Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

14 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Does anyone know what was actually said for the tech to be called? Because if you don't, you're just assuming things. The clip I posted is before the tech was called, so I'm not sure how anyone can conclude it was right or wrong based on that.

I do agree that the McCaffrey duo should have both gotten techs in our game, and that there seem to be inconsistencies with these situations.

There's another angle were you can see them stop talking and Scrotum waits to call it until it makes sense within the action of the play.

You are working really, really hard to excuse terrible officiating. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Does anyone know what was actually said for the tech to be called? Because if you don't, you're just assuming things. The clip I posted is before the tech was called, so I'm not sure how anyone can conclude it was right or wrong based on that.

I do agree that the McCaffrey duo should have both gotten techs in our game, and that there seem to be inconsistencies with these situations.

I don't think he called a tech for anything said at all. I think he called a tech because he determined our bench was too demonstrative. There is no one looking at Larry Siccurito there. 

He went out of his way to call a technical on Indiana. It's plain af on film. 

I mean, we can keep playing this charade of "we don't know what really went on"... or you can just simply watch the film and realize Larry S is a complete p**** and couldn't even explain to Woodson what the first technical was for BECAUSE IT WAS BOGUS. 

Either Woodson is deaf or Larry S is hearing things ORRRRRRR the technical was just because he felt the bench was too demonstrative and he got all defensive about it and had to "flex" on them and he called a tech when he shouldn't have, then compounded that issue with calling a tech on Woodson. That is the most likely scenario, especially when you factor in how poorly Larry does his job. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he called a tech for anything said at all. I think he called a tech because he determined our bench was too demonstrative. There is no one looking at Larry Siccurito there. 

He went out of his way to call a technical on Indiana. It's plain af on film. 

I mean, we can keep playing this charade of "we don't know what really went on"... or you can just simply watch the film and realize Larry S is a complete p**** and couldn't even explain to Woodson what the first technical was for BECAUSE IT WAS BOGUS. 

Either Woodson is deaf or Larry S is hearing things ORRRRRRR the technical was just because he felt the bench was too demonstrative and he got all defensive about it and had to "flex" on them and he called a tech when he shouldn't have, then compounded that issue with calling a tech on Woodson. That is the most likely scenario, especially when you factor in how poorly Larry does his job. 

This.

Good, level headed officials don't call techs in those scenarios. There was nothing over the top, and it was pretty clear to anyone watching the game, which it stands to reason Scrotum was watching, that we'd have a number of calls/no calls not go our way in the few minutes leading up to that. A good official deescalates, this was the opposite. 

• Like 6

Just now, KoB2011 said:

This.

Good, level headed officials don't call techs in those scenarios. There was nothing over the top, and it was pretty clear to anyone watching the game, which it stands to reason Scrotum was watching, that we'd have a number of calls/no calls not go our way in the few minutes leading up to that. A good official deescalates, this was the opposite. 

100%.. only other way I can see anyone getting a T in this situation is if our bench had been warned. We hadn't. 

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Frustrating to drop 2 games to Northwestern because I am still completely convinced we are the superior team.

And what's really going to stink is when tiebreakers are figured out for Big 10 Tourney seeding and I believe the first one is record vs common opponents. Losing 2 to those beatoffs is going to hurt in a few more weeks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

100%.. only other way I can see anyone getting a T in this situation is if our bench had been warned. We hadn't. 

It has been a repeated them all year with all of the weird techs we've had that refs have given us a quick T instead of having a conversation. Extremely frustrating when you see how other teams get to behave with nothing. 

• Like 1

We really haven't talked much about JHS's last shot attempt. It was such good attempt that it looked like it was going to actually bank in. If it did, game over. After the game last night, I looked over on their message board and most of the Northwestern fans were talking about how good that shot was and thought it was going in. 

That would have been one of most monumental come backs in IU history.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's another angle were you can see them stop talking and Scrotum waits to call it until it makes sense within the action of the play.

You are working really, really hard to excuse terrible officiating. 

I'm really not. I mean, look at these responses, every single one of them. All emotional, cursing, capital letters, and none having any real facts as to what was said or done to cause the tech. None. You've got people making rash conclusions from a clip I posted before the tech was even called. I mean, it's entirely possible that this ref has it out for IU. I grant you that, because I was in school for Ted Valentine in the 92 Final Four against Duke. It's also possible that this stuff seems to come up on this board all the time, and it's extremely rare to see a game where there aren't complaints about the officiating, especially in losses.

We lost a difficult game, but we lost that game because we played 20 minutes of terrible basketball, and lost our composure on a call that might not even have been a missed call. I would say that some of you are working really, really hard to excuse that poor play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This.

This x 1000

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm really not. I mean, look at these responses, every single one of them. All emotional, cursing, capital letters, and none having any real facts as to what was said or done to cause the tech. None. You've got people making rash conclusions from a clip I posted before the tech was even called. I mean, it's entirely possible that this ref has it out for IU. I grant you that, because I was in school for Ted Valentine in the 92 Final Four against Duke. It's also possible that this stuff seems to come up on this board all the time, and it's extremely rare to see a game where there aren't complaints about the officiating, especially in losses.

We lost a difficult game, but we lost that game because we played 20 minutes of terrible basketball, and lost our composure on a call that might not even have been a missed call. I would say that some of you are working really, really hard to excuse that poor play.

Yeah see... no. I don't think, we don't think, Larry S has it out for Indiana at all. 

We just think he sucks at his job. Which he does. Last night was prime example. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I don’t think anyone is claiming we played perfect or didn’t make mistakes. We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot with our poor play in the first half. But to not acknowledge or accept that the officials had any sort of influence in that is ridiculous in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

I don’t think anyone is claiming we played perfect or didn’t make mistakes. We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot with our poor play in the first half. But to not acknowledge or accept that the officials had any sort of influence in that is ridiculous in my opinion.

Ok, can you show me where i said the officials had no influence at all, especially in the first half, or where i I said we should have played perfect basketball? This is becoming a strawman-fest around here.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This.

Agreed. Unless the refs are being berated in an over the top fashion, they should avoid calling techs. Technical fouls should be used to control the game when it is getting out of hand (this could be for a variety of reasons). Refs have to realize their job is to make calls and have to game run as smooth as possible, NOT take over the game because their pride or ego is hurt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah see... no. I don't think, we don't think, Larry S has it out for Indiana at all. 

We just think he sucks at his job. Which he does. Last night was prime example. 

Ok, can you tell me what was said or done that drew the first tech? Because no one else has done that. At all. All i have seen is a lot of assumptions based on … well, nothing really. People were making assumptions based on a clip I posted that was before the tech was even called, though. Do you think that makes sense?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, can you show me where i said the officials had no influence at all, especially in the first half, or where i I said we should have played perfect basketball? This is becoming a strawman-fest around here.  

You didn’t, but I never said you did either. However, it seems that your position is trying to be a contrarian on this situation. My response is just a general statement to your position. 

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, can you tell me what was said or done that drew the first tech? Because no one else has done that. At all. All i have seen is a lot of assumptions based on … well, nothing really. People were making assumptions based on a clip I posted that was before the tech was even called, though. Do you think that makes sense?

IMO, I already answered this.... 

I think it makes a lot more sense that the official made a mistake in this instance than our bench did. Based on the film. 

Not a single one of our coaches were looking or yelling at LS. I think A Hill's last action of signaling for a travel is 100% the reason for the tech, at least to me. 

This isn't a HS bench or game where you can hear EVERYTHING.

So, either Larry S has the best set of ears on the planet, or Woodson can't hear a DAMN thing (because CMW was utterly confused by the tech, and he was RIGHT next to Larry S, and I would hope if something egregious was muttered by our bench Woodson would first extinguish that, then go after the official), ORRRRRR.... Larry S completely over reacted to A Hill being the lightest bit demonstrative in his "complaining" and that was the reason for the tech. 

This is a pretty "par for the course" type of thing that goes on with our conference's officials. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I have no problem admitting we played really poorly in the first half, and even some really bad moments in the second half too.

Northwestern, similarly, had lots of moments of poor play. 

I fundamentally disagree with you on the techs. You're just looking at the outcome and blaming IU (we got called for techs), and that is simply not right. It was bad officiating, don't blame the victims for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

You didn’t, but I never said you did either. However, it seems that your position is trying to be a contrarian on this situation. My response is just a general statement to your position. 

So instead of strawman stuff, now I’m just being contrarian? It’s not possible to have an opinion that goes against the 2% around here? Even with all of the attempted explanations, not one single person knows exactly what was said, or done, to cause the T. The only person that truly knows that is the ref. Any of you talk to him? I didn’t think so.

If that’s being “contrarian,” I’m pretty sure I don’t want any of you on a jury trial that I am involved in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2