2023-24 Big 10 Predictions

IUFLA

Trayce had some fine perspective just a week ago...

“I would say probably beating Purdue at Purdue was probably my favorite (memory),” Jackson-Davis told Alexander Scott.  “Just because the look on their faces at Mackey (Arena) was really funny.

“Everyone was talking about how we’re probably going to get them at Assembly Hall, but that they still had to come see us at Mackey. We were like alright, bet. That was that, but I thought that was really a great experience, probably one of my favorite memories. Seeing the look on their faces was priceless.”

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How are we at a coaching disadvantage?

Well.. we beat you twice without our starting PG last year, and one of those was a trashing on your home court, two years ago we beat you while TJD scored 4pts with a team that played M Durr, P Stewart, and Rob Phin significant mins. 

The absolute only way you're able to run consistent offense is through your 7'4 monstrosity, Loyer, Smith, Gillis none of them do squart against us. 

I think Painter is a solid college coach, at that's about the extent of it.  

Plus I've watched you, I think, 3 different times, maybe 4, lose to teams in the ncaat that you were double digit favorites to. 

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well.. we beat you twice without our starting PG last year, and one of those was a trashing on your home court, two years ago we beat you while TJD scored 4pts with a team that played M Durr, P Stewart, and Rob Phin significant mins. 

The absolute only way you're able to run consistent offense is through your 7'4 monstrosity, Loyer, Smith, Gillis none of them do squart against us. 

I think Painter is a solid college coach, at that's about the extent of it.  

Plus I've watched you, I think, 3 different times, maybe 4, lose to teams in the ncaat that you were double digit favorites to. 

I mean the main reason we lost both games last year is because we game planned to let JHS take mid-range jumpers and to his credit, he hit a lot of them those two games. You play the odds there and unfortunately for us, he was hot both games. The game plan was correct. 

It’s not the only way we can run offense but it’s the most effective so why try something else when you have a cheat code at center. Loyer and Smith were true freshmen last year and will improve. 

Woodson is a solid coach no doubt but he’s not better than Painter IMO. JHS was the difference maker in the two games last year.

The tournament losses to double digit seeds have to stop I’ll give you that. I like the new guys that were added this year and hopefully the added athleticism can help us out a bit. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean the main reason we lost both games last year is because we game planned to let JHS take mid-range jumpers and to his credit, he hit a lot of them those two games. You play the odds there and unfortunately for us, he was hot both games. The game plan was correct. 

It’s not the only way we can run offense but it’s the most effective so why try something else when you have a cheat code at center. Loyer and Smith were true freshmen last year and will improve. 

Woodson is a solid coach no doubt but he’s not better than Painter IMO. JHS was the difference maker in the two games last year.

The tournament losses to double digit seeds have to stop I’ll give you that. I like the new guys that were added this year and hopefully the added athleticism can help us out a bit. 

🙄The game plan was not correct if you lose while supposedly having more talent. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

🙄The game plan was not correct if you lose while supposedly having more talent. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We didn’t have anyone remotely at the level of JHS. Edey and TJD cancelled each other out but our guards couldn’t stop JHS. That was the difference. Wasn’t a game plan issue it was a guard talent/ability issue. 

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So a coach who sticks with a game plan which isn't working in two separate games isn't getting out coached? If the same game plan doesn't work both times it is utilized is it really a good game plan?

Coaches come up with the game plans and make adjustments as needed. Failing to do so would indicate he was outcoached in both games. So head-to-head against Painter, it would appear that Woodson is the better coach. The above examples from last year plus 3-1 overall in favor of Woodson and very close to 4-0.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What?!?!?!?! You game planned to allow an NBA 1st rd draft pick to get to the spots on the floor that he scores at the best and you don't think you're at a coaching deficiency when you play us!?!?! 

"He hit a lot in those games".. he hit a lot of them all year!

Matt Painter isn't sniffed at as an NBA option at HC. There's a difference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2