Transfers with IU Interest

Just now, btownqb said:

I never said he wasn't. I don't think he will be a below average defender here, though. We have very, very few of those.

Really? I think IU had plenty of average to below average defenders last year. Luckily, TJD's elite rim protecting abilities eased a lot of those issues but simply put, IU was a very poor rebounding team and very poor at guarding the 3 point line. when IU lost last year, they generally lost by a lot and a lot of it had to do with giving up second chance points and inability to guard the perimeter. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

No one is saying that DRtg is the only or perfect way to measure an individuals defensive abilities. But when your Drtg has been as bad as Battle's has been throughout his collegiate career, it's telling.

Like I said, the next person who characterizes Battle as a good or an even average defender will also be the first. 

Again, a DRtg mostly just tells you whether your team was good or bad on defense. Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith both had better defensive ratings than Trey Galloway this year. I'd argue both are worse defenders, but Purdue's defense as a whole was just better than IU's this year.

That's not to say Battle isn't a bad defender, just that DRtg is a very bad supporting statistic for individual defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

It has nothing to do with height. Omier is vastly more athletic and stronger player than Malik and can play above the rim. And I'm not sure Miami is the example you want to use considering they are a sub-100 KenPom DEff team. Yes having a top 10 Offense helps offset bad defensive play, but adding Jamison Battle likely doesn't move the needle in offensive efficiency for Indiana as he is a very inefficient player.

Battle is a very poor defender and rebounder and Malik doesn't have elite rim protecting skills. That's why it is a bad combination.

Oh it's the exact team I want to use then lol ..... look how absolutely irrelevant these stats are if a team in the "100s" can be in the F4. EXACT team I want to use. Omier can not play above the rim. Omier nor Miller protect the rim overly well. Malik can avg 1.2 blocks a game if given 29mpg, easy. 

Back to the offensive efficiency numbers that he WON'T average at Indiana. Ok man. 

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

I hope the visit goes well. He definitely adds a level of scoring this team needs next year. I will however very disappointed and very concerned next year if he is the starting four man playing close to 20 mpg. 

It'll be closer to 30-32 mpg, hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Really? I think IU had plenty of average to below average defenders last year. Luckily, TJD's elite rim protecting abilities eased a lot of those issues but simply put, IU was a very poor rebounding team and very poor at guarding the 3 point line. when IU lost last year, they generally lost by a lot and a lot of it had to do with giving up second chance points and inability to guard the perimeter. 

No, we buy into the team concept. Average isn't poor. If we had our best perimeter defender... probably end up Top 30 on KenPom defensively. 

We weren't poor at guarding the 3pt line, factually speaking. The bold is true, though.... but has nothing to do with NOT adding Battle. 

Below average defenders on last years team? Malik and JG. That is who I think was a poor defender. Maliks issues will go away when he's guarding the correct position and spends a year in the weight room. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

My preference when it comes to the big nen we are looking at. 

1) Shederick from UVA 

2) Ledlum from Harvard 

3) Battle Minnesota 

4) IKe Wyoming 

5) Sparks BSU 

I wish that Love could come here and play under control because he is the kind of scoring threat we need from the perimeter

Just now, btownqb said:

Oh it's the exact team I want to use then lol ..... look how absolutely irrelevant these stats are if a team in the "100s" can be in the F4. EXACT team I want to use. Omier can not play above the rim. Omier nor Miller protect the rim overly well. Malik can avg 1.2 blocks a game if given 29mpg, easy. 

Back to the offensive efficiency numbers that he WON'T average at Indiana. Ok man. 

You're assuming that IU has the personnel next year to be as offensively efficient as this years Miami team. That's not going to happen with Battle and Malik next year. Miami is in the F4 in spite of their defensive metrics, primarily because of their ability to spread the floor and shoot the ball with high levels of efficiency. 

Your assessment of Omier couldn't be more wrong. Elite defender and one of the best rebounders in the entire country. 

• Like 2

Just now, Reacher said:

That is my thought as well. Do you think the in home with Battle is because the staff didn't get a positive reaction from Ledlum?

No. I just think college kids can change their mind at any second so staff is reaching out/visiting multiple players in the portal to be smart.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I never said he wasn't. I don't think he will be a below average defender here, though. We have very, very few of those. 

I think Zeisloft was an average at worst defender, but by the end, I thought he was above average. 

Sounds like Lake Wobegon, where all of the children are above average.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

You're assuming that IU has the personnel next year to be as offensively efficient as this years Miami team. That's not going to happen with Battle and Malik next year. Miami is in the F4 in spite of their defensive metrics, primarily because of their ability to spread the floor and shoot the ball with high levels of efficiency. 

Your assessment of Omier couldn't be more wrong. Elite defender and one of the best rebounders in the entire country. 

Rebounder does NOT equal "above the rim"..

TJD was above the rim. Omier is not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. He's the only one that sucked at Minnesota. 

He's the only player that has started the last two years for them. I don't know what else you want me to tell you?

He's an inefficient chucker who doesn't play defense. IU doesn't need an inefficient chucker next year who doesn't play good defense for 30-32 minutes.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He's the only player that has started the last two years for them. I don't know what else you want me to tell you?

He's an inefficient chucker who doesn't play defense. IU doesn't need an inefficient chucker next year who doesn't play good defense for 30-32 minutes.

But, regularly none of that would happen at Indiana. Plus.. big time skill set. 

17 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Again, a DRtg mostly just tells you whether your team was good or bad on defense. Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith both had better defensive ratings than Trey Galloway this year. I'd argue both are worse defenders, but Purdue's defense as a whole was just better than IU's this year.

That's not to say Battle isn't a bad defender, just that DRtg is a very bad supporting statistic for individual defense.

That’s hard to believe 

Defense is basically two things imho 

1.  Effort 

B.  Knowing where you are supposed to be….scouting report.

ivey is a perfect example of a long athletic player who sucked on defense because he did neither 

• Like 2