Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I definitely didn't sleep well last night. I can deal with the 1st half no-show, but to be down 21 pts at one point and claw all the way back to tie it...... That type of play is worthy if winning the game. They didn't play mistake free obviously, but Northwestern looked like they got hit by a train with no hope in sight. Unfortunately, a few untimely and careless t.o.'s along with a few missed free throws kept us from winning this game running away late. Just think, Galloway's laser pass to TJD that went out of bounds and JHS's crazy lob to TJD that bounced off the top of the backboard were both rushed killed runs. 

Finally, the Booee no-call on Trey was just EGREGIOUS! I bet I have watched it 10 time from different angles and in slow motion. It was 100% an offensive foul! I'm still in disbelief.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. On to Illinois. Go IU!

The laser pass was unfortunately to Tamar. If it had been TJD there I am pretty confident we get a dunk out of it but Tamar gonna Tamar. 

• Thanks 1

The block/charge on Race was clearly a block in the first half, dude isn't set nor are his shoulders square. It was correctly called, shockingly. 

Malik Reneau gets completely body blocked. That call was ignored. That was 3 points for NW. 

Illegal screen by Booey Booey gets NW a wide open midrange jumper. 2pts NW.

• Like 2

I was so disgusted at halftime that i turned it off. Sorry i missed the second half. Congrats to seniors Race, Miller and Trayce for leadership in comeback.  Wish I could have heard Woody’s halftime speech.  What an amazing turnaround.  Lastly, I love Trey’s consistent energy and aggressiveness. Great teammate.   

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Just an FYI for those saying that one play doesn't matter that much, the missed goaltending call was around 15 minutes left in the second half. We had made a small run to start the half, NU had answered back with a 3 to shut it down, their lead was at 17, that bucket would have pushed it to 19. Instead, no call, we get to run out in transition with numbers, JHS hits a 3 to cut it to 14, and the crowd is back into it.

C'mon, guys. You know better than to discount momentum in a situation like that. That play was huge for us.

As for the first half TOs, first possession, bad pass by TJD, second possession, bad pass by JHS, third possession (I think?) Race gets a block call on what looked like a pretty obvious offensive foul, a few possessions later, JHS loses the dribble with no one around him into the backcourt for a TO, a few possessions later, bad pass by Bates. I mean, I could argue that the phantom foul call on Bates was actually a blessing in disguise because it got him off the court - he was awful in the first half. We had 8 TOs in the first 11 minutes or something like that, and the majority of those weren't from fouls not being called, it was just terrible basketball on our part.

I agree with you about the goaltend being worth more than 2. Much like the Arizona game that missed goaltend call changed the game in a big way.

Mostly agree with the other examples you gave but it was an easy block call on the Race play. You have to give the offensive player space to move on the catch and he didn’t. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The block/charge on Race was clearly a block in the first half, dude isn't set nor are his shoulders square. It was correctly called, shockingly. 

Malik Reneau gets completely body blocked. That call was ignored. That was 3 points for NW. 

Illegal screen by Booey Booey gets NW a wide open midrange jumper. 2pts NW.

Clearly? Some of you guys need to strip away emotion and look at these plays objectively. Buie is set defensively, well outside the arc, Race hasn’t left his feet. I get that this is just a snap, and it’s a bang bang play, but it easily could have been called the other way. 

243819D9-79AE-4B83-ADD3-BB02D110041A.jpeg

8 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Ok so I can buy the not fully extending his arm but he clearly dipped his shoulder into Gallo’s chest. That is called 98% of the time. Don’t reward a kid for creating space by committing an offensive foul because it’s the end of the game. Reward the good defense and call something that’s clearly a foul in the rule book. 

I think refs are looking for a clear arm extension in that scenario ala the infamous Jordan push off no call - and still with an arm extended, I don’t think it will be called in that situation. And I don’t agree that call is called 98% of the time. Definitely not in the B1G unless defender sells it by deliberately falling onto his ass, which is a shame that has to happen. I agree the refs are bad, but they’re bad every night, against every team. 

I understand what everybody is saying. Should it have been called? Sure, I will concede that the lowering of the shoulder should have. BUT it’s a bang, bang play at the end of the game. We are honestly greatly over-estimating the officiating in the B1G if we think they’ll blow the whistle in that situation. I don’t think that call would be made in other conferences either. I couldn’t even count on one hand, with all the basketball that i watch, that an offense foul was called on the game winning shot against the shooter (unless the defender clearly had his feet planted and got ran over). Again, I’ll bring up Jordan v Jazz.

The point being, don’t let yourself get into those situations. Those techs shouldn’t have happened. I don’t agree that Woody needs to get a tech to motivate this team - those are arm chair tactics.  The techs hurt us and started a downward trajectory. Missing the font end of 1 and 1 hurts us. Alley oops off the top of the back board hurt us. Turnovers in transition when we had numbers hurt us. Yet, everybody seems to be dwelling on a call that’s not going to get called by blasting videos all over Twitter.

We were the better team last night, it just took us too long to get our heads out of our butts. I’d rather be talking about the great halftime adjustments made by Woody and Co. TJD not waiting on the trap to come really opened things up in the second half. I hope we play NW one more time.

Sorry for having the unpopular opinion. I’ll shut up about this now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with you about the goaltend being worth more than 2. Much like the Arizona game that missed goaltend call changed the game in a big way.

Mostly agree with the other examples you gave but it was an easy block call on the Race play. You have to give the offensive player space to move on the catch and he didn’t. 

Race takes a step before contact. Is that enough? It's a pretty subjective call, and the NU fans didn't like it at all, so I'd say it depends on who you're rooting for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Clearly? Some of you guys need to strip away emotion and look at these plays objectively. Buie is set defensively, well outside the arc, Race hasn’t left his feet. I get that this is just a snap, and it’s a bang bang play, but it easily could have been called the other way. 

Even if you're right, it's just one play.  😁

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Right, Booie is leaning in to Race and Race doesn’t have any space after the catch. That’s an easy block call. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Your picture does nothing for me. I just went and watched the replay about 100 times. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oh man.. lol that lob JHS threw at with 1:13 to go..... shew. Couldn't have been more open. sigh. 

I would venture to say he never has nor ever will make a pass as bad as that one. When it happened I was like what in the f was that? Almost laughed at how bad it was. I will say he more than made up for it rest of the game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think refs are looking for a clear arm extension in that scenario ala the infamous Jordan push off no call - and still with an arm extended, I don’t think it will be called in that situation. And I don’t agree that call is called 98% of the time. Definitely not in the B1G unless defender sells it by deliberately falling onto his ass, which is a shame that has to happen. I agree the refs are bad, but they’re bad every night, against every team. 

I understand what everybody is saying. Should it have been called? Sure, I will concede that the lowering of the shoulder should have. BUT it’s a bang, bang play at the end of the game. We are honestly greatly over-estimating the officiating in the B1G if we think they’ll blow the whistle in that situation. I don’t think that call would be made in other conferences either. I couldn’t even count on one hand, with all the basketball that i watch, that an offense foul was called on the game winning shot against the shooter (unless the defender clearly had his feet planted and got ran over). Again, I’ll bring up Jordan v Jazz.

The point being, don’t let yourself get into those situations. Those techs shouldn’t have happened. I don’t agree that Woody needs to get a tech to motivate this team - those are arm chair tactics.  The techs hurt us and started a downward trajectory. Missing the font end of 1 and 1 hurts us. Alley oops off the top of the back board hurt us. Turnovers in transition when we had numbers hurt us. Yet, everybody seems to be dwelling on a call that’s not going to get called by blasting videos all over Twitter.

We were the better team last night, it just took us too long to get our heads out of our butts. I’d rather be talking about the great halftime adjustments made by Woody and Co. TJD not waiting on the trap to come really opened things up in the second half. I hope we play NW one more time.

1 and 1s should be abolished anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I would venture to say he never has nor ever will make a pass as bad as that one. When it happened I was like what in the f was that? Almost laughed at how bad it was. I will say he more than made up for it rest of the game. 

Yeah he's converted that play idk how many times this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If it wasn’t a charge it has to be a block, no way that should be a no call. Way too much contact.

The question is was Trey in legal guarding position? To me it seems pretty clear he was, which means offensive foul. If he wasn’t legal, then it’s a block (probably on the floor in college) and NW has a 1 and 1 with like 4 seconds left. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If it wasn’t a charge it has to be a block, no way that should be a no call. Way too much contact.

The question is was Trey in legal guarding position? To me it seems pretty clear he was, which means offensive foul. If he wasn’t legal, then it’s a block (probably on the floor in college) and NW has a 1 and 1 with like 4 seconds left. 

If it was just an arm extension, I would have been okay with a play-on..  But, this was a full-fledged, lower the shoulder, knock your opponent off-balance move.  Offensive foul in the first 39:55 of every single college game played in the 21st century.  Why it wasn't a foul in the last 5 seconds of this one, only the refs know.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If it was just an arm extension, I would have been okay with a play-on..  But, this was a full-fledged, lower the shoulder, knock your opponent off-balance move.  Offensive foul in the first 39:55 of every single college game played in the 21st century.  Why it wasn't a foul in the last 5 seconds of this one, only the refs know.  

OT would have cut into their happy hour…

E8138578-5F88-4B80-8FCF-D43C80A60D94.gif

• Haha 3