Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I didn't say a program issue led to this loss either.  RtZ wants to tilt at windmills though.

Someone posted that this place is more animated after losses, I said I think that relates to the roller coaster nature of the program.  Indiana, as a program, is up and down constantly.  It is that hope, expectations, disappointment cycle.  That type of thing tends to exacerbate reactions to losses moreso than being consistently good or bad.

Additionally, I said last night is the type of game as a program that we generally have lost since the end of Knight's tenure.  The only guy you could count on to win a few of those road toss up games got himself fired for phone calls and drugs and whatever else.  All of the other coaches up to and including Woodson have done well at winning some big games at home while being hampered with not closing the deal on the toss up games, particularly the road toss up games.  Maryland was barely favored last night because they aren't that great.  We played horribly and they still needed foul calls and free throws to dominately go their way in order to win.  Scott Dolson didn't lose the game and the "program" did not cause us to lose the game but the MO of the program over the previous 20 years is to lose that game.

I think we shouldn't have that MO as a program based on Indiana's advantages.  We do though.  You can't make a "program" judgment off of one game and nobody was.

Mike Davis 115-79 (55-41)

Kelvin Sampson 43-15 (21-8)

Dan Dakich 3-4 (3-2)

Tom Crean 166-135 (71-91)

Archie Miller 67-58 (33-44)

Mike Woodson 36-20 (15-15)

Indiana program .580 (.496)

(Conference record in parenthesis)  That is the program judgment over the past 20+ years.  There wasn't even that negative of a reaction to this loss, most of the people were complaining about officiating and mildly pointing out some areas that did not go well.  As a program though, we lose these games and we have been losing them for the better part of 20 some odd years.  That is the difference between being a bubble team every year and having a solid seed.

That is the point I was making.  This game in the school of things isn't too big a deal.  This game, Penn State, Northwestern, Iowa, and Rutgers though...well...injuries you know.  The 5 we won?  Luckiest team on the planet with our injuries?

The season isn't over, I think we make the tournament, yes the injuries have some impact, and we still need to start finding ways to win this type of game more regularly if we are going to get out of the 20 year slump.

That's a great freaking post if it isn't paraphrased with hyperbole.  

The truth is always in the middle.  While we look back over 2.5 years now, the PROGRAM is heading in the right direction.  We can make real arguments of why the collapse at Iowa and the no show(minus zero effort Northwestern), but name 5 teams that would have beat penn st at Penn st that night, that may have been their best game in 5 years. 

The point is, last night was a mental trap game, against a team very similar, IMO, to Ohio St.  They just don't have the chemistry issues and played hard the entire time, while having an incredibly favorable whistle.  And again, victory favors the aggressor.  We complained about lazy inbounds passing and no hustle to the ball, no aggressive break of the press, lack of confidentiality catch and shoot.  The list goes on.  

Cue @IUFLA for a pregame, moving on.  

436V.gif

Edited by NotIThatLives
Mental errors, no focused for 40 minutes, blame Dolson, Mike Davis, and of course, Myles Brand
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's a great freaking post if it isn't paraphrased with hyperbole.  

The truth is always in the middle.  While we look back over 2.5 years now, the PROGRAM is heading in the right direction.  We can make real arguments of why the collapse at Iowa and the no show(minus zero effort Northwestern), but name 5 teams that would have beat penn st at Penn st that night, that may have been their best game in 5 years. 

The point is, last night was a mental trap game, against a team very similar,IMO, to Ohio St.  They just don't have the chemistry issues and played gard the entire time, while have an incredibly favorable whistle.  And again, victory favors the aggressor.  We complained about lazy inbounds passing and no hustle to the ball, no aggressive break of the press, lack of confidentiality catch and shoot.  The list goes on.  

Cue @IUFLA for a pregame, moving on.  

436V.gif

Yeah, there are sometimes when the other team just has it and it isn't your night.  Penn State would be that.  Northwestern, Iowa, and Maryland weren't that though.

We think the program is heading in the right direction.  We think we would be better with Johnson.  There are argu.ents to be made that we absolutely would and there are instances where we had him (Rutgers) and had similar results.  There are a whole bunch of unknowns.  What we do know is that this team is good enough to beat an Illinois on the road, handily.  Was good enough to have Iowa down by 20.  They were good enough to beat Maryland, Iowa, and Northwestern and they didn't, for whatever reason.  So while it may feel like things are going better, this was supposed to be one of those "our year" type of deals and we are 6-5 in conference.  A conference title was basically out the door in our first 5 games.  Now we are playing for seeding and we were clawing our way back into it and laid a turd.  Still time to flip the script, and that absolutely means they have to beat Purdue and Rutgers IMO.  If they cannot be counted on to win road games, you have to win out at home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, there are sometimes when the other team just has it and it isn't your night.  Penn State would be that.  Northwestern, Iowa, and Maryland weren't that though.

We think the program is heading in the right direction.  We think we would be better with Johnson.  There are argu.ents to be made that we absolutely would and there are instances where we had him (Rutgers) and had similar results.  There are a whole bunch of unknowns.  What we do know is that this team is good enough to beat an Illinois on the road, handily.  Was good enough to have Iowa down by 20.  They were good enough to beat Maryland, Iowa, and Northwestern and they didn't, for whatever reason.  So while it may feel like things are going better, this was supposed to be one of those "our year" type of deals and we are 6-5 in conference.  A conference title was basically out the door in our first 5 games.  Now we are playing for seeding and we were clawing our way back into it and laid a turd.  Still time to flip the script, and that absolutely means they have to beat Purdue and Rutgers IMO.  If they cannot be counted on to win road games, you have to win out at home.

6tX.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This place is more animated after a loss because that's human nature. We evolved to prioritize bad events because that's how you survive. It's certainly how news programs survive, and why true crime is a booming business.

With regards to sports, there's just not as much to talk about after a win than after a loss. Happy fanbases are all alike; every unhappy fanbase is unhappy in its own way. 

I was shaking my head when I heard Jerod Morris trot out the old "it isn't that we lost, it's how we lost" on Assembly Call after this one. Pretty sure I've heard that after every loss this season. Maybe it really is just that we lost? Eventually had to shut it off, for the same things you see in this thread. Losing is frustrating. We all have different thoughts on why it happened, and it feels good to get those thoughts out. But sometimes losses happen. We had a bad performance and didn't get the result we wanted. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the last twenty years of the program, or the IU administration holding back the athletics department. You take the L and move on. On the road at Maryland is as good a place to do that as any.

I'm pleased with the team I've seen over the past six games. Now get a healthy X back to provide another option at guard for ball handling, scoring, and perimeter defense, especially on night's when JHS doesn't have it. Let's see what this team has over the next six games. Improvement is never a perfectly linear path.

• Like 5

Just now, Maedhros said:

This place is more animated after a loss because that's human nature. We evolved to prioritize bad events because that's how you survive. It's certainly how news programs survive, and why true crime is a booming business.

With regards to sports, there's just not as much to talk about after a win than after a loss. Happy fanbases are all alike; every unhappy fanbase is unhappy in its own way. 

I was shaking my head when I heard Jerod Morris trot out the old "it isn't that we lost, it's how we lost" on Assembly Call after this one. Pretty sure I've heard that after every loss this season. Maybe it really is just that we lost? Eventually had to shut it off, for the same things you see in this thread. Losing is frustrating. We all have different thoughts on why it happened, and it feels good to get those thoughts out. But sometimes losses happen. We had a bad performance and didn't get the result we wanted. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the last twenty years of the program, or the IU administration holding back the athletics department. You take the L and move on. On the road at Maryland is as good a place to do that as any.

I'm pleased with the team I've seen over the past six games. Now get a healthy X back to provide another option at guard for ball handling, scoring, and perimeter defense, especially on night's when JHS doesn't have it. Let's see what this team has over the next six games. Improvement is never a perfectly linear path.

Yep, rinse and repeat after each loss. It's all the same. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Pardon me for not understanding you were joking about something you argued with me about earlier this week, were clearly wrong about, and then doubled down on with your "joke". 

You know, my whole life I've joked with my friends. I have friends to this day, that if I don't rib them a little, they think I'm mad about something...

I'm actually shocked at some of you, particularly the mods like @BGleas and @Inequality for not realizing the intent of my post. I was poking fun at the whole argument... Both of our parts in it...

I sit here a lot of times and read disparaging remarks toward @IU Scott or some of the older posters and the whole "Ok Boomer" thing and I laugh at it because I'm mature enough to understand it's a joke...

But now I realize at least some of it is mean spirited and "flexing" as you called. I don't think I've ever read anything so insecure and ignorant. "Flexing on the internet." 🙄 

So, is that where we're at? Where mean spirited posts by you are ok? "The whole A Thread to Discuss Why Life was Better in the Cold War Era" isn't kidding, but instead an indictment of people who have much more experience at life than you do? 

I'm sorry you took offense. From now on I'll treat you accordingly... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

In the end, I'm not overly concerned about this L. You could chalk it up to a number of things, but it stings a bit that Maryland played so poorly and still beat us by double figures - as much as their fans like to think differently, the XFinity Center isn't all that different than most B1G arenas and crowds, so we kind of missed an opportunity to get a road W. I also won't be overly concerned if we lose a close one to Purdue, since that's a rivalry game and all that.

I'm very, very, very interested to see how we play in the Rutgers game, though. They've had our number for a few years now, one of their players basically called us soft earlier this year, and this game will be at home. Lay an egg in that one, and the concern meter ramps up a significant amount. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

In the end, I'm not overly concerned about this L. You could chalk it up to a number of things, but it stings a bit that Maryland played so poorly and still beat us by double figures - as much as their fans like to think differently, the XFinity Center isn't all that different than most B1G arenas and crowds, so we kind of missed an opportunity to get a road W. I also won't be overly concerned if we lose a close one to Purdue, since that's a rivalry game and all that.

I'm very, very, very interested to see how we play in the Rutgers game, though. They've had our number for a few years now, one of their players basically called us soft earlier this year, and this game will be at home. Lay an egg in that one, and the concern meter ramps up a significant amount. 

I agree. All our remaining game are huge. However, we have to return the favor and get back a win from the teams we lost to earlier. We got punched in the mouth and need to learn from it and return the favor. Rutgers needs to be circled REAL BIG!

17 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree. All our remaining game are huge. However, we have to return the favor and get back a win from the teams we lost to earlier. We got punched in the mouth and need to learn from it and return the favor. Rutgers needs to be circled REAL BIG!

5 home games and 4 on the road.  To me just to have the skimpiest bit of improvement we have to win out at home.  

I went to a Jason Isbell concert last night and checked the box score when I got home. Glad I didn't have to see how the sausage was made.  I just finished reading through this thread from the beginning and you all filled in the gaps for me that can't be extracted from a box score.  I sure don't need to watch a replay now and tanks to you all for that!
The concert was AWESOME - really glad I went.
On to the next one.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

I went to a Jason Isbell concert last night and checked the box score when I got home. Glad I didn't have to see how the sausage was made.  I just finished reading through this thread from the beginning and you all filled in the gaps for me that can't be extracted from a box score.  I sure don't need to watch a replay now and tanks to you all for that!
The concert was AWESOME - really glad I went.
On to the next one.

Was that the one at the Blue Gate?

Public service announcement gentlemen.

I had a poster PM me yesterday (before the game) and mentioned that the board is less fun than it used to be because:

- personal attacks

- know-it-all attitudes.

This thread has evolved into a microcosm of what he was talking about.

We're better than that.  No harm in disagreement and debate, but do so in a respectful manner similar as you would take with your grandmother.

If Poster A thinks the loss was all about effort, while Poster B thinks it was the officiating, and Poster C thinks it was coaching, all 3 of those are personal opinions that contribute to the spirit of what the board is intended to be. Discuss them, debate them, but do so respectfully.

No opinions should be ridiculed, nor should any poster (at least those that are not trolls) be addressed in a condescending manner.  

Let's not lose what makes this the best IU board out there.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, eddy4iu said:

Brown County Music Center - a really incredible venue seating 2,000.  Was up close and center for this one but there's not a bad seat in the house - the last row is only 200 feet from the stage.  

I'll have to second this. That place is phenomenal.  I went to see Kevin Costner and his band there in November 2021. Was about 6 rows from the stage. Not only is there not a bad seat but their lineup of artist and bands is top notch. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You know, my whole life I've joked with my friends. I have friends to this day, that if I don't rib them a little, they think I'm mad about something...

I'm actually shocked at some of you, particularly the mods like @BGleas and @Inequality for not realizing the intent of my post. I was poking fun at the whole argument... Both of our parts in it...

I sit here a lot of times and read disparaging remarks toward @IU Scott or some of the older posters and the whole "Ok Boomer" thing and I laugh at it because I'm mature enough to understand it's a joke...

But now I realize at least some of it is mean spirited and "flexing" as you called. I don't think I've ever read anything so insecure and ignorant. "Flexing on the internet." 🙄 

So, is that where we're at? Where mean spirited posts by you are ok? "The whole A Thread to Discuss Why Life was Better in the Cold War Era" isn't kidding, but instead an indictment of people who have much more experience at life than you do? 

I'm sorry you took offense. From now on I'll treat you accordingly... 

I didn't take offense, nor do I think flexing is mean spirited.

That's all I'm going to say in response to this and I'll move on with my day. 

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had a poster PM me yesterday (before the game) and mentioned that the board is less fun than it used to be because:

- personal attacks

- know-it-all attitudes.

We're better than that.  No harm in disagreement and debate, but do so in a respectful manner similar as you would take with your grandmother.

If Poster A thinks the loss was all about effort, while Poster B thinks it was the officiating, and Poster C thinks it was coaching, all 3 of those are personal opinions that contribute to the spirit of what the board is intended to be. Discuss them, debate them, but do so respectfully.

No opinions should be ridiculed, nor should any poster (at least those that are not trolls) be addressed in a condescending manner.  

it's like my sweet Grandma used to say: opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one. Some just stink differently.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

- personal attacks

- know-it-all attitudes.

I'm sorry but if someone is that offended by what is posted on this board... I'm not really sure what to tell them. It says a lot more about them, then it does the "whole" we have here. This is like the most G-rated place I've ever been to talk sports and that includes my own household growing up. 

"know-it-alls" are we in elementary school? Maybe more should just listen to the things that are being told to them? Idk. 

I think I can remember one game thread a bunch of you guys got into it and a Mod had to make a PSA the next day? only thing I can think of on a "big scale". But, game threads are stupid anyways and I have no idea how any of you participate in them, especially on a regular basis.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

- personal attacks

- know-it-all attitudes.

People get tired of you talking about your ex wives in every thread as well. It’s not funny and it’s very old. 

• Haha 3