Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I am a bit curious about the last possession we had after the bucket - pretty sure they had guys from their bench wander onto the court too.

I know teams typically call timeout there, but we didn't and they just had all kinds of shit going on that shouldn't be. Why is that allowed? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Based on the earlier tech on the Indiana bench Collins was worried he would get a T trying to reason with the crowd.

If Collins grabbed the mic and told the crowd to stop it, this officiating crew would have called a technical foul on Kopp for delay of game.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I asked for them to get mad and play like a top 15 team and they did. They only lost by 2 and had a major come back despite..

-bad officiating
-back to back Tech
-poor FT shooting
-untimely turnovers 

Don’t agree with most about the push off on the last play. There was barely an extension of the arm - if any - even in slow motion. No way in hell that is going to get called in that moment by any officiating crew in CBB. It was a good, cold blooded shot by Bouie. Props to him. 

We’ll be okay. 

I agree on the  We'll be ok part but barely an extension of the arm? I'd review that play buddy. Trey has inches and pounds over BB and he gets pushed by a few feet? Take another look. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Haven't seen it discussed, but why did Northwestern get 4 shots for the techs? Class B technicals are a 1 shot foul. 

Thanks for bringing that up. I noticed that during the game too but eventually forgot about it. Assuming Hummel knew what he was talking about, they should’ve only been awarded 3 shots. B1G officiating at its finest.

• Like 1

ALMOST overcame a horrible first half and 💩officiating 😳😀🤬

Trying real hard to focus on the first part of that and not the last. 

I’m not succeeding very well on that but hopefully will soon 😂

Take it out on IL Saturday (of course I’ll be at work 😡

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is it in a nutshell.  it's not about the individual calls.  It's allowing one team to get a big lead by playing outside the boundaries of the rules for a significantly long period in the first half.  I'm baffled that some people don't seem to understand that.

the fact that we played poorly in the first half was directly impacted by the fact Northwestern was allowed to play the way they did.  

I’m not sure why you think people don’t understand your point. I get what you are saying, i just don’t agree that it was that egregious, especially when people are conveniently leaving out calls that went our way - the missed call on TJD’s clear goaltending was at a big point in our comeback in the second half, for example, and I’m sure there are others. Again, we got two Ts on a missed traveling call in the first half - that’s ridiculous. 

I’m just not hip on blaming the refs when you play 20 minutes of terrible basketball and can’t keep your composure during it, especially when they missed a pretty blatant one in our favor in a key moment in the second half. And as for the “problem” with officiating being terrible in general, or favoring the home team, this isn’t new. I mean, we play in a place our opponents call the “Hall of Calls.”

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I’m not sure why you think people don’t understand your point. I get what you are saying, i just don’t agree that it was that egregious, especially when people are conveniently leaving out calls that went our way - the missed call on TJD’s clear goaltending was at a big point in our comeback in the second half, for example, and I’m sure there are others. Again, we got two Ts on a missed traveling call in the first half - that’s ridiculous. 

I’m just not hip on blaming the refs when you play 20 minutes of terrible basketball and can’t keep your composure during it, especially when they missed a pretty blatant one in our favor in a key moment in the second half. And as for the “problem” with officiating being terrible in general, or favoring the home team, this isn’t new. I mean, we play in a place our opponents call the “Hall of Calls.”

The missed goaltending was ONE call.  In the first half, the game I watched saw one team consistently crowd personal space, slap, and illegal screen themselves to a big lead.

We're talking a 2 point impact for the goaltend versus a 10+ point impact on the other crap.  

The 'math' says that's a game-changing difference.  

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The missed goaltending was ONE call.  In the first half, the game I watched saw one team consistently crowd personal space, slap, and illegal screen themselves to a big lead.

We're talking a 2 point impact for the goaltend versus a 10+ point impact on the other crap.  

The 'math' says that's a game-changing difference.  

The goaltending was in the second half at a key point in our comeback.

I just re-watched the first half, and I’m just not seeing it. One of our early possessions, i thought Race should have been called for an offensive foul and they called it a block.  The foul on Bates, admittedly a bad call, was immediately followed by a moving screen call on NU that had to be a make up call. I thought things were called pretty evenly when the infamous travel happened, and we all know what happened after that. I’m not even sure it was a travel - good angle on the replay, his pivot foot didn’t really move, but it tips over on the side of his shoe. Not sure if that’s a travel or not, and then our bench gave away 4 points because they can’t stfu.

I did think they missed a couple of fouls on TJD later in the first half, but i also saw a bunch of terrible TOs, bad shot selection, missing multiple wide open 3s (including JHS not even finding rim on one), multiple offensive rebounds given up, and leaving NU absolutely wide open on at least half a dozen 3s that they missed (can anyone explain why we were going under the screens?). IMO, we were very fortunate we weren’t down 30 at the half, and most of that was of our own doing, not the refs. 

I’m also well aware I’m in the minority with this opinion. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think the classless display by the Northwestern fans and student section should be addressed in some way. I’m all for a raucous and rowdy crowd but that was unacceptable in my opinion. It wasn’t just once either, it was throughout the game.

Cause they are a bunch of geeks and never won anything themselves they are mutching off the winners high for once in their lives they dont know how to win only at Dungeons and dragons

7 hours ago, Kdug said:

100% disagree. Can’t speak to all sports, but the NBA officiating is generally very good. Agreed with your last sentence with regards to big ten officiating though.

I guess I should not have spoken in general as I do not watch all sports. And I especially do not watch the NBA, so I defer to you for that. I guess for me I’m just tired of so many game outcomes being directly impacted by bad or missed calls. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I just re-watched the first half, and I’m just not seeing it. One of our early possessions, i thought Race should have been called for an offensive foul and they called it a block.  The foul on Bates, admittedly a bad call, was immediately followed by a moving screen call on NU that had to be a make up call. I thought things were called pretty evenly when the infamous travel happened, and we all know what happened after that. I’m not even sure it was a travel - good angle on the replay, his pivot foot didn’t really move, but it tips over on the side of his shoe. Not sure if that’s a travel or not, and then our bench gave away 4 points because they can’t stfu.

I did think they missed a couple of fouls on TJD later in the first half, but i also saw a bunch of terrible TOs, bad shot selection, missing multiple wide open 3s (including JHS not even finding rim on one), multiple offensive rebounds given up, and leaving NU absolutely wide open on at least half a dozen 3s that they missed (can anyone explain why we were going under the screens?). IMO, we were very fortunate we weren’t down 30 at the half, and most of that was of our own doing, not the refs. 

I’m also well aware I’m in the minority with this opinion. 

The officiating sucks.  But.. sure Indiana sucked for 20 mins. 

If the officials just do their job once, the entire game, and call the absolutely most blatant push off/stiff arm/battering ram move that Booey Booey displayed on the last play... we either beat them with 4 secs to go or kick their ass in OT. 

That's BOGUS missing that call.  All 3 of them were out of position to see it, which, might p*** me off even more than not calling it to begin with. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I’m also well aware I’m in the minority with this opinion

I'm with you man. We got in a big hole because of our poor play, not because of lopsided officiating. 

Way more things within our control impacted the outcome than the refs:

-Hit just 1 of our 4 wide open 3s in the first half =+3 points IU

-Get and make a bucket in just one of the 13 possessions we turned it over = +2 points IU

-Dont touch the ref when you're arguing a bad call = -2 points NW

Etc.

Yes, there were bad/missed calls, but we lost that game because of how we played (primarily in the first half) not because of how it was officiated.

• Like 5

Very frustrating and disappointing game. Officiating was bad, but it’s almost always bad. We still shot more FTs, even with missing the front of one and ones. Just too many unforced TOs. That pass off the backboard with a chance to tie was just awful. We sailed several out of bounds at key times. 
NW played poorly in the second half - taking quick, bad fallaways. Credit to the Hoosiers for the effort in the comeback, but just too careless with the ball to pull out the win. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'm with you man. We got in a big hole because of our poor play, not because of lopsided officiating. 

Way more things within our control impacted the outcome than the refs:

-Hit just 1 of our 4 wide open 3s in the first half =+3 points IU

-Get and make a bucket in just one of the 13 possessions we turned it over = +2 points IU

-Dont touch the ref when you're arguing a bad call = -2 points NW

Etc.

Yes, there were bad/missed calls, but we lost that game because of how we played (primarily in the first half) not because of how it was officiated.

If Larry Sirritto or however you spell his name wasn't a rude punk, and just explained himself, before just turning directly to the scorers table to call a phantom T on our bench..  

Woodson wouldn't have "touched" him. 

• Like 2