Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

14 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I was waiting for that run to happen too. JHS was a man on a fooking mission though. Also A lot of people hate on Kopp but we will truly miss him next year more than people realize 

I think we will have someone step into that role. Not sure who it will be..but we are going to get much more athletic on the wing…just worry about our shooting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When he committed to Purdue, Edey wasn't a thing.  So, that part is understandable.  But, the Furst thing is what surprised me.  

Well given Archie’s track record would you have went to be developed by him? Totally would have made sense to play in Woodys offense…spacing the floor for Trayce this year.

• Like 1

Going to be honest, didn’t really think we had much of a shot in this one. With the inconsistency and then it being a revenge game for Purdue of sorts, just felt like a lot of things were stacked against the team.

To me, there is nothing better than being proven wrong when I doubt this team. With the injuries this team has had and is having, can’t believe how good this team still can be. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Virginia and Miami both lost so I think we pass both of them so should be #1 or #2 4 seed at very worst. We have to win these last two at home though. We can’t play how we played vs Illinois at home and expect to win against those two teams 

And the fact that UNC was the one who beat VA can’t hurt. Back on the bubble. 

• Like 2

Just got to sit down and watch the game now. With the knowledge that we won, so not needing to sweat every call, I didn't think the officiating was too bad until the last 8 minutes or so. From then on, they, Edey in particular, got away with a lot of contact down low on both ends - we got away with nothing.

Up until this point, the difference between JHS having a good game and a bad one was mostly just whether his long jumpers went in. Last night, he really attacked the lane and got a lot of great looks for true mid-range (not long 2's). Edey's lack of defense is probably enough for me to think he does not deserve player of the year. I'll give him offensive player of the year, but not overall. JHS has always been so smooth with the ball, but it didn't often create anything - last night it did. If he can play with that level of aggression while still having that shot selection, we are going to be real good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

We’ll get help through the portal.

Ehh hard to recruit these high profile recruits if they see we are going to stack veterans ahead of them from elsewhere. Also hard to hold onto our own guys whose time it will be to see the floor. Gunn, Bates, and Trey should suffice for shooting…plus spot play Leal.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Jackson also called him JORDAN Hood-Schifino at one point.  I'm assuming that was because he actually did not know Jalen's name versus comparing him to MJ.  

And, Gus made me a little mad when he called Purdue fans the best in college basketball.  

Or maybe because like MJ he dominated the mid game. His jumper was money last night.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ehh hard to recruit these high profile recruits if they see we are going to stack veterans ahead of them from elsewhere. Also hard to hold onto our own guys whose time it will be to see the floor. Gunn, Bates, and Trey should suffice for shooting…plus spot play Leal.

I think that may not be true. It's about the message delivered from THE CMW, to them. Pumpin rah rah Cal crap, nah. Sound accurate advise and plan from a multi decade successful NBA "Grandpa" kind of calming voice from THE CMW, that's different. 

4 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Matt Painter is why I dislike UK on a different level than Purdue. Class act, quality person…. tough to dislike.

During the Archie era I was quite envious of our friends to the north…still think he is a good guy but no longer quite so jealous. I do love he recruits Indiana well but you do see some of the limitations in his roster.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Normally, I’d agree, but assuming JHS leaves early, we lose our entire starting 5 (including XJ), with only two recruits coming in. We’ll have to look to the portal to fill out the roster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

They still aren't growing. Big guards will always beat them. Even good shooters miss open looks.

They may not be growing…but we aren’t going to have JHS next year. We will have our own little guard. Just saying there are weaknesses in every roster…that backcourt is only going to get better though.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say a taller Ja' Morant and honestly better at the same time...and the fact that JHS is only 19 makes it all the more special. 

He is not better than Ja was. Even as a freshman Ja was special but he was on a very veteran guard heavy team and didn’t have to carry them. Watched Ja in person several times at Murray St. everyone knew how good he was going to be. Jalen is an nba caliber player but he doesn’t have near Jas athleticism and he is a very very streaky shooter. Don’t get me wrong…glad we have him but Ja was just a different kinda special.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He is not better than Ja was. Even as a freshman Ja was special but he was on a very veteran guard heavy team and didn’t have to carry them. Watched Ja in person several times at Murray St. everyone knew how good he was going to be. Jalen is an nba caliber player but he doesn’t have near Jas athleticism and he is a very very streaky shooter. Don’t get me wrong…glad we have him but Ja was just a different kinda special.

Appreciate the feedback. Just looking at a 6'5 Jalen vs 6'2 Ja who played 2 years at Murray St. If he was so special (and I don't know the answer) why didn't he leave early?

Edited by Seeking6

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

So the wife hates basketball and made you take her out....:coffee::cheers:

She does not care about basketball at all, but knows I do and is very tolerant. However, this is her birthday weekend and  the entire weekend is all about her. She calls the shots. So, she gets to pick where we go for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I can’t veto her selections. 

She’s a big foodie and culture person, so always has a list of places she wants to go to. It’s tough here, when there are so many places that we haven’t been to. Luckily, she has excellent tastes and where she picks, I’ll be pretty happy. 

The closer is this though. She knew I had this game and the IU women’s game to watch today, so she got tickets to a Broadway matinee this afternoon. I just have to remain sober enough to meet her at her evening place today - the lobby of the famous Chelsea Hotel that’s been reopened. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Ja might be the only person on the planet capable of beating Mac McClung in a dunk contest.  Ja is super superior athletically to almost every other human on the planet.  I'm not sure if there are any tangible lists ever created but I'd put Ja on a top 5 most pure athletic dudes I can think of.  Like Usain Bolt to start.  

• Like 1