Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It has been a repeated them all year with all of the weird techs we've had that refs have given us a quick T instead of having a conversation. Extremely frustrating when you see how other teams get to behave with nothing. 

The Assembly Call podcast goes into this a bit a couple weeks ago. 

I cant remember it all but they basically said that people close to the program have stated that Woody doesnt have the relationship nor knows how to treat the college officials yet. So he doesnt get the benefit of the doubt and the explanations like Izzo, Painter and the like would usually get.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Honestly, seems exactly like someone who can't handle a high pressure situation. 

Yep.....He seems very defensive and possibly using is police training/experiences while officiating games. 

When you watch the video of Coach Woodson getting his tech, you can read Larry's lips perfectly as he exclaims very satisfyingly,...."And this one is for YOU!"

LOL..... These must have been things going through Larry mind last night before each tech!  lol

Check out a few of these "Don'ts" I found, when confronting a police officer.......😆

• DON'T get into an argument with the police, no matter how hard they may try to bait you into losing your temper.
  • DON'T initiate physical contact with the police, even if you mean them no harm.
  • DON'T interfere with or obstruct the police.  If you do, you can face additional criminal charges.
  • DON'T resist arrest.  Even if you think you are innocent, the time to protest comes later.  If you resist arrest, you may face additional charges.
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Search the ref up on twitter @ChiefScirotto. Have a look at who he follows. I see only one university. NW. This is the same guy isn’t it?

How was this guy even allowed to officiate this game? All I see is red flags and conflict of interest. It’s like letting a beauty queens mother be a pageant judge for her daughters own pageant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Search the ref up on twitter @CheifScirotto. Have a look at who he follows. I see only one university. NW. This is the same guy isn’t it?

How was this guy even allowed to officiate this game? All I see is red flags and conflict of interest. It’s like letting a beauty queens mother be a pageant judge for her daughters own pageant.

Someone said he graduated from Northwestern

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I cant remember it all but they basically said that people close to the program have stated that Woody doesnt have the relationship nor knows how to treat the college officials yet. So he doesnt get the benefit of the doubt and the explanations like Izzo, Painter and the like would usually get.

I'd be really surprised if there is any accuracy to that claim from The Assembly Call. But if it is accurate, then that is a massive, massive problem that the Big Ten needs to address or it is failing miserably to create a level playing field. 

Because Woodson doesn't have a relationship with the refs because he was busy in the NBA, that means our bench can be called for technicals with the slightest reaction to a call, but Izzo and McCaffrey can run all over the court acting like raving lunatics and not get a technical?

That's a gross level of ineptitude if true. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, I think what gives is that Big Ten Officials are straight trash, and the way the conference promotes and allows the garbage officiating is straight trash. 

I wasn't saying the refs are somehow trying to get NW to win. They just for some inexplicable reason allowed NW to play a style in the first half that promoted and allowed extremely physical play. I don't know why, but I know it happened and it directly contributed (not the only reason) to our poor play in the first half. 

Fair enough. I'll just say that I wouldn't expect things to change, since it's been going on for decades now. See Ted Valentine and others. I'm also not sure it's just the B1G - I watched the Xavier/Marquette game before ours, and it was even more physical and loosely called, and seemed to be favorable to Marquette overall. References to the old Big East "no blood, no foul" were made multiple times in the broadcast.

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Search the ref up on twitter @CheifScirotto. Have a look at who he follows. I see only one university. NW. This is the same guy isn’t it?

Yep, same guy. He appears to be a real piece of work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Fair enough. I'll just say that I wouldn't expect things to change, since it's been going on for decades now. See Ted Valentine and others. I'm also not sure it's just the B1G - I watched the Xavier/Marquette game before ours, and it was even more physical and loosely called, and seemed to be favorable to Marquette overall. References to the old Big East "no blood, no foul" were made multiple times in the broadcast.

Oh, I don't expect it change. The Big Ten seems to prefer it. But, I'm also not going to stop whining and crying about it 🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

That explanation makes no sense. So because Woodson doesn't know your back story you can't officiate his team's games the same way they officiate others? That's a tough sell. 

Assembly Call bought that as an actual reason? 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd be really surprised if there is any accuracy to that claim from The Assembly Call. But if it is accurate, then that is a massive, massive problem that the Big Ten needs to address or it is failing miserably to create a level playing field. 

Because Woodson doesn't have a relationship with the refs because he was busy in the NBA, that means our bench can be called for technicals with the slightest reaction to a call, but Izzo and McCaffrey can run all over the court acting like raving lunatics and not get a technical?

I lust looked it up. its the post game Maryland episode around the 38:00 minute mark.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You bring up a good point. Some refs, like Larry, may look at former NBA coaches that switch to college, like Woodson and think, "We do things a little different down here in the NCAA!" It's a shame if true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That explanation makes no sense. So because Woodson doesn't know your back story you can't officiate his team's games the same way they officiate others? That's a tough sell. 

Assembly Call bought that as an actual reason? 

I couldnt remember exactly what it was. so i listened to a bit of it just now. Something along the lines of an NBA coach coming to the college game with maybe a bit of arrogance.... and people close to the program said he needs to change his approach with officials. 

Maybe listen to it. These guys arent your typical run of the mill homers. They are usually fairly unbiased. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, then you must know exactly why the ref called the tech. Please share with the rest of us.

And yeah, I’ll admit to putting some blame on the bench, because this isn’t the first time. So, point taken there.

If your point is no one knows that’s fine, but then you’re also arguing that your entire point is wrong… because you don’t know.

Regarding Scrotum, I’m inclined to think someone that manages to get fired as a cop lacks the ability to properly adjudicate many situations. Given what we can see from the two camera angles and the general reaction from our team, combined with Hummel’s laughter hearing the ridiculous explanation, the most reasonable explanation is it was poor officiating. 

• Like 1

Just now, ledies22 said:

I couldnt remember exactly what it was. so i listened to a bit of it just now. Something along the lines of an NBA coach coming to the college game with maybe a bit of arrogance.... and people close to the program said he needs to change his approach with officials. 

Maybe listen to it. These guys arent your typical run of the mill homers. They are usually fairly unbiased. 

I've listened to them. They're smarter than they are basketball guys. 

I just don't buy it whatsoever. I've mentioned before, If Woodson comes off as arrogant and a know it all to an official... it's probably because he's right. And maybe they ought to listen to him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If your point is no one knows that’s fine, but then you’re also arguing that your entire point is wrong… because you don’t know.

Regarding Scrotum, I’m inclined to think someone that manages to get fired as a cop lacks the ability to properly adjudicate many situations. Given what we can see from the two camera angles and the general reaction from our team, combined with Hummel’s laughter hearing the ridiculous explanation, the most reasonable explanation is it was poor officiating. 

Yah, I took your point, and I didn't word my response very well - what I was trying to say was that I was wrong to blame the bench when I don't know, and none of us know, what the tech was actually for. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

No, the ref is the only one that truly knows why he called that. It’s possible he had a grudge from Miller Kopp transferring. Maybe he doesn’t like the trident logo. Maybe he misheard something someone said from the bench. Or, maybe someone said something or did something that was worthy of a tech None of us know.

Much like we know that good cops aren’t looking to get people in trouble, they are looking to manage situations, good officials are doing the same. We know Larry got fired because he was a bad cop (and let’s be real, it’s hard to fire cops).

If the Class B tech was truly warranted, and it was the only reasonable way to deescalate (our team had stopped talked a few seconds before he called it, but I digress), then the actions of someone trying to deescalate would be to have a conversation with Mike Woodson. He did the opposite, because he was acting emotionally. His job requires him not to do that and he failed.

No matter what IU did to “earn” the first tech (which he improperly administered, but keep on defending him bro), the second shouldn’t have happened if he did his job. He should always deescalate situations and he did the opposite with Woody.

Most referees are also extremely hesitant to call a second tech in a situation like that because they want to remain unemotional, so they let another official do it if the behavior warrants it. You’ll be hard pressed to find examples of one ref calling two techs that quickly on one team. 

• Like 1