B1G Tournament Thread

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Go Buckeyes.  It's not that I'm afraid to play Purdue again, or want OSU on game 5 in as many days.  I just hate Purdue.  Go Buckeyes.  

It’s really hard to beat a team three times in a season, but I do think we match up well with Purdue. I don’t care either way, really. BUT, an IU/PU B1G Final would result in a lot of eyeballs watching our team right before the NCAAT. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s really hard to beat a team three times in a season, but I do think we match up well with Purdue. I don’t care either way, really. BUT, an IU/PU B1G Final would result in a lot of eyeballs watching our team right before the NCAAT. 

I saw a stat the other day that refutes the being hard to beat a team 3 times. Can't remember the actual percentage but it was around 65% of the time the team to win the first two wins the third.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I saw a stat the other day that refutes the being hard to beat a team 3 times. Can't remember the actual percentage but it was around 65% of the time the team to win the first two wins the third.

I saw that too, but I was thinking it was higher than 65%.  I wonder when you dive into the numbers how many top team in the conference vs. bottom team in the conference scenarios play into whatever the percentage is.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It's hard to beat a GOOD team then.  The 65% stat is inflated by teams beating up on Louisville level competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Hard to beat a primetime IU/PU III Showdown for a Conference Championship on national TV when everyone is watching.

I know it's one game at a time, but that would be electric.

Hummel pretty much said the same last night at the end of the IU game.  My first thought was that he was correct, but as BTN's #1 analyst, he probably should not say that.  Then, I realized the weekend games are on CBS, so it's a little better since he won't actually be on the call.  But, still, if I'm the OSU or PSU coaches/players, that would not sit well with me.  

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2023-march-madness-men-field-predictions

Still has us as a 4 seed but changed us to the West region. I can't see why Tennessee is still on the 3 line because they haven't played well lately and lost one of their best players.  Maybe if we win the BTT we could knock them down 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do believe PSU recently beat the Illini for a 3rd time. Some teams just don’t match up well,

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hummel pretty much said the same last night at the end of the IU game.  My first thought was that he was correct, but as BTN's #1 analyst, he probably should not say that.  Then, I realized the weekend games are on CBS, so it's a little better since he won't actually be on the call.  But, still, if I'm the OSU or PSU coaches/players, that would not sit well with me.  

One of the best parts about Hummel as an analyst is his use of common sense. I get that he has to be impartial in his role, but at the end of the day he's human and not a robot, so it's nice to hear commentary that is honest if not obvious.

If you took these exact same four teams and swapped football for basketball, the answers would be opposite. It's not a slight, just fact.

Come on IU & PU, GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

BUT, an IU/PU B1G Final would result in a lot of eyeballs watching our team right before the NCAAT. 

I know that’s conventional wisdom, but I wonder if an OSU/IU game would bring higher ratings. The IU//PU game would be big in IN, but OSU has a much larger fan base than PU. OSU win and in is a more interesting story to the casual fan. 

• Like 3