Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

We can simultaneously say Indiana shot itself in the foot by going down 19, Mike Woodson shouldn't have touched that snowflake Scrote, the refs suck TOTAL unadulterated ass, the NW win and every win in the BIG 10 is valued less and less due to the poor refereeing, Chris Collins coached well in the first half and used the garbage refs to NW advantage, the refereeing in the BIG TEN is the main reason the BIG TEN hasn't won an Men's NCAA championship in 2 decades, BOO pushed off, smoke being shot into the air before the game ended is BS, the NW fans and all fans shouldn't being.saying "FU Miller Kopp" or to any player for that matter and Indiana did well to claw it's way out of a 19 point hole.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yah, I took your point, and I didn't word my response very well - what I was trying to say was that I was wrong to blame the bench when I don't know, and none of us know, what the tech was actually for. 

That’s fair, I’ll buy we don’t know and it’s certainly possible the first tech was warranted, even though it was improperly administered. 

6 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

We can simultaneously say Indiana shot itself in the foot by going down 19, Mike Woodson shouldn't have touched that snowflake Scrote, the refs suck TOTAL unadulterated ass, the NW win and every win in the BIG 10 is valued less and less due to the poor refereeing, Chris Collins coached well in the first half and used the garbage refs to NW advantage, the refereeing in the BIG TEN is the main reason the BIG TEN hasn't won an Men's NCAA championship in 2 decades, BOO pushed off, smoke being shot into the air before the game ended is BS, the NW fans and all fans shouldn't being.saying "FU Miller Kopp" or to any player for that matter and Indiana did well to claw it's way out of a 19 point hole.

Did I miss anything?

We’ll let you know if we think of anything else lol

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Yes, there were bad/missed calls, but we lost that game because of how we played (primarily in the first half) not because of how it was officiated.

It's been argued by @BGleas  that IU played crappy in part at least due to how unevenly the game was officiated, especially in the first half.  I don't know if he's changed his opinion after sleeping on it, but Gleas made an argument that Northwestern was allowed to play a completely different level of defense in the first half in part because of how much they were allowed to get away with.  Conversely, IU was called for some questionable fouls, particularly on a clean steal that would have been a breakaway but instead was a foul the other direction.  If a team is getting hosed to the point that they aren't allowed to play legitimate defense, while the home team is allowed to play Wisconsin-style defense with very few fouls being called, I could see an argument for the bad officiating dictating a lot of how IU was playing.

Admittedly, I'm going mostly off a poster I trust here as I watched very little of the actual game.  I DID watch that 🐎💩 last call enough to get good and pissed about how poor that particular play was officiated.  Of course, that's the play that gets the most attention since it was the game winner.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Honest question, does the BIG or any other conference have an established officiating review system or do they just wait until twitter explodes to take a look?

Nah, as long as they're making money off the product and increasingly more profits year to year this won't be a thing. If there was a Timothy Donaghy style cheating scandal then they might fix things.

Edited by SawatchHoosier

26 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I couldnt remember exactly what it was. so i listened to a bit of it just now. Something along the lines of an NBA coach coming to the college game with maybe a bit of arrogance.... and people close to the program said he needs to change his approach with officials. 

Maybe listen to it. These guys arent your typical run of the mill homers. They are usually fairly unbiased. 

I remember that episode, but don't buy that as a legit reason. Even if it is "someone close to the program" telling them that, that's still just an opinion trying to explain the bad techs this year. From what I remember about that episode, they passed it off like it was a borderline fact, which I thought was ridiculous.

Plus, it's not like there aren't other coaches in the big ten that are arrogant hotheads (looking at you Fran, Izzo, Underwood, etc.).

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I remember that episode, but don't buy that as a legit reason. Even if it is "someone close to the program" telling them that, that's still just an opinion trying to explain the bad techs this year. From what I remember about that episode, they passed it off like it was a borderline fact, which I thought was ridiculous.

Plus, it's not like there aren't other coaches in the big ten that are arrogant hotheads (looking at you Fran, Izzo, Underwood, etc.).

This stuff, in general, annoys the F out of me. LOTS of false claims floated as fact, for many different reasons. 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They don't thank god. 

They are in 4Qs and when you get to a 5th foul in that quarter, you shoot FTs. 

I'm guessing you shoot 2 FTs after the 5th foul?

I don't know... The 1-1 does at least have a strategic value... If you ever watch the 30 for 30 on the NC St run to the 83 NC, they would never have won the ACC championship without putting teams that had a lead on them on the line...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm guessing you shoot 2 FTs after the 5th foul?

I don't know... The 1-1 does at least have a strategic value... If you ever watch the 30 for 30 on the NC St run to the 83 NC, they would never have won the ACC championship without putting teams that had a lead on them on the line...

well, so? 

39 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

the refereeing in the BIG TEN is the main reason the BIG TEN hasn't won an Men's NCAA championship in 2 decades

This right here is why the "home court" crap has to go... These players get in the tournament with neutral refs, and will get fouls called on them while the fans are screaming "that was a ticky-tack foul"...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Agreed. Unless the refs are being berated in an over the top fashion, they should avoid calling techs. Technical fouls should be used to control the game when it is getting out of hand (this could be for a variety of reasons). Refs have to realize their job is to make calls and have to game run as smooth as possible, NOT take over the game because their pride or ego is hurt.

Oh it was used to control the game aright...lol

47 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Did I miss anything?

Nope

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I just don't see the point in it. And just doing something because it's always been done that way is a terrible reason. 

I'm not saying "just because it's always been done that way" I'm saying teams have employed its strategic value and pulled off unlikely wins... 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not saying "just because it's always been done that way" I'm saying teams have employed its strategic value and pulled off unlikely wins... 

When you made your original comment I first thought "It's unfair to the team being put the line that they aren't just given 2 free throws especially in the 3 point shot era." Then I thought, "well it's fair to the team that played defense so well that they aren't punished by giving up two automatic free throws." 

Now I don't know how to feel and there aren't any therapists to speak to around here.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

When you made your original comment I first thought "It's unfair to the team being put the line that they aren't just given 2 free throws especially in the 3 point shot era." Then I thought, "well it's fair to the team that played defense so well that they aren't punished by giving up two automatic free throws." 

Now I don't know how to feel and there aren't any therapists to speak to around here.

752258550_giphy(4)(5).gif.c0b77c7aa088cf006fb5c95ad2096bc3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kdug said:

not the case. go back and listen. I just listened to it again, but i am not a stenographer.

I mean all of this is speculation and none of it is facts unless you hear from the officials directly. 

media: "Ummmm yah officials. Why do you guys treat Woody and IU differently"

Officials: "Cuz we hate them. Woody is an arrogant former NBA coach."

your two paragraphs are a little contradictory. you dont buy that woody doesnt have the relationship and might be a little arrogant with the officials, and dont know how to treat them yet? But you mention 3 others that are complete hot heads that get away with a lot more. 

"there are people that are very close to the team that FEEL the same way..... needs to change his approach with officials."