Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Could a side effect (is that the right term?) of awarding 2 shots for 7 team fouls, instead of a 1-1, be.... 

the game is a little less physical/defenders are more aware of fouling? 

And... that lead to more entertainment/intrigue.... anyways? 

I could get with the 4 quarters and shoot 2 after 5 fouls thing.  I think it would actually cut down on foul shooting having a reset after 10 minutes.  

That helps the flow.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe that could be because of the style of play instead of having quarters or halves.

What’s different besides the obvious more athleticism the men display? The men have a dominant post player we play through so does the women. I guess you could say it’s more physical? I mean I know they are two completely different games but I don’t think that the men’s game style of play would change from switching to quarters from halves. 

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

What’s different besides the obvious more athleticism the men display? The men have a dominant post player we play through so does the women. I guess you could say it’s more physical? I mean I know they are two completely different games but I don’t think that the men’s game style of play would change from switching to quarters from halves. 

The women's game seems to have more player and ball movement. The game is way less physical inside and there seems to be more freedom of movement.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Heard Mike Docoursey on the radio today. He said if Galloway would have sold the foul more by going to the ground they probably would have called the foul.

And that's ridiculous. In other words, he should have flopped. I thought that was a no no. We need to take the acting out of the game, not add more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

My only thing on the bolded is that I don't see any other teams being treated that way. 

IU probably has 4-6 technicals this year on just garbage stuff that I don't see being called on any other teams. 

Not trying to troll 🧌 you 

1.  NW bricked another 3 as T is called 

2.  Yet Fran gets nothing for the BS in Iowa city?

3.  CMW has to keep his cool and get bench in order….those 4 points were huge in a game to 60 

4.  It was an obvious travel 

5.  We need ref 🎤 every game 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Why would you punish a team for simply getting fouled? The point is to punish the defense for fouling too much, not to punish the offense. 

How are you "punishing" anybody? You're giving your opponent an opportunity to score 2 points in exchange for time. They just have to earn the second by making the first...

It's all strategic... Unless you want to sap all of the strategy out of basketball like they have baseball with the DH (another thing @btownqb and I disagree on, but that's ok)...

Here's the thing... I've seen many instances in my life where people keep tinkering with something until they break it. Change simply for the sake of change is, as I said, dumb... If you can produce a tangible advancement of the game, hey, fine... The shot clock was a good idea... The 3 point line was a good idea...

I'm certainly ok with change if it improves the product, but so far, I haven't seen that kind of justification for change... 

Edited by IUFLA

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How are you "punishing" anybody? You're giving your opponent an opportunity to score 2 points in exchange for time. They just have to earn the second by making the first...

It's all strategic... Unless you want to sap all of the strategy out of basketball like they have baseball with the DH (another thing @btownqb and I disagree on, but that's ok)...

Here's the thing... I've seen many instances in my life where people keep tinkering with something until they break it. Change simply for the sake of change is, as I said, dumb... If you can produce a tangible advancement of the game, hey, fine... The shot clock was a good idea... The 3 point line was a good idea...

I'm certainly ok with change if it improves the product, but so far, I haven't seen that kind of justification for change... 

Very well said and totally agree with this viewpoint

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But why does the defense get to trade anything by fouling that the offense then has to earn?

If they want the ball back faster they should have to play defense and earn it, right? If they choose to foul it shouldn’t shift the burden and pressure to the offense; that’s punishing the offense for the defense violating the rules.

Without factoring in the pressure of the situation, a 75% free throw shooter scores .19 less per possession a 1 and 1 as opposed to if he got two shots. That’s a huge advantage to the defense when they are the team committing a violation in the first place. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So @BGleassuggested letting the ball advance to half court... Why would you do that beyond paving the way for a more exciting ending?

I suppose you are, but it’s the team with the ball using an asset of theirs in exchange for something. A one in one is a team committing a violation and getting rewarded with something.

Edited by KoB2011

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But why does the defense get to trade anything by fouling that the offense then has to earn?

If they want the ball back faster they should have to play defense and earn it, right? If they choose to foul it shouldn’t shift the burden and pressure to the offense; that’s punishing the offense for the defense violating the rules.

Without factoring in the pressure of the situation, a 75% free throw shooter scores .19 less per possession a 1 and 1 as opposed to if he got two shots. That’s a huge advantage to the defense when they are the team committing a violation in the first place. 

All you're doing is asking a basketball player to do something native to the game... Put the ball in the basket... Free... With no one guarding you...

It's strategy plain and simple... 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All you're doing is asking a basketball player to do something native to the game... Put the ball in the basket... Free... With no one guarding you...

It's strategy plain and simple... 

factually speaking, the offensive team gets less expected points from a 1 and 1 than a 2 shot foul… even with a good free throw shooter.

I don’t think committing a violation, especially on purpose, should result in an advantage for the defense. It’s fine if you or anyone else does, but let’s admit it’s because we want chaos and not what actually helps determine who is best on a given night.

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

factually speaking, the offensive team gets less expected points from a 1 and 1 than a 2 shot foul… even with a good free throw shooter.

I don’t think committing a violation, especially on purpose, should result in an advantage for the defense. It’s fine if you or anyone else does, but let’s admit it’s because we want chaos and not what actually helps determine who is best on a given night.

Factually speaking almost all players make FTs at a higher percentage than they do field goals...

At the end of the game, the score, regardless of the circumstances, will tell you who is the best on a given night...