Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

I would have loved to have DJ Carstensan on the call last night. If he was officiating, we most likely would have won. Not because I think he favors IU, but because he's very level headed, high BB IQ, approachable and fair. DJ, in my opinion is one of the top 5 NCAA official, now question.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

So instead of strawman stuff, now I’m just being contrarian? It’s not possible to have an opinion that goes against the 2% around here? Even with all of the attempted explanations, not one single person knows exactly what was said, or done, to cause the T. The only person that truly knows that is the ref. Any of you talk to him? I didn’t think so.

If that’s being “contrarian,” I’m pretty sure I don’t want any of you on a jury trial that I am involved in.

The only one? Yeah, that's just not true. 

CMW, A Hill, the rest of our assts, our entire bench. They all know what was said and not said. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I have no problem admitting we played really poorly in the first half, and even some really bad moments in the second half too.

Northwestern, similarly, had lots of moments of poor play. 

I fundamentally disagree with you on the techs. You're just looking at the outcome and blaming IU (we got called for techs), and that is simply not right. It was bad officiating, don't blame the victims for it. 

Ok, then you must know exactly why the ref called the tech. Please share with the rest of us.

And yeah, I’ll admit to putting some blame on the bench, because this isn’t the first time. So, point taken there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah see... no. I don't think, we don't think, Larry S has it out for Indiana at all. 

We just think he sucks at his job. Which he does. Last night was prime example. 

Yeah, that dude gets complaints from every fan base.  He doesn't necessarily have it out for Indiana but I think one thing is extremely clear, he sucks at his job.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

The only one? Yeah, that's just not true. 

CMW, A Hill, the rest of our assts, our entire bench. They all know what was said and not said. 

No, the ref is the only one that truly knows why he called that. It’s possible he had a grudge from Miller Kopp transferring. Maybe he doesn’t like the trident logo. Maybe he misheard something someone said from the bench. Or, maybe someone said something or did something that was worthy of a tech None of us know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, then you must know exactly why the ref called the tech. Please share with the rest of us.

And yeah, I’ll admit to putting some blame on the bench, because this isn’t the first time. So, point taken there.

No one knows lol.. that is the issue!! 

Larry couldn't even man up and tell Woodson why he called the technical, then flails his arm in Woodsons face and calls another tech on Woodson. It was like a f'ing comedy skit. 

• Like 2

Just now, AxnJxn said:

No, the ref is the only one that truly knows why he called that. It’s possible he had a grudge from Miller Kopp transferring. Maybe he doesn’t like the trident logo. Maybe he misheard something someone said from the bench. Or, maybe someone said something or did something that was worthy of a tech None of us know.

Did something? what from that video could be interpreted as worthy of tech? There is nothing there. 

Yup, something might have been said... but I doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Larry couldn't even man up and tell Woodson why he called the technical, then flails his arm in Woodsons face and calls another tech on Woodson. It was like a f'ing comedy skit. 

That IS the issue. I'm glad you finally admitted it. Maybe some others can take the hint.

9 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

That IS the issue. I'm glad you finally admitted it. Maybe some others can take the hint.

Well heck... why don't they always T people up for something an official can't have the decency to explain? 

I mean, if it was soooo awful and soooo clear he said it... I can't believe Woodson didn't hear it, and if he did, I can't believe he lied and pretended he didn't hear to continue to the argument. See how far fetched that sounds? 

Woodson could NOT have been closer to the official when he teed up the bench. He is sooo perplexed by the whole thing when it happens. So.. how'd Larry hear something that Woodson didn't? 

Again, either the ref is a total power tripping douche, or he has ears of the Easter Bunny, or Woodson can't hear a lick. 

One of those three things is the case. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

So instead of strawman stuff, now I’m just being contrarian? It’s not possible to have an opinion that goes against the 2% around here? Even with all of the attempted explanations, not one single person knows exactly what was said, or done, to cause the T. The only person that truly knows that is the ref. Any of you talk to him? I didn’t think so.

If that’s being “contrarian,” I’m pretty sure I don’t want any of you on a jury trial that I am involved in.

Ok this conversation is going nowhere lol. You disagree with the majority of the people here on this situation and that’s okay, no hard feelings. I respect the logical reasoning and being able to not let the emotions of the game affect your reasoning, by the way. We just happen to disagree about how much the officials impacted the game. Hopefully the game Saturday has a better outcome.

• Like 1

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

Ok this conversation is going nowhere lol. You disagree with the majority of the people here on this situation and that’s okay, no hard feelings. I respect the logical reasoning and being able to not let the emotions of the game affect your reasoning, by the way. We just happen to disagree about how much the officials impacted the game. Hopefully the game Saturday has a better outcome.

Totally on board with this, and I appreciate the respectful discourse from you and others. I do agree with some things said about the officiating last night, just not all of it, but such is life.  As Belichick would say, on to Illinois ...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Check this out.

Sorry if this has already been posted about referee, Larry Scirotto. WOW, is all I can say. Why is he even an official? After reading this article, I'm embarrassed that the BIGTEN is even employing him, let alone paying him.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/ncaa-tournament-ref-fort-lauderdale-police-chief-discriminating-white-people.html

• Like 2

I'll just continue to maintain that the poor officiating wasn't necessarily about any one particular call or missed call. 

We played terrible in the first half, but a large part of that bad play was due to how physical the officials let NW play in the first half. They were allowed to body on the perimeter, hand check, grab, slap and reach on their digs and doubles, etc., etc.

The officials set a tone for the game in the first half that favored one team. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Check this out.

Sorry if this has already been posted about referee, Larry Scirotto. WOW, is all I can say. Why is he even an official? After reading this article, I'm embarrassed that the BIGTEN is even employing him, let alone paying him.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/ncaa-tournament-ref-fort-lauderdale-police-chief-discriminating-white-people.html

Honestly, seems exactly like someone who can't handle a high pressure situation. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll just continue to maintain that the poor officiating wasn't necessarily about any one particular call or missed call. 

We played terrible in the first half, but a large part of that bad play was due to how physical the officials let NW play in the first half. They were allowed to body on the perimeter, hand check, grab, slap and reach on their digs and doubles, etc., etc.

The officials set a tone for the game in the first half that favored one team. 

Let me take this in another direction. Different officiating crew, same complaints from Purdue fans about the officials in the NU/PU game, yes? So, what gives? Is NU now the Duke of the B1G?

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Let me take this in another direction. Different officiating crew, same complaints from Purdue fans about the officials in the NU/PU game, yes? So, what gives? Is NU now the Duke of the B1G?

No, I think what gives is that Big Ten Officials are straight trash, and the way the conference promotes and allows the garbage officiating is straight trash. 

I wasn't saying the refs are somehow trying to get NW to win. They just for some inexplicable reason allowed NW to play a style in the first half that promoted and allowed extremely physical play. I don't know why, but I know it happened and it directly contributed (not the only reason) to our poor play in the first half. 

• Like 3