Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

59 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I’m also well aware I’m in the minority with this opinion

Water under the bridge...

The one stark fact from last night is that while our chances for the Big 10 regular season title were remote, now it would take pretty much a collapse by Purdue to happen...

Just finish with a top 4 seed in the BTT is what I'm hoping for... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Larry Sirritto or however you spell his name wasn't a rude punk, and just explained himself, before just turning directly to the scorers table to call a phantom T on our bench..  

Woodson wouldn't have "touched" him. 

I get why Woody was hot and yes Scrodrotto is a d-bag punk. My point was, if he doesn't touch him, we don't get that second Tech.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Larry Sirritto or however you spell his name wasn't a rude punk, and just explained himself, before just turning directly to the scorers table to call a phantom T on our bench..  

Just "Scrotum" works... We all know who you mean🙂

Which brings me to "a technical foul on the bench." If they can't name a specific person, how do they know it was someone on the bench and not just a fan in close proximity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Which brings me to "a technical foul on the bench." If they can't name a specific person, how do they know it was someone on the bench and not just a fan in close proximity?

Surely the tech wasn’t a ghost comment assumed to be the bench? I didn’t hear that part during the game.

But imagine the NW graduate ref being offended by some ghost comment “open your eyes” that no one else heard and taking action but no one in the entire building taking action for the F U Miller chants that was heard on the TV. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I get it, beating a dead horse. But again, I think what me, @5fouls and a few others are saying is that it wasn't about a missed call here or a missed call there, or the number of free throws, etc.  

In the first half NW was allowed to play with a level or physicality that was ridiculous, and that directly had an impact on our poor play. Not the only reason for poor play, but a big reason. 

Again it's not about any one particular call. NW was allowed to hand check, body up on the perimeter, slap down and reach on our double teams/digs, etc. 

The officials allowing that physicality set the tone in the first half. It also doesn't happen in the NCAAT. 

Add to that hits on the arms when trying to pass out of double teams... If you can't follow through, the pass is always going to be short... 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The officiating sucks.  But.. sure Indiana sucked for 20 mins. 

If the officials just do their job once, the entire game, and call the absolutely most blatant push off/stiff arm/battering ram move that Booey Booey displayed on the last play... we either beat them with 4 secs to go or kick their ass in OT. 

That's BOGUS missing that call.  All 3 of them were out of position to see it, which, might p*** me off even more than not calling it to begin with. 

I definitely didn't sleep well last night. I can deal with the 1st half no-show, but to be down 21 pts at one point and claw all the way back to tie it...... That type of play is worthy if winning the game. They didn't play mistake free obviously, but Northwestern looked like they got hit by a train with no hope in sight. Unfortunately, a few untimely and careless t.o.'s along with a few missed free throws kept us from winning this game running away late. Just think, Galloway's laser pass to TJD that went out of bounds and JHS's crazy lob to TJD that bounced off the top of the backboard were both rushed killed runs. 

Finally, the Booee no-call on Trey was just EGREGIOUS! I bet I have watched it 10 time from different angles and in slow motion. It was 100% an offensive foul! I'm still in disbelief.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. On to Illinois. Go IU!

• Like 6

Just now, IUFLA said:

Add to that hits on the arms when trying to pass out of double teams... If you can't follow through, the pass is always going to be short... 

Agree. That's what I meant by slapping and reaching on their digs and double teams. That played a massive part in the game and was probably responsible for 3-5 of our turnovers. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, he did a very poor job managing that.

I get the letter of the law, but if they’re going to give a tech and use zero judgement then I really want an explanation for the Iowa game. There are so many examples of refs this year being judicious with how they enforce things on other teams but not us. It’s getting beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 4

HAAAAAAAA Booey travels from the Navy Pier to Evanston and NW got 4FTs out of it. Could not be more clear on the replay. 

Honestly.. the "contact" with the official is a bad call too. Larry S or whatever his name is literally throws his whole arm basically directly in Woodson's face. RUDE AF, that is why Woodson touched him. It was just as much to get his arm out of his face as it was to "get his attention". We got royally f***** last night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just an FYI for those saying that one play doesn't matter that much, the missed goaltending call was around 15 minutes left in the second half. We had made a small run to start the half, NU had answered back with a 3 to shut it down, their lead was at 17, that bucket would have pushed it to 19. Instead, no call, we get to run out in transition with numbers, JHS hits a 3 to cut it to 14, and the crowd is back into it.

C'mon, guys. You know better than to discount momentum in a situation like that. That play was huge for us.

As for the first half TOs, first possession, bad pass by TJD, second possession, bad pass by JHS, third possession (I think?) Race gets a block call on what looked like a pretty obvious offensive foul, a few possessions later, JHS loses the dribble with no one around him into the backcourt for a TO, a few possessions later, bad pass by Bates. I mean, I could argue that the phantom foul call on Bates was actually a blessing in disguise because it got him off the court - he was awful in the first half. We had 8 TOs in the first 11 minutes or something like that, and the majority of those weren't from fouls not being called, it was just terrible basketball on our part.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Very frustrating and disappointing game. Officiating was bad, but it’s almost always bad. We still shot more FTs, even with missing the front of one and ones. Just too many unforced TOs. That pass off the backboard with a chance to tie was just awful. We sailed several out of bounds at key times. 
NW played poorly in the second half - taking quick, bad fallaways. Credit to the Hoosiers for the effort in the comeback, but just too careless with the ball to pull out the win. 

I thought I'd be better at handling this loss but just aren't right now. The more I look at that final play the more pissed I get. I can't imagine in any game of any level where that's not a foul and directly impacted the outcome of the game. Just gets so tiring to see the little troll Scirotto get our assignments. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wasn't Scirotto part of the crew who called a T on Tamar because they thought he was taunting opponents bench when he was actually pointing at his Dad? Lots of rabbit ears and eyes with Big 10 officials.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Surely the tech wasn’t a ghost comment assumed to be the bench? I didn’t hear that part during the game.

But imagine the NW graduate ref being offended by some ghost comment “open your eyes” that no one else heard and taking action but no one in the entire building taking action for the F U Miller chants that was heard on the TV. 

I mean maybe we should just have our student section chant Big 10 refs suck for an entire game. See how quickly we get warned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't Scirotto part of the crew who called a T on Tamar because they thought he was taunting opponents bench when he was actually pointing at his Dad? Lots of rabbit ears and eyes with Big 10 officials.

I can't remember...

We seem to, as someone else said, get some weird ones... Geronimo passing the ball back to the official after a basket was a perplexing one... 

But that said, if our bench is being overly disrespectful to officials, especially assistant coaches, Woody needs to stop it... He's standing right there... If he hears it, he needs to address it... 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I actually think it’s the proper call when anyone on the bench besides the head coach gets it. We saw it earlier this year on X as well. 

• Like 1

IU could very well have had a much better first half if they hadn’t been taken out of their game plan by the refs. Every time the ball would go to TJD there would be a double and uncalled hacks and violation of his cylinder. That resulted in the bad passes out of the double. Like has been mentioned, the way NW was allowed to play haulted any chance for IU momentum.

Good teams find a way to claw back in and IU did that. Though, i thought the officiating at that point was becoming somewhat neutral. Also, Trace was better by not hesitating and waiting for the double that helped disrupt the NW defense.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get it, beating a dead horse. But again, I think what me, @5fouls and a few others are saying is that it wasn't about a missed call here or a missed call there, or the number of free throws, etc.  

In the first half NW was allowed to play with a level or physicality that was ridiculous, and that directly had an impact on our poor play. Not the only reason for poor play, but a big reason. 

Again it's not about any one particular call. NW was allowed to hand check, body up on the perimeter, slap down and reach on double teams/digs, etc. 

The officials allowing that physicality set the tone in the first half. It also doesn't happen in the NCAAT. 

Right. Before the tech there was a stretch of I think one-minute that had the Tamar foul, but also TJD getting mauled by a double and JHS getting tackled. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

(can anyone explain why we were going under the screens?

In an attempt to keep them out of the paint on the dribble attack, that won them the game.  Evidently we were OK with letting them live or die by the three.  And in the 2nd half we held them 25 points and 8/33 from deep after they started the game like 5/18 in the first half.  So 3/15 in the 2nd.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Like when that happened to Race and then they immediately called a foul on him that looked like a clean strip the next defensive possession?

• Like 3