Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched all the post game comments this morning... But I thought the most interesting one was Matt Painter...

About the halfway mark, he's asked about the rivalry. He said something to the effect that he's had opportunities to leave, but if he did, he'd never get to experience walking into Assembly Hall as the coach of Purdue, and as an Indiana kid, that was important to him... 

Very honest all the way through... I might despise the Boilermakers, but Painter is a great coach and a class act... 

With the exception of Gillis pregame stuff and maybe Edey I don't really have a problem with their team nor Painter. He's solid.

Regarding game. For a Coach to put that much on a freshman in a road rivalry game and that player delivers? Shows the trust and faith Woodson has in his sets he runs for JHS.

Only positives this morning. Off night for TJD and he messed around and almost had a triple double. Trey Galloway probably would be 6th man of the year nationally if he wasn't starting because of X.  Despite their 20+ more FTA their run actually never came. Was waiting and waiting and nada.

One other thing. This isn't a bash on Smith or Loyer. Good players...but it showed itself once again what size at the guard position does. 

Finally JHS. Mature and smooth beyond your 19 years. Shoot he's playing himself into Pacers conversation. Phenomenal/special talent. Even if for one year his legacy is cemented with a game like that.

• Like 7

The game down to IU role players out playing Purdue role players and IU having 2 star players and Purdue having one star to play thru.  Purdue took away TJD and IU has a second play maker and shot taker. Purdue doesn’t have anyone outside of Edey that can be a star. 

Kopp, Galloway and Thompson came to play. Even bates was fired up on the defensive end.  When we get that kind of effort and knock down shots by that group this team is very good. 

keep winning and play for seeding. Would love to get to a 3 seed

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The best was when Edey shoved his shoulder and arm into TJDs chest and knocked him backwards and drew an offensive foul. He looked shocked and reacted to the official like "that hasn't been called all year". 

Yep. He literally makes the same move with his elbow into the shoulder every time but because he’s so big and slow it’s not as noticeable in real time or the reds just let him get away with it because he’s consistently doing it. I compare it to a pitcher balking every time but it’s not called because he’s doing it the same every time even though umps by rule can see it’s a balk 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With the exception of Gillis pregame stuff and maybe Edey I don't really have a problem with their team nor Painter. He's solid.

Regarding game. For a Coach to put that much on a freshman in a road rivalry game and that player delivers? Shows the trust and faith Woodson has in his sets he runs for JHS.

Only positives this morning. Off night for TJD and he messed around and almost had a triple double. Trey Galloway probably would be 6th man of the year nationally if he wasn't starting because of X.  Despite their 20+ more FTA their run actually never came. Was waiting and waiting and nada.

One other thing. This isn't a bash on Smith or Loyer. Good players...but it showed itself once again what size at the guard position does. 

Finally JHS. Mature and smooth beyond your 19 years. Shoot he's playing himself into Pacers conversation. Phenomenal/special talent. Even if for one year his legacy is cemented with a game like that.

Yeah what was up with this anyways?

82F400B2-55BB-47E0-9F13-F03A272A61B5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

The game down to IU role players out playing Purdue role players and IU having 2 star players and Purdue having one star to play thru.  Purdue took away TJD and IU has a second play maker and shot taker. Purdue doesn’t have anyone outside of Edey that can be a star. 

Kopp, Galloway and Thompson came to play. Even bates was fired up on the defensive end.  When we get that kind of effort and knock down shots by that group this team is very good. 

Why do I always forget Kopp in my comments....phenomenal game on both ends and he's delivering from 3. Just like TJD asked him 3 games ago to shoot it more.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Glad you mentioned Bates. He took pride in his D and had one real shut down possession 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because of the stage everything gets magnified but 17-4 out of the halftime gates? Punched Purdue hard and they were dazed the rest of the way. And it was 2 3's, 1 jumper by Trey, 1 3 pointer by Kopp, 2 layups by Race and 1 JHS jumper. All of that without TJD. 

I think TJD had 4 assists in that sequence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I watched all the post game comments this morning... But I thought the most interesting one was Matt Painter...

About the halfway mark, he's asked about the rivalry. He said something to the effect that he's had opportunities to leave, but if he did, he'd never get to experience walking into Assembly Hall as the coach of Purdue, and as an Indiana kid, that was important to him... 

Very honest all the way through... I might despise the Boilermakers, but Painter is a great coach and a class act... 

The difference in Painter and a coach like Izzo is night and day. All the respect to Coach Painter. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Impressive performance. Purdue's young guards seem to have run smack into that freshman wall. They are fortunate for the easy conference schedule to be able to still be on top.

And they’re fortunate for IU’s injuries, particularly Race. We win the conference outright without that. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And they’re fortunate for IU’s injuries, particularly Race. We win the conference outright without that. 

Posted a stat in another thread.. We've had to play all 6 of the other top 7 teams in the B1G... on the road... 

We are 3-3 in those games. One loss being Iowa, one loss being NW. We are 5-1 in those games with XJ. 

But, maybe the craziest part is how unequal(just pointing out, it's not an excuse) the schedule has been by having to play all 6 of those teams on the road. 

I would imagine the committee sees that and will look at 3-3 in those games, favorably. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3