Rutgers post game

Madison22

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I understand JG has an injured calf but ever since Race came back it’s like JG has lost his confidence. I’d much rather have banks come in at the 4 after Malik when he’s not subbing in for Miller at the 3. JG not being prepared defensively and not having good hands offensively hurts us way more than what Race is doing IMO

I think JG is the same player he’s almost always been.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Would I personally apologize if I did something wrong? Yes, I would. 

I have gone out of my way to not manage people in my career because there are certain sacrifices I'm not willing to make with small children, but yes, I'd hold someone accountable. Doesn't mean it would be anything that would be known to anyone other than me and the individual(s) involved, though. 

I think if you reread my posts there's no commentary on anything being public...

It's strictly about leadership and accountability... 

Regarding the Race booing, I was there across from the students and didn’t hear it. Not saying it didn’t happen, just that it wasn’t audibly noticeable for me or my kids. Which means maybe (hopefully) it wasn’t noticeable to the players either. There were definitely some groans but hopefully it was just a few isolated idiots who don’t appreciate what Race has meant to this program. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Regarding the Race booing, I was there across from the students and didn’t hear it. Not saying it didn’t happen, just that it wasn’t audibly noticeable for me or my kids. Which means maybe (hopefully) it wasn’t noticeable to the players either. There were definitely some groans but hopefully it was just a few isolated idiots who don’t appreciate what Race has meant to this program. 

I was also at the game, we sit on the side where the students are and I did hear the boos a few times after Race missed a a couple shots.  At first I thought are they booing at Race?  But then I chalked it up to them booing at the douchebaggery of some of the Rutgers players.  But my first reaction was oh please don’t boo Race so I can see why people are bringing it up as that may have well been the case.

Random side note, I love that douchebaggery is a word that doesn’t get the red line of misspelled under it 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was there also and didn’t notice any booing that I would assume was directed towards any player. IU player that is.

Sam shared this on twitter which I thought was interesting. You don’t have to be a college coach to understand the game. Especially if you’ve been a part of the game in many forms your whole life. Lots of folks calling for Malik to play and rightfully so. I for one wanted Malik and Bates in the game for the duration of the second half. It didn’t happen of course but felt like those guys were giving us a better look last night.

What I felt was a negative was when we had Banks and Geronimo in together.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kind of lazy to only post the offensive rating though, right? If you are Sam Story, I mean. 

That is some seriously incomplete information. 

Fans almost always focus on the offensive side of the game (at least initially). I found myself frustrated with leaving Race in the game early in the second half because his offensive game was just off and we couldn't buy a bucket. But down the stretch I was glad he was in for his defense and FT shooting.

• Like 3

Just now, HoosierDPU95 said:

Fans almost always focus on the offensive side of the game (at least initially). I found myself frustrated with leaving Race in the game early in the second half because his offensive game was just off and we couldn't buy a bucket. But down the stretch I was glad he was in for his defense and FT shooting.

Yes, he needs to play at a quicker pace offensively.... undoubtedly. 

It was glaringly obvious late in the game, Malik wasn't going to have a good matchup on the defensive end, and again... we really like to switch 1-4... Malik makes that extremely harder. And he got lost in transition D multiple times last night. 

The blanket statement--- "Malik should play more than Race"... nahhh, not buying, and I'm definitely not when there isn't someone for Malik to guard because as we've seen, he can be a complete defensive liability. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What religion would indicate to you someone is likely to be a good person, just because they’re devoutly (insert religion)?

True statement.  Some of the most notorious terrorists have been devoutly religious.  You may argue that it's a "false" or "phony" religion, but it doesn't matter to a true believer.

I think in the end it was mostly Mulcahey letting his frustrations get the better of him.  I doubt he's proud of that attempt today.  I haven't seen enough Grayson Allen in him yet to label him as dirty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It was glaringly obvious late in the game, Malik wasn't going to have a good matchup on the defensive end, and again... we really like to switch 1-4... Malik makes that extremely harder. And he got lost in transition D multiple times last night. 

The blanket statement--- "Malik should play more than Race"... nahhh, not buying, and I'm definitely not when there isn't someone for Malik to guard because as we've seen, he can be a complete defensive liability. 

Malik was a defensive liability last night on smaller players. I feel like Race was as well with being late on rotations, allowing second chances. If he’s healthy I want him out there.  But when he’s hobbled he’s a liability as well. I feel like it should have been a perfect spot for JG to come in if healthy but even the couple mins he was in he looked lost. 
Agree with the blanket statement, but it’s hard to think objectively in a tight game with Race struggling on O a lot more. Things are going to pile up. 

With race hobbled, and JG and Banks looking to have a mild defensive IQ deficit that “4” spot leaves a little to be desired on defense right now. Love Banks rebounding though. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Malik was a defensive liability last night on smaller players. I feel like Race was as well with being late on rotations, allowing second chances. If he’s healthy I want him out there.  But when he’s hobbled he’s a liability as well. I feel like it should have been a perfect spot for JG to come in if healthy but even the couple mins he was in he looked lost. 
Agree with the blanket statement, but it’s hard to think objectively in a tight game with Race struggling on O a lot more. Things are going to pile up. 

With race hobbled, and JG and Banks looking to have a mild defensive IQ deficit that “4” spot leaves a little to be desired on defense right now. Love Banks rebounding though. 

He didn't really looked hobbled to me. vs. Maryland late in the game, it looked like he was hobbled... vs. Purdue and Rutgers, it seems to me the knee has gotten quite a bit better. I don't think he was late on many closeouts last night, other than by design. Like we wanted Hyatt shooting 3s. 

To the bold, I would say... we have been pretty good in tight games late, right? 

Allowing second chances is a team thing and not just a Race Thompson thing. 

I want Race to be better, undoubtedly. All I'm saying.. I completely get why they have decided he's the best option, at times. My only opinion. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He didn't really looked hobbled to me. vs. Maryland late in the game, it looked like he was hobbled... vs. Purdue and Rutgers, it seems to me the knee has gotten quite a bit better. I don't think he was late on many closeouts last night, other than by design. Like we wanted Hyatt shooting 3s. 

To the bold, I would say... we have been pretty good in tight games late, right? 

Allowing second chances is a team thing and not just a Race Thompson thing. 

I want Race to be better, undoubtedly. All I'm saying.. I completely get why they have decided he's the best option, at times. My only opinion. 

We've had two tight losses, one of which we made a furious comeback to make it tight. I agree, we've actually done really well late in close games. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

What I don't understand is why didn't we go small when Rutgers went to 4 guards. Move Kopp to the 4 and bring Banks in.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

True statement.  Some of the most notorious terrorists have been devoutly religious.  You may argue that it's a "false" or "phony" religion, but it doesn't matter to a true believer.

I think in the end it was mostly Mulcahey letting his frustrations get the better of him.  I doubt he's proud of that attempt today.  I haven't seen enough Grayson Allen in him yet to label him as dirty. 

You should see how people acts on the court in a church league game

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I don't understand is why didn't we go small when Rutgers went to 4 guards. Move Kopp to the 4 and bring Banks in.

Because we didn't need to. That's the luxury of a guy like Race that can switch onto almost everyone defensively. We didn't need to go small. 

I'm excited about Banks' play the last week or two, but defense is not his strong suit yet. If you were the coach, who do you trust more to defend and communicate switches down the stretch of a close, important Big Ten game, Race or Banks?

I think the answer is pretty simple. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2