just isn't going to be happy until they see more consistency in the win column.  It doesn't help having your rival playing a bunch of Freshman and sitting #1 in the country either.

It isn't fair, but every coach coming in here is dealing with the 20 years before him.  That is reality.  So no matter who is in that chair, there is a very real "here we go again" feeling around this program that gets amplified with losses.

We better go win the next 2.  A rival and an asshole team that talks a bunch of sh*t.  Go get it done.  The 5 game win streak proves the capability is there.  Two consecutive wins and the officiating atrociousness last night would take the sting off this game.  We CANNOT give up any more home losses.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We are an easy team to press because like you said we never burn the opponents for pressing. XJ would help, but I’m still not sure I remember burning presses often with him in the line up. 

Maryland pressed and zoned, and that seems to be our kryptonite. And when we can’t shoot over the zone….it’s probably going to be a loss. Zones tend to reduce the foul calls, which gets us frustrated. We aren’t especially great a grabbing offensive rebounds. That’s just the way it is. We have 2 guys stand in the corner and rely on kick-outs from TJD. Neither of those guys are typically good at creating their own shots and need space to put their shots up. It’s an easy cover for opponents.

That zone forced TJD to go inside or dish it out. With their zone, TJD was still able to pass and successfully connect with open shooters, despite a few passes picked off. We had a ton of open, uncontested 3 pt shots, they just didn't go down. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Tamar Bates= 100% a basketball play ... called for a flagrant? 

Donta Smith= slaps MK who is behind him and the opposite way Smith is going? No call 

👍👍👍👍

Those two are the one's that really sent me over the top. I mean we can all figure out a way to try and point away from the obvious if that makes each  poster feel better....citing poor guard play, poor defense or whatever but at end of day the difference in this game was 29-12 at the FT Line and garbage calls/sequences like the two you mentioned by officials. 

Wouldn't even bother looking at the tape.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Those two are the one's that really sent me over the top. I mean we can all figure out a way to try and point away from the obvious if that makes each  poster feel better....citing poor guard play, poor defense or whatever but at end of day the difference in this game was 29-12 at the FT Line and garbage calls/sequences like the two you mentioned by officials. 

Wouldn't even bother looking at the tape.

I really hope we are sending those to the league office and demanding an explanation.

The other two that really grind my gears are the travel and the double dribble. Both took away points, and both of those IMO are calls you have to be 110% positive of to call and they were both just objectively bad calls. With the way modern basketball is you should never miss either of those calls in the sense of calling it when it didn't happen - always err on the side of it being good unless you're positive. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

On the other hand, Geronimo could have been the "X" factor by taking up the slack for Race not being 100%. Race looked a step slow for obvious reasons, but he is definitely getting better. I really miss his 3 pt shooting. It often stretched the defenses out when he was hitting. 

I'm kidding when I say this because I think we're thinking or saying the same thing but you think not having Xavier and Geronimo actually impacted the game? Hahahaha to some of our fans. Of course it does. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I really hope we are sending those to the league office and demanding an explanation.

The other two that really grind my gears are the travel and the double dribble. Both took away points, and both of those IMO are calls you have to be 110% positive of to call and they were both just objectively bad calls. With the way modern basketball is you should never miss either of those calls in the sense of calling it when it didn't happen - always err on the side of it being good unless you're positive. 

And the double dribble call besides being absolutely BS....the ref who called it didn't call right away it was like 1.5 second delay. As if some hilljack from the seats yelled double dribble and he blew the whistle.

• Like 3

That team on the floor was capable of wining that game. It stayed within 5 points for most of the game. Yes the refs were paid off by the Maryland staff. I joke but the numbers show clear tunnel vision.

Everyone here knew last night game was going to depend of which team showed up. The way Maryland shot the ball, the 5 game win streak shooting team would have run them out of their own house. Last night looked like the 3 game skid team. Not only were shots not falling but it reminded me of the Justin Smith Devonte Green saga where the shots missed badly.

This team appears to have an odd mental issue that sends them into panic mode. Last night, Maryland pressed the entire game after IU was exposed at Iowa for not handling it well. It sure looked like it mentally broke down our guards and even Race seems to be in the same rush mode causing him turn the ball over.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And the double dribble call besides being absolutely BS....the ref who called it didn't call right away it was like 1.5 second delay. As if some hilljack from the seats yelled double dribble and he blew the whistle.

That call was made because they didn't call a foul on the drive and we were on a fast break.  It was way too late to call that foul so they pulled double dribble out of their ass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

That team on the floor was capable of wining that game. It stayed within 5 points for most of the game. Yes the refs were paid off by the Maryland staff. I joke but the numbers show clear tunnel vision.

Everyone here knew last night game was going to depend of which team showed up. The way Maryland shot the ball, the 5 game win streak got shooting team would have run them out of their own house. Last night looked like the 3 game skid team. Not only were shits not falling but it reminded me of the Justin Smith Devonte Green saga where the shots missed badly.

This team appears to have an odd mental issue that sends them into panic mode. Last night, Maryland pressed the entire game after IU was exposed at Iowa for not handling it well. It sure looked like it mentally broke down our guards and even Race seems to be in the same rush mode causing him turn the ball over.

I bolded your sentence because I respectfully disagree. During that 3 game skid our defense looked like swiss cheese and we weren't even getting consistent, open shots. Last night our defense was good enough to win the game. It was a combination if things.... We had a "plethora" of open shots that normally go down, but the lid was closed last night. Secondly, 1st half fouls on key players took us out of any momentum we were trying to build. Because of this, it took us out of certain, key defensive match ups. We never could get into a flow because the whistle was constantly being blown against one of our players..... That's exactly how I see it. I will now insert Coach Woodson's quote, "Shit Happens!".....and it stunk!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If you have to think about it, it's likely a bad call.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Between2Halls said:

This morning I have the following frustrations from last night:

1. We have to value the basketball better. 
2. Can someone hit a shot? Any shot will do. 
3. That game was there for the taking, and we just did not capitalize. 

We made them look a whole lot better that they are. They are good, but we are better. Winning on the road is hard, even against teams with loosing records. We just needed to shut them up and break their home winning streak!

How many IU fans were thinking, "If you keep yelling OVER-RATED and AIR-BALL to TJD, your gonna be sorry!"? Even Hummel heard it and said during the game, "I don't think you guys wanna be doing that!" 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We made them look a whole lot better that they are. They are good, but we are better. Winning on the road is hard, even against teams with loosing records. We just needed to shut them up and break their home winning streak!

How many IU fans were thinking, "If you keep yelling OVER-RATED and AIR-BALL to TJD, your gonna be sorry!"? Even Hummel heard it and said during the game, "I don't think you guys wanna be doing that!" 

I actually don't think we made Maryland look good at all. I wasn't really impressed with them. The fact that we played somewhat poorly and still could/maybe should have won isn't really a sign Maryland was good. 

They shot 34% from the field and 22% from 3 at home. We outrebounded them and had 11 assists to their 7. 

They are well coached, but I wasn't really that impressed with Maryland last night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I bolded your sentence because I respectfully disagree. During that 3 game skid our defense looked like swiss cheese and we weren't even getting consistent, open shots. Last night our defense was good enough to win the game. It was a combination if things.... We had a "plethora" of open shots that normally go down, but the lid was closed last night. Secondly, 1st half fouls on key players took us out of any momentum we were trying to build. Because of this, it took us out of certain, key defensive match ups. We never could get into a flow because the whistle was constantly being blown against one of our players..... That's exactly how I see it. I will now insert Coach Woodson's quote, "Shit Happens!".....and it stunk!

Yeah I really don’t disagree with your whole point though I didn’t think IU was stellar on either end. I’m saying offensively they played like the skid team. Deer in headlights type.

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Oh god. We lose one game on the road after a 5 game win streak and its a "program issue".

Road games in the big10 are difficult. Doesn't help when we have 2 players hurt, again. Lighten up. 

You quoted program issue but I can’t find where anyone said that. Which post are you referring to?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That call was made because they didn't call a foul on the drive and we were on a fast break.  It was way too late to call that foul so they pulled double dribble out of their ass.

We didn't foul them at all on the drive, what are you talking about? Race made a great block and that was 100% clean. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

By the way, I bought this off of Amazon and used it last night... But maybe it's not calibrated correctly...

1000_F_65463014_Jszzf0lQXCGBalvi5axVqyu6zL7IE35N.thumb.jpg.b8e967d94e4594fe3e7e58e3cd5f3188.jpg

😁

Yeah, it's weird how no one has said that we didn't play with effort last night, because that wasn't the issue like it was in some other games. 

This post isn't the flex you think it is...

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

We didn't foul them at all on the drive, what are you talking about? Race made a great block and that was 100% clean. 

I didn't say we fouled, I said they didn't call a foul on the drive.  The crowd was reacting to a lack of a call there (which was the correct call) and, IMO, the official that called the BS double dribble did so to "make up" for the lack of a foul call on that drive by calling a double dribble in response to the crowd.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think the up and down nature of the program contributes to that.  It has been a factor since at least Crean.  "You ranked em, we spank em" was very true for his teams in Assembly Hall but then you would have these inexplicable losses.  Archie was just meh from the IPFW loss to his last game.  

The past 5 games were great.  It was good to get back on the winning side of the ledger.  The excitement is tempered a bit because of the downside of the roller coaster we had just come off of.

Last night is the type of game this program consistently finds a way to lose and it is games like that which keep us from being able to push ourselves out of the middle pack in this conference.  With the built in advantages and resources given to our basketball program, you will never convince me that we shouldn't be much better than we have been for the past 20 to 25 years.

Officiating had a bunch to do with last night, but so did some of the same bugaboos that impacted us in that December skid.  There is going to he a subset of the fan base that just isn't going to be happy until they see more consistency in the win column.  It doesn't help having your rival playing a bunch of Freshman and sitting #1 in the country either.

It isn't fair, but every coach coming in here is dealing with the 20 years before him.  That is reality.  So no matter who is in that chair, there is a very real "here we go again" feeling around this program that gets amplified with losses.

We better go win the next 2.  A rival and an asshole team that talks a bunch of sh*t.  Go get it done.  The 5 game win streak proves the capability is there.  Two consecutive wins and the officiating atrociousness last night would take the sting off this game.  We CANNOT give up any more home losses.

Here's one. Read the bold.  @Inequality

Edited by RoadToZion