2023-24 Big 10 Predictions

IUFLA

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I hadn't heard of (or thought of) DGL in a while so I looked to see where he finished. His ranking dropped like a rock. From top 10 to a 3*. Wow. So you may be giving him too much credit.

I saw Gibbs-Lawhorn when he was at Montverde when I'd tune in to watch JHS play... I always thought his shot selection was actually worse than Curbelo's if you can believe that...

He never impressed me... normally when I hear a Boilermaker say, "we dodged a bullet there" I think they're in face saving mode from having lost a recruit... but in this case, I think they were spot on... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw Gibbs-Lawhorn when he was at Montverde when I'd tune in to watch JHS play... I always thought his shot selection was actually worse than Curbelo's if you can believe that...

He never impressed me... normally when I hear a Boilermaker say, "we dodged a bullet there" I think they're in face saving mode from having lost a recruit... but in this case, I think they were spot on... 

Right, is sounds like comparing him to Curbelo might be a complement which is what I meant. :)

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It didn’t seem to be a good fit 

just heard he played well in practice & scrimmages 

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Right, is sounds like comparing him to Curbelo might be a complement which is what I meant. :)

Understood...I was leaning more in the way Underwood seems to not be able to develop/keep a true point guard on his roster...Epps was another example...

The fact that they're going to play Rodgers at the point this year kinda reeks of desperation to me...I think he's a good, off the bench, energy type kid, but Underwood has played him at a lot of different positions (he tried using him to guard Trayce a couple of times when we beat them in Champaign...Didn't work so well...But then again, neither did Danja or Hawkins...Trayce dropped 35 on them :)...And was "held" to 26 in the 2nd game ) and he hasn't found his niche yet...

Also, the fact that they're vying with powerhouses like Colorado Stae, UC Santa Barbara, and Cal State Fullerton for a 2024 3 star combo guard (Jase Butler) tells me the word is getting around that Underwood might not be the coach for talented, high end guards...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Understood...I was leaning more in the way Underwood seems to not be able to develop/keep a true point guard on his roster...Epps was another example...

The fact that they're going to play Rodgers at the point this year kinda reeks of desperation to me...I think he's a good, off the bench, energy type kid, but Underwood has played him at a lot of different positions (he tried using him to guard Trayce a couple of times when we beat them in Champaign...Didn't work so well...But then again, neither did Danja or Hawkins...Trayce dropped 35 on them :)...And was "held" to 26 in the 2nd game ) and he hasn't found his niche yet...

Also, the fact that they're vying with powerhouses like Colorado Stae, UC Santa Barbara, and Cal State Fullerton for a 2024 3 star combo guard (Jase Butler) tells me the word is getting around that Underwood might not be the coach for talented, high end guards...

Gotcha. Part of that would be he's bringing in guards who probably aren't that good in the first place so that would be the evaluation part of the process which is failing him. They certainly don't get better under him though and might get worse.

He's an overrated coach and his teams are often overrated because of it.

• Like 1

The Wisconsin love feels misplaced to me. I get they had injuries, but this team wasn't good last season. They finished 12th in the 14 team Big Ten at both KenPom and Torvik, and about 60th overall. They bring back their entire roster, sure, but what good is it if that roster is mediocre? Their one big addition is a transfer guard who had a solid freshman season, but doesn't defend and will be going from literally the fastest team in 2023 to a program build around slowing things down. Seems like a terrible fit.

Wisconsin had a nice run in the NIT, beating Bradley, Liberty and Oregon before falling in the semifinals to North Texas. Before that though they had lost 12 of their previous 18 games. The Badgers love this preseason feels like textbook recency bias, like ranking UNC #1 overall after making a surprise run to the NCAA title game as an 8-seed.

• Like 4

Most underrated team

Indiana: Skepticism on Indiana stems from the Hoosiers losing their top four scorers from a team that finished tied for second in the Big Ten with a 12-8 league record. While the Hoosiers are light on continuity, they aren't lacking talent. A potential starting five of Xavier Johnson, Trey Galloway, Mackenzie Mgbako, Malik Reneau and Kel'el Ware is easily talented enough to finish higher than sixth in the Big Ten.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/big-ten-expert-picks-2023-24-predictions-projected-order-of-finish-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

• Like 4

I've read every prediction column that's been posted in this thread, and I come to one conclusion...

The thing all of the writers are really underestimating is Mike Woodson... We have as much raw talent with potential as we've ever had... and the doubts I see are all on whether the talent can be maximized and mesh...

So, as Woody always says, he has to get them "over the hump."

I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people this year... 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've read every prediction column that's been posted in this thread, and I come to one conclusion...

The thing all of the writers are really underestimating is Mike Woodson... We have as much raw talent with potential as we've ever had... and the doubts I see are all on whether the talent can be maximized and mesh...

So, as Woody always says, he has to get them "over the hump."

I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people this year... 

Don’t discount the importance of having someone like Calbert and the others on staff as well!

• Like 3

You can coach kids as hard as you want, but if they don't listen and "buy in", especially in games, then the coach may, or may not take action. (I think Woody would).

Flash back to the scene in Hoosiers where the rule was "pass the ball 4 times" (before a shot). A guard disregarded that rule and chucked up shots whenever he wanted. Found himself on the bench. But then the sub that replaces him (wasn't one in the movie, but would be in real life), isn't near as talented.

Flash back to Archie's last year. He lost the team. They no longer bought in to what he was selling. And there was no one else to turn to.

I sure hope we're better than expected, but I don't see us contending for a BIG title or even that deep of a run in the tournament. Just way too many new pieces of the puzzle. If Woody can get us competitive with everybody then, it'll be a good season IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

You can coach kids as hard as you want, but if they don't listen and "buy in", especially in games, then the coach may, or may not take action. (I think Woody would).

Flash back to the scene in Hoosiers where the rule was "pass the ball 4 times" (before a shot). A guard disregarded that rule and chucked up shots whenever he wanted. Found himself on the bench. But then the sub that replaces him (wasn't one in the movie, but would be in real life), isn't near as talented.

Flash back to Archie's last year. He lost the team. They no longer bought in to what he was selling. And there was no one else to turn to.

I sure hope we're better than expected, but I don't see us contending for a BIG title or even that deep of a run in the tournament. Just way too many new pieces of the puzzle. If Woody can get us competitive with everybody then, it'll be a good season IMO.

Remember a timeout after Geronimo lost his man for an easy three. As they were huddling Coach told him to sit down!

• Like 2