Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

A masterful game by JHS.  It was just not the scoring, but the way he controlled the pace and played defense.  Enjoy him now because if he keeps playing this way we won't see him next year unless we are watching the NBA.

MK is an underappreciated player.  I think we can get him more good 3 looks.

Gallo is like a bumblebee, scientifically he shouldn't be able to do what he does, but he just keeps on doing it.  He really skied on that missed dunk, but I thought Edey fouled him.

Race just keeps on chugging.  A good game for him even though he didn't have a lot of numbers.

TJD showed he is a very mature player.  Purdue took him out of the game scoring wise, but he took what he could get and played great defense.

The mystery card is X.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yep sure did…. Also I don’t think it’s mentioned enough but when Edey turns towards the basket to shoot is it just me or does he use his big body to create separation because he can’t jump high but I feel like he does it Illegally and it’s an offensive foul like 80% of the time.

Edey is a one-trick pony and a new enough phenomenon that teams are still figuring out how to defend him.  Beyond that, teams are also figuring out that there's not enough around him to beat you.  Let Edey get his and focus on harassing the young backcourt and guarding the arc.  As the talent gets better, Edey's simplistic repertoire will be easy to scout and not particularly hard to defend.  That's why you really don't see him show up much in the mock drafts.  He makes for a pretty weak NPOY if he gets it.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, slojoe said:

A masterful game by JHS.  It was just not the scoring, but the way he controlled the pace and played defense.  Enjoy him now because if he keeps playing this way we won't see him next year unless we are watching the NBA.

MK is an underappreciated player.  I think we can get him more good 3 looks.

Gallo is like a bumblebee, scientifically he shouldn't be able to do what he does, but he just keeps on doing it.  He really skied on that missed dunk, but I thought Edey fouled him.

Race just keeps on chugging.  A good game for him even though he didn't have a lot of numbers.

TJD showed he is a very mature player.  Purdue took him out of the game scoring wise, but he took what he could get and played great defense.

The mystery card is X.

Yes on JHS...might be playing himself into a lottery pick.  Great for him and great for IU/coach Woodson.  Should definitely help recruiting.

Agree on Kopp...looks better and better as the season progresses.

Love Galloway...definitely undervalued coming out of high school.

Race and Malik weren't sensational but provided much-needed depth.

I swear I read that TJD was ill/under the weather?  Aside from the foul trouble, that would explain a lot.

I'd be very surprised if IU  gets much at all from X, unfortunately.  Not only will he be rusty and out of shape if he makes it back, if history is any guide, X is a slow starter.  Even when he's in game shape, he tends to get better as the season progresses.  Given how long he's been out, my expectations for him are zero to very low.

Frustrating to me that Geronimo and Bates are such zeros.  I really expected them both to be a more significant part of the rotation by now.

• Like 3

I already didn't like Edey because purdue but he slid solidly into the #1 least favorite player spot. Dude bullies his way around because he's big and gets away with it. Then plows TJD and gets called for a charge and throws his arms up whines like a B about it. I hope he takes a basketball to his suckhole. 

Was a fun game to watch!  Really like watching Trey. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean we probably deserve a little more credit than this....

Yep.  The game plan worked.  Woodson had the guy he wanted taking the shot they wanted.  If another team was asking Race to beat us from 3 and he shot his normal percentage from there, we did not go cold, their game plan worked.

As far as JHS goes, he has a midrange game.  Having an immobile big that camps in the lane suits his game and Woodson rode that to the finish line.  Pick and roll and pull up short of driving to the basket for a 10 to 12 footer over and over.

Purdue did not just go cold.  Woodson had a good game plan and Indiana's player's executed it.  All credit to Indiana from bench to players on this one.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yep sure did…. Also I don’t think it’s mentioned enough but when Edey turns towards the basket to shoot is it just me or does he use his big body to create separation because he can’t jump high but I feel like he does it Illegally and it’s an offensive foul like 80% of the time.

It isn't just you.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Some issues that need to be addressed 

Woodson can’t coach

Woodson can’t recruit

TJD has progressively gotten worse each year

There are no shooters on the team

Woodson is no Juwan Howard (He is the outlier)

Need to add;

The mid range jumper is the lowest efficiency shot in the game, we need to stop taking them! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The best was when Edey shoved his shoulder and arm into TJDs chest and knocked him backwards and drew an offensive foul. He looked shocked and reacted to the official like "that hasn't been called all year". 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Btownstrength said:

[Spears] Race Thompson yelled, "There you go!" Miller Kopp gave a look of pleasant surprise. Tamar Bates belted, "We got a f***ing squad now." And before Trayce Jackson-Davis hit the locker room door, ex-Hoosier star Cody Zeller hugged him & said, "Y'all look so different."

Zeller was there?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Every dang time

• Like 2