Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

27 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

She does not care about basketball at all, but knows I do and is very tolerant. However, this is her birthday weekend and  the entire weekend is all about her. She calls the shots. So, she gets to pick where we go for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I can’t veto her selections. 

She’s a big foodie and culture person, so always has a list of places she wants to go to. It’s tough here, when there are so many places that we haven’t been to. Luckily, she has excellent tastes and where she picks, I’ll be pretty happy. 

The closer is this though. She knew I had this game and the IU women’s game to watch today, so she got tickets to a Broadway matinee this afternoon. I just have to remain sober enough to meet her at her evening place today - the lobby of the famous Chelsea Hotel that’s been reopened. 

You are a saint. Your description is exactly why I bought a "vaca" house in Alabama, 700 miles from home (bloomington'ish), so I could also enjoy life during "her" birthday year. It's been glorious, and I haven't done the first damn thing that I didn't plan myself.  :)

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hasn’t been much discussion of the officials, but can I just say how much the play they reviewed the Race foul pissed me off?

Race guarded Edey at the free throw line and got moved off of his spot a good 8-10 feet, which is a foul. Then Race made a good, hard foul and Purdue whined and whined to the point of a review which resulted in nothing. I’m all for granting a review when a team asks, but I think it should open the entire play up to review then. Call the damn offensive foul that occurred first. 

The Race kicking the ball out clearly and them giving Purdue a free timeout to review it was worse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Going to be honest, didn’t really think we had much of a shot in this one. With the inconsistency and then it being a revenge game for Purdue of sorts, just felt like a lot of things were stacked against the team.

To me, there is nothing better than being proven wrong when I doubt this team. With the injuries this team has had and is having, can’t believe how good this team still can be. 

I share the same sentiments....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Impressive performance. Purdue's young guards seem to have run smack into that freshman wall. They are fortunate for the easy conference schedule to be able to still be on top.

They’ve taken care of business against those they should have. We had that stretch early January that cost us a B1G title…but I’m not taking anything away from them. They’ve been really good against everyone not named IU and NW.

16 hours ago, Inequality said:

Stuck in Tokyo longer than expected. Haven’t been able to watch yet or read the game thread. I hear Jalen was fantastic. Great to hear. That made me remember the preseason Jalen VS Braden argument that was laughable. 

I look forward to watching. Enjoy the rest of your night folks. 

I think it has always been Smith vs Cupp and that won’t be determined til next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Appreciate the feedback. Just looking at a 6'5 Jalen vs 6'2 Ja who played 2 years at Murray St. If he was so special (and I don't know the answer) why didn't he leave early?

He deferred as a freshman. He had a couple senior guards he played with and he fed them all year. Lots of assists but he was already making plays that made you say damn that kid is going to be great. That team was loaded with solid guards and honestly I think he was young 18 and he was still growing into his body. Jalen has him there for sure…but man as soon as that team was turned over to Ja…wow he took off. Obviously he was playing at a much lower level so there were questions but I don’t doubt he could have gone 2nd round. Anyways both are great players and no disrespect to Jalen…he keeps working on that 3 and he will have a long nba career.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think about 8:32 CST my wife texted my 3 girls and said, "if there's anything you want, ask him now because they just beat Purdue." 🙂

Too funny! My wife videoed me several times during the last seconds of games and sent them to my daughters. When the games are close and with about 2 + minutes left, I'm up off the recliner, face in front of the big screen, about to have a melt down. I seriously look and act like I'm seven years old. I can't help it! lol.....

I find what works best and gives IU the best luck, is when I'm acting a fool, while holding my Dachshund. It's ridiculous, actually. I can't help it. Please,....this just stays between us! lol 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Too funny! My wife videoed me several times during the last seconds of games and sent them to my daughters. When the games are close and with about 2 + minutes left, I'm up off the recliner, face in front of the big screen, about to have a melt down. I seriously look and act like I'm seven years old. I can't help it! lol.....

I find what works best and gives IU the best luck is when I'm acting a fool while holding my Dachshund. It's ridiculous, actually. I can't help it. Please,....this just stays between us! lol 

You know that she sends All of us those videos too, right? 
keep it up man!!! 😎

• Haha 3

On 2/26/2023 at 12:50 AM, IUfaninIllinois said:

Gillis is probably my least favorite player in college basketball.

He's getting there, and might top the rankings he mattered on the court at all. We've played them twice, and the only times I ever remember seeing Gillis is when he was being fake tough off the clock.

He also blew a .272 during a DUI arrest. Seriously, read the whole thing. You won't be at all surprised to learn this kid is a belligerent drunk:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2021/07/15/dui-charge-filed-against-purdue-basketball-player-mason-gillis/7983128002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/26/2023 at 1:31 AM, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yep sure did…. Also I don’t think it’s mentioned enough but when Edey turns towards the basket to shoot is it just me or does he use his big body to create separation because he can’t jump high but I feel like he does it Illegally and it’s an offensive foul like 80% of the time.

Edey uses his elbow to clear space every time he touches the ball. It's not malicious, he's just built on a different scale, but it's a foul at least half the time and if you're not going to call them there's not much of a way to play defense.

He also uses his lower body to move the defender well out of established position. We've been taught that's what basketball is, especially in the Big Ten, but imagine a defender doing to that to a player with the ball and it just looks silly.

Edey seems like a good kid and I don't blame him for acting surprised when he does get called. To be fair to him, those calls have been rarely made all year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

He's getting there, and might top the rankings he mattered on the court at all. We've played them twice, and the only times I ever remember seeing Gillis is when he was being fake tough off the clock.

He also blew a .272 during a DUI arrest. Seriously, read the whole thing. You won't be at all surprised to learn this kid is a belligerent drunk:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2021/07/15/dui-charge-filed-against-purdue-basketball-player-mason-gillis/7983128002/

Thanks for the reminder.  What a douche canoe.

7 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I find what works best and gives IU the best luck, is when I'm acting a fool, while holding my Dachshund. It's ridiculous, actually. I can't help it. Please,....this just stays between us! lol 

I know the feeling….my wife asked me several times during the game….”are you Ok?”

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don't even get that.... I happen to look over at her after an awesome play and she is quietly videoing me with her phone, silently laughing.....🙄😆

I have heart surgery scheduled at the end of the March. On my last visit with the surgeon, I was instructed to avoid stress. Obviously, he has no idea what it’s like to be an IU basketball fan!

• Like 5