Rutgers post game

Madison22

12 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Rough ending, but we beat a good Rutgers team.

Respect to Indiana, whose players could have quit mid-season.

I hope Trayce Jackson-Davis has a great NBA career.  Makes $400 million.  Then I hope he comes back to Indiana to coach.  He just radiates success.

We will never see another like him.

2000+pts

1000+rebs

200+blocks

200+assists

Job well done IU. Now beat NW, Michigan and Illinois please and thank you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

If I was Woody, I'd give Pikiell time to address it... If he didn't, I'd address it to him...

Different styles of leadership I suppose, but my first rule is, always protect your people... 

That doesn't protect your people, that just makes you look like a Karen. To each their own! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I honestly don't think this is even a blip on the radar for Steve Pikiell or really Woodson either. 

Classless move by Mulcahey, absolutely! But I don't think either coach really even thinking about it this morning unless the media forces them to. 

More for stuff for fan chatter than anything else. 

Again, remember Montez Mathis?

Costing a kid almost half a season is anything but a "blip on the radar." If Trayce had went down and fractured a kneecap or wrist bracing himself, we'd all be talking differently today...

And "well that didn't happen" doesn't wash... 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Again, remember Montez Mathis?

Costing a kid almost half a season is anything but a "blip on the radar." If Trayce had went down and fractured a kneecap or wrist bracing himself, we'd all be talking differently today...

And "well that didn't happen" doesn't wash... 

What does Montez Mathis have to do with this? I doubt in that case the St. John's coach called Woodson. 

Again, unless the media forces this, I promise Woodson and Pikiell aren't even thinking about this today. They've moved on to the next game. 

A phone call doesn't change anything. A phone call doesn't prevent some alternate reality where TJD might have gotten hurt. 

It's nothing and we move on with a great W. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I honestly don't think this is even a blip on the radar for Steve Pikiell or really Woodson either. 

Classless move by Mulcahey, absolutely! But I don't think either coach really even thinking about it this morning unless the media forces them to. 

Pikiell will likely have to address it in some form - the kid deleted his Twitter, I'm assuming due to a lot of backlash, he's had some issues with anger and some cheap behavior on the court before, and he's one of their best players. Guess it depends on their relationship, but I would imagine a coach would at minimum have a chat with him about it.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Pikiell will likely have to address it in some form - the kid deleted his Twitter, I'm assuming due to a lot of backlash, he's had some issues with anger and some cheap behavior on the court before, and he's one of their best players. Guess it depends on their relationship, but I would imagine a coach would at minimum have a chat with him about it.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll address it with Mulcahey, mostly because the media and social media will force him too, and because you need to make sure you don't lose the kid going forward due to a suspension or ejection. 

More a conversation on keeping his emotions in check so it doesn't hurt the team. 

But I'd be really surprised if there was any conversation around calling Woodson or TJD to apologize or anything like that. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

How about this scenario?....What if IU lost the game in the closing seconds as TJD was driving and putting up a potential game winning shot or dunk and then the "infamous trip" occurred, followed by a no call?  

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If I was his coach, I would address it from the standpoint of maintaining emotional control. The incident is inconsequential but the behavior, if left unchecked, could cost his team at some point. The player has some maturing to do. Part of a coaches responsibility is the personal development of young people.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If that's the only reason Steve Pikiell would address it, he's not the man or leader I think he is...

Obviously you wouldn't address it... 

I think you're really overthinking this and blowing it way out of proportion. 

I've literally been in more than one college basketball game where punches have been thrown and benches cleared. 

Did we discuss it the next day? Sure. Was anybody calling anyone to apologize the next day? No. 

It's something that happened in the heat of battle, we got the W, you move on. 

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

I think you're really overthinking this and blowing it way out of proportion. 

I've literally been in more than one college basketball game where punches have been thrown and benches cleared. 

Did we discuss it the next day? Sure. Was anybody calling anyone to apologize the next day? No. 

It's something that happened in the heat of battle, we got the W, you move on. 

And your coach did nothing about it?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I mean, we had a conversation about no more fights and that we represent the university, etc.  It was like a 30 second conversation before we started watching film at the start of practice. 

Well after I went to prison for being a dirty SOB we talked about it a lot more....... No wait, that was Bad Davison. Never mind. :)

• Haha 3

Just now, 5fouls said:

At a minimum, Pikell needs to let him know it should never happen again.  

Thinking back a few years ago to Grayson Allen of Duke.  The fact that the behavior continued made me think it was never properly addressed by Coach K.

Agree. Pikiell should mention it to Mulcahey in the sense that you can't hurt your team. You need to keep it in check so you don't get ejected or suspended, etc.  

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You guys ever officiated an elementary school recess? Wild Wild West out there. Kids tripping kids left and right. Mulcahy Culkin would fit right in. 

False equivalency...

Look, my point is, when a player does something dirty, and I think we all agree what Mulcahy did was dirty, there has to be accountability...

Without it, you're tacitly condoning what he did. The next time might wind up differently...

By bringing up Mathis, I was highlighting what can happen... He paid a price by being kicked out of the game... 

Hopefully Pikiell does the right thing and holds Mulcahy accountable in some way... And hopefully Mulcahy is man enough to reach out to Trayce and apologize... 

Watching the replay... 

11 min mark-- Malik over helps for no reason (Cliff Em wasn't even in the game) on a roll to the basket by RU backup FR big guy.... he's left Palmquist wide open for a 3. 

905- great pass by Bates to Kopp in the corner. Tamar has started to pass a little better. 

725- JG doesn't know the scouting report. Leaves Palmquist for a non shooter. 

645- JG/IU doesn't get matched up. Palmquist 3. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

False equivalency...

Look, my point is, when a player does something dirty, and I think we all agree what Mulcahy did was dirty, there has to be accountability...

Without it, you're tacitly condoning what he did. The next time might wind up differently...

By bringing up Mathis, I was highlighting what can happen... He paid a price by being kicked out of the game... 

Hopefully Pikiell does the right thing and holds Mulcahy accountable in some way... And hopefully Mulcahy is man enough to reach out to Trayce and apologize... 

I had assumed all of this was understood, and you're right, and I agree.... And what little I know about PM... doesn't seem like he's going to do that. 

Edited by btownqb

Some guys just lose their minds when they get into any sort of organized competition:

Rutgers had two student-athletes earn the Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship Award on Wednesday. Men's basketball student-athlete Paul Mulcahy and women's tennis student-athlete Maya Jacobs earned the accolade. 

Mulcahy recently completed his sophomore season as a point guard on the men's basketball team, leading the Scarlet Knights to the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991 and first NCAA Tournament victory since 1983. A member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), the Bayonne, N.J. native started a charitable initiative, the Grateful4 Foundation, with a mission of spreading the idea of gratitude and inspire a chain reaction of selfless acts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

False equivalency...

I don't think it was that big of a deal. Is it possible Mulcahy caught himself and pulled back on his kick because he has matured? This is a Rutgers issue to address. Let it be.

• Like 3